Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > What's your favorite Shakespeare play?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erin (last edited Oct 11, 2017 05:46AM) (new)

Erin (erinfwong) | 89 comments If you don't like shakespeare, that's ok too. You can share which one you didn't like and why :)

I loved Othello because Iago just took control of the playing field and manipulated everyone with a white handkerchief with embroidered roses. He is fascinatingly heroic in his own fervent, neurotic way...

description

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 24 comments My favorite is
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Its fairly fun and light hearted and ends well for all. It has love, jealousy, magic, fairies and more. What's not to love?
One of my favorite quotes from it:
“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”

My second favorite would have to be:
Henry V by William Shakespeare
I'm a history nerd, so I enjoyed this one on those grounds.
Plus it has some great scenes:
“We few. We happy few. We band of brothers, for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.”

“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (coffeeandliterature) The Tempest is definitely my favourite!

message 4: by Emelia (new)

Emelia  | 15 comments The Winter's Tale is one of my favorites.
I like it because Perdita goes through so much as a child, abandonment by her father King Leontes, raised by a shepard she falls in love with Prince Florizel but the Prince's father forbids the marriage and they run away.
In the end Leontes—still in mourning after all this time—greets the son of his old friend effusively. Florizel pretends to be on a diplomatic mission from his father, but his cover is blown when Polixenes and Camillo, too, arrive in Sicilia. What happens next is told to us by gentlemen of the Sicilian court: the Shepherd tells everyone his story of how Perdita was found, and Leontes realizes that she is his daughter, leading to general rejoicing. The entire company then goes to Paulina's house in the country, where a statue of Hermione has been recently finished. The sight of his wife's form makes Leontes distraught, but then, to everyone's amazement, the statue comes to life—it is Hermione, restored to life. As the play ends, Paulina and Camillo are engaged, and the whole company celebrates the miracle.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I havent read them all but of those I have read, a midnight summers dream.

message 6: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 41 comments Macbeth - the "cursed play" - has been my favourite ever since I first read it. Lady Macbeth is one of the reasons for it.

Latanya (Crafty Scribbles) (craftyscribbles) | 36 comments Hamlet and Othello

message 8: by maria (new)

maria (maria-blackthorn) I've only read Macbeth, Much Ado and Romeo & Juliet so my favourite is probably Macbeth... but I really love all three of them!!

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Three favorites, so far: The Winter's Tale, Macbeth, and Midsummer

message 10: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Brownlee (brownleeg) | 13 comments Hamlet is fantastic. Trying to figure out if he's crazy and if he is, when he actually went crazy is such an interesting discussion! And there are so many really amazing interpretations of it.

My favorite comedy is Much Ado About Nothing because of all the cleverness. Benedick and Beatrice have such entertaining ways of insulting each other, and they never lose that part of their relationship, even when their opinions of each other change.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Martin (andy112138) | 13 comments I'm not too well versed in Shakespearean works but my favorite play is hands down Othello. I actually left a review on in, which you can read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... The characters are all so amazing and Iago is such an amazing villain, even though I hate what he did to everyone else. He's so despicable but he's such a genius. I love the themes of jealousy and loyalty that are all over the play. I also really love the theme of time. Everything happens within a span of like two or three days, if I'm not mistaken, but the language used by the characters makes it feel like it's been going on for a lot longer, which also makes the reader lose track of time and sense of reality the way Othello does. The fact that it feels like the events have been transpiring for a longer time than they really did also may suggest that these problems that surfaced now may have actually been ongoing for a while but no one failed to acknowledge or realize these problems. It was just so beautifully written and it was such a compelling story.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinfwong) | 89 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm not too well versed in Shakespearean works but my favorite play is hands down Othello. I actually left a review on in, which you can read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......."

Oh my god I have to agree. Othello all the way. Absolutely brilliant play that made me laugh so much! I loved Iago, who was so bizarrely diabolical - he was the hero of the entire play. He's got some serious insecurities though - his wife, his position with Othello - you know, for some reason I'd like to think there's something romantic going on between him and Othello. He gets insanely jealous whenever Othello reminds everybody him and Desdemona are joined at the hip, he hates Cassio for being a pretty boy and getting close to Othello, and there's this really weird scene that sounds like a terrifying wedding ceremony in hell when they start practically reciting vows and get on their knees...what do you think?

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Martin (andy112138) | 13 comments Erin wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I'm not too well versed in Shakespearean works but my favorite play is hands down Othello. I actually left a review on in, which you can read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/s..."

Yeah Iago's main motivation is his jealousy and anger towards Othello. I think he has a bunch of insecurities too but I feel like his issues were more about his pride and ego. It's interesting that you may think that Iago had some sort of romantic feelings for Othello but I don't think it would quite add up with the story. I'm pretty sure he's jealous about Othello and Desdemona being this grossly cute couple who won't shut up about how amazing their relationship is because he's unhappy with his own marriage and, to add insult to injury, he believes that Emilia cheated on him with Othello. It could also be a race thing like he's probably so livid that someone he sees so lowly due to the color of his skin can live a way better life than him. Race was an important theme in this play after all! He hates Cassio because he thinks Cassio took a position that was rightfully his and was undeserving of it because the only thing going for him are good looks (which also ironically ended up being his downfall). Also, that vow scene sounds familiar but I can't quite remember it for some reason…

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Macbeth for sure! I just can't get over the brilliance that is Lady Macbeth. But Othello, Much Ado About Nothing and Taming of the Shrew are also faves!

