Reading the 20th Century discussion

Archive > Kindle offers (2017-2019)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,545 (1545 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Nigeyb (last edited Nov 04, 2017 10:57AM) (new)

Nigeyb | 8557 comments Mod
Spotted a good deal at Kindle that could be of interest to other Reading the 20th Century group members? Please share the good news here.

This is not a thread for author's to promote their own work. We have a separate thread for that...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9069 comments Mod
Although I can only post discounts from Amazon UK (as I can only see those), please feel free to post any offers from wherever you are in the world. We currently have a sale on Amazon UK, with some books from our period:

Travellers in the Third Reich: The Rise of Fascism Through the Eyes of Everyday People (£1.49)
Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944-56 (£1.99)
Operation Fortitude: The Greatest Hoax Of The Second World War (£1.49)
The Jeeves Omnibus Vol. 1 (£1.99)
The Line of Beauty (1.19)

message 4: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 146 comments I have a tendency to check every day lately, but it also becomes a slow steady trickle of $. Still, it is hard to resist. Quite a pile of digital stuff out there. Over the last few years I have acquired numerous compilations from Delphi Classics. They are great deals as long as one likes to read in a Kindle format.

https://www.delphiclassics.com/

Amazon distributes them as well.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 15 comments Susan wrote: "Although I can only post discounts from Amazon UK (as I can only see those), please feel free to post any offers from wherever you are in the world. We currently have a sale on Amazon UK, with some..."

It's frustrating sometimes having a Spanish Kindle because I miss out on some great offers. Travellers in the Third Reich: The Rise of Fascism Through the Eyes of Everyday People looks fascinating, especially given the current world political climate, but it's not available at all on Kindle here :-(
Maybe I need to put the hardback on my Christmas wish list!

message 7: by Susan (new)

That sounds like a good idea, Pip :) I agree that it is difficult to see what is available where, sometimes.

message 8: by Judy (last edited Oct 23, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4274 comments Mod
Dean Street Press is republishing a lot of mid-20th century titles
under its Furrowed Middlebrow imprint - I think all or most of these are by women.

It regularly gives some of these away free (tends to be the same titles repeated every few months), and this week's giveaway is Bewildering Cares by Winifred Peck, the fictional diary of a vicar's wife during World War Two.

Bewildering Cares by Winifred Peck This is free until Friday and I believe this offer applies internationally. I've read this book and thought it was very good.

message 10: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 25 comments Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel
Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel is $1.99

message 11: by Susan (new)

A Delicate Truth A Delicate Truth by John le Carré is a kindle deal of the day today.

message 12: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 146 comments Miss M wrote: "Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel
Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel is $1.99"

Thank you Miss M - A delicious deal for a Russian Lit fan! :)

message 13: by Miss M (last edited Oct 26, 2017 02:38PM) (new)

Miss M | 25 comments Charley Is My Darling by Joyce Cary
Charley Is My Darling by Joyce Cary is free for Kindle.
Orig pub Michael Joseph, 1940

message 14: by Susan (new)

Kindle deal of the day today The Girls about Charles Manson (indirectly). Good read this and within our period.

If you’re lost, they’ll find you…

Evie Boyd is fourteen and desperate to be noticed.

It’s the summer of 1969 and restless, empty days stretch ahead of her. Until she sees them. The girls. Hair long and uncombed, jewelry catching the sun. And at their centre, Suzanne, black-haired and beautiful.

If not for Suzanne, she might not have gone. But, intoxicated by her and the life she promises, Evie follows the girls back to the decaying ranch where they live.

Was there a warning? A sign of what was coming? Or did Evie know already that there was no way back?

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Miss M wrote: "Charley Is My Darling by Joyce Cary
Charley Is My Darling by Joyce Cary is free for Kindle.
Orig pub Michael Joseph, 1940"

Thanks, this is still free!

message 16: by Susan (new)

A Beautiful Poison A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang a mystery set in Gilded Age New York is a kindle deal of the day today.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Two Christie books at 99p today: Hallowe'en Party and Agatha Christie's Complete Secret Notebooks (big price drop on this one, so snap it up if you are interested).

message 18: by Susan (new)

A Spell of Winter A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore Also came across this at 99p. I adore Helen Dunmore's novels.

message 20: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 146 comments Incredible! *sighs deeply*

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 10 comments As usual, the UK is getting the great Kindle offers! In the US, Brideshead is 11.99 and the Secret Notebooks aren't even available on Kindle.

message 22: by Susan (new)

This is not really our period, but knowing how much Judy loves Dickens, I thought I should point out that I found this at 99p Havisham