I absolutely hate Hamlet and don't enjoy Romeo and Juliet either, though I like the rest that I've read and seen performed so far.

message 15: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments The only Shakespeare play I really like [that I have read/seen] is Titus Andronicus ...which probably says a lot about me lol. I also like the Romeo + Juliet movie with Leonardo Dicaprio but that is literally the only version of R&J that I can handle at all.

I think I have also read/seen ...Hamlet, MacBeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, and uh ...is there one about Julius Caesar? These were all like back when I was in school so my memory is hazy. Oh and Coriolanus, which is like ...I don't hate it but I don't really care about it either, idk I just never really got the whole Shakespeare craze, I find most of them boring at best and incredibly annoying at worst.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet.

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly  (passagetonarnia) | 12 comments Much Ado About Nothing! So funny :)

message 18: by quq (new)

quq  (190511) Idk any 😐

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments I was lucky enough to see Hamlet and Macbeth in Stratford a few years ago and owning The Complete Works of William Shakespeare is icing on the cake.

message 20: by Jordanne (new)

Jordanne (jordannedunn) I have only read a handful of his plays (and some overviews of other I plan to get to) but I think Much Ado About Nothing is always going to be my favourite as it was the first one I saw in the theatre and Benedick & Beatrice's relationship is just awesome.

On the other hand - despise Taming of the Shrew.

message 21: by Christie (new)

Christie (aurelas) | 19 comments it is so hard to choose. I first fell in love with Shakespeare over Julius Caesar, but it was meeting Lady Macbeth that made me into an addict. I still want to play that role someday! Macbeth is the one I have read the most and try to see the most. That said, dreamlike King Lear is the only one of his plays that actually made me cry, and I love it dearly too, just not as much as The Scottish Play. Hamlet I love mostly for Ophelia's sake--those mad scenes are just amazing. Some of the other lines will forever haunt me too, especially, "The time is out of joint..." And then there are the comedies...I think Twelfth Night is my favourite, quite possibly because of the movie version with Sir Ben Kingsley and Helena Bonham Carter. Hey ho, the wind and the rain! Much Ado About Nothing has great wordplay but some parts of the story are very disturbing. I haven't read them all or watched them all yet, but my least favourites would have to be The Merry Wives of Windsor (so beneath his talent!) and Romeo and Juliet, though I do love some of Mercutio's speeches. The Taming of the Shrew is problematic on multiple levels and yet if done right, it can be entertaining. I like the way it makes everyone uncomfortable and gets people thinking about women's rights. Sorry, I went way too long again. It's just a really hard one to answer quickly!

message 22: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 40 comments Twelfth Night, that's probably why my favorite film of all time is Shakespeare in Love. I also love Macbeth, I have since I was young. It's a great, psychological and haunting masterpiece. Since reading it, I've watched all the adaptations including the Japanese one called Throne of Blood.

message 23: by Leo (new)

Leo . Macbeth

message 24: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments Midsummer Nights Dream but not the version I saw once were in night shirts & a shopping trolley

message 25: by Tecla (new)

Tecla King Lear

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Robert Collins (stephenrobertcollins) | 99 comments I only dislike on play The Tempest

message 27: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) Hamlet! It's fantastic and I love it. But I've only read five Shakespeare plays so far, so my favorite might still change.

message 28: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 24 comments there are many i havent read, including quite a few of the major ones, so i think i'll go with as you like it

message 29: by Zofia (new)

Zofia (nebelmeer) storytime-reviews wrote: "Macbeth for sure! I just can't get over the brilliance that is Lady Macbeth. But Othello, Much Ado About Nothing and Taming of the Shrew are also faves!

I absolutely hate Hamlet and don't enjoy Ro..."

Macbeth and Othello are amazing! But why do you hate Hamlet so much?

message 30: by Bethany ♡ (new)

Bethany ♡ (bfmmcdermott) | 14 comments Macbeth!

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments Hamlet.

message 32: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments The Tempest or Midsummer Night's Dream.

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments Macbeth is my favorite! I just absolutely enjoyed every second of it! I even made a Facebook project using one of the characters from MacBeth. XD

message 34: by Ash (new)

Ash HC (ashwednesdayreads) fuckin love twelfth night and the tempest and hamlet's pretty tight too.

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (tudorgal18) | 4 comments Julius Caesar. :)

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura Elizabeth (laurareadsometimes) | 5 comments A solid tie between Macbeth and King Lear, for tragedies. A Midsummer Night's Dream for comedies.

message 37: by Reynar (new)

Reynar Swan (mysticabooks) | 8 comments Every single one of them.

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) King Lear

message 40: by Stefania (new)

Stefania Ioana | 35 comments I think Hamlet

message 41: by Alexandria (last edited Oct 01, 2019 07:41PM) (new)

Alexandria  St Delphi  (books__life) | 10 comments Hamlet forever💀👑 then Macbeth🗡

message 42: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Henry V

message 43: by Anum (last edited Oct 11, 2019 04:07PM) (new)

message 44: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 11 comments Macbeth!

message 45: by Irena (new)

Irena | 25 comments Hamlet by far

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ali Macbeth hamlet and the tempest for sure!

message 47: by Gerald (new)

Gerald (lasarmoon) | 130 comments Macbeth or Much Ado About Nothing :)

message 48: by Rumell (new)

Rumell Khan (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I love every one of them. Macbeth is my favourite.

~TARDIS_Erin~{She~They} | 16 comments I really liked Romeo and Juliet ( that’s the only one I’ve read tbh), but I also really want to read MacBeth and Hamlet

M.N. literary_rebel | 50 comments King Lear

« previous 1