Also, Judy, have you seen a new book out? Mr Dickens and his Carol?

message 23: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 25 comments Five Sisters: The Langhornes of Virginia by James Fox is $2.99 in the US

The author of the bestseller White Mischief tells the story of the beautiful Langhorne sisters, who lived at the Pinnacle of high and powerful society from the end of the Civil War through the Second World War. Making their way across two continents, they left in their wakes rich husbands, fame, adoration, and scandal.
Lizzie, Irene, Nancy, Phyllis, and Nora were born in Virginia to a family impoverished by the Civil War. Their father remade his fortune by collaborating with the Yankees and building rail-roads; the sisters became southern belles and northern debutantes. James Fox draws on unpublished correspondence between the sisters and their husbands, lovers, children, and the powerful and glamorous of their day to construct a plural topography with the scope of a grand novel and the pace of a historical thriller.
At its center is the most famous sister, Nancy, who married Waldorf Astor, one of the richest men in the world. Heroic, hilarious, magnetically charming, and a bully, Lady Astor became Britain's first female MP, championing women's rights and the poor. The beautiful Irene married Charles Dana Gibson and was the model for the Gibson Girl. The author's grandmother, Phyllis, married a famous economist, one of the architects of modern Europe.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Not sure if anyone here is as huge a Shirley Jackson fan as I am, but some of her books are currently showing as reduced: The Haunting of Hill House £1.99, Dark Tales £1.99 and The Sundial 99p

message 25: by Nigeyb (new)

She is featured on the latest Backlisted Podcast Susan. I've never read her but the discussion has really inspired me to give her a try. Thanks. I'll be buying those.

message 26: by Susan (new)

I will have a listen, Nigeyb. We Have Always Lived in the Castle We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson is my absolute favourite, followed by Hill House.

message 27: by Nigeyb (new)

Susan wrote: "I will have a listen, Nigeyb. We Have Always Lived in the Castle is my absolute favourite, followed by Hill House."

That's what the discussion is about....

https://soundcloud.com/backlistedpod

or on iTunes etc

message 28: by Susan (new)

Thanks, Nigeyb. Will certainly have a look.

message 29: by Judy (new)

Belated thanks for the Havisham offer Susan - still 99p today and looks promising! I will also find out more about the other Dickens book.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Glad you managed to grab it while it was still reduced, Judy :)

message 35: by Susan (new)

A true crime classic is a kindle deal of the day today: Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi
My review if anyone is interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by Nigeyb (new)

That is indeed a true crime classic

Thanks Susan

message 37: by Susan (new)

It is a brilliant read, Nigeyb. If anyone is interested in true crime, I urge them to download this at such a bargain price.

message 38: by Nigeyb (new)

I read it as a teenager and was blown away by it. A very disturbing read - but grimly compelling too.

message 39: by Susan (new)

The Russian Countess: Escaping Revolutionary Russia £1.09, which is an odd figure!

message 40: by Susan (new)

There is a kindle deal of the day which looks interesting, but it is also a little confusing! The Deaths of Berlin: The second Otto Fischer novel The Deaths of Berlin The second Otto Fischer novel by Jim McDermott is the second in a series and I am unsure which is the first book in the series. It MIGHT be The Peenemunde Deceptions by James McDermott The Peenemunde Deceptions but I'm not really sure. If anyone knows, please post!

message 41: by Judy (new)

Susan wrote: "There is a kindle deal of the day which looks interesting, but it is also a little confusing! The Deaths of Berlin: The second Otto Fischer novel [bookcover:The Deaths of Berlin: Th..."

I just found the author's website, which doesn't have much on it, but says the fifth book in the series is due out this month.

The other 4 Otto Fischer books all have a number on them, so I think you can take it The Peenemunde Deceptions is indeed the first one - he also has a page on the site where he lists his sources for each book and puts The Peenemunde Deceptions first. Maybe he originally thought it might be a standalone?

message 42: by Susan (new)

Hmmm, thanks Judy. I am also assuming that is the first in the series, but it was difficult to be sure - however, if you think the same, I think that's the case.

message 43: by Judy (new)

I've just removed a self-promotion post. This thread is not for self-promotion, we have a separate section for that. Thanks all.

message 44: by Susan (new)

The Summer House Party The Summer House Party by Caro Fraser 99p today

In the gloriously hot summer of 1936, a group of people meet at a country house party. Within three years, England will be at war, but for now, time stands still.

Dan Ranscombe is clever and good-looking, but he resents the wealth and easy savoir faire of fellow guest, Paul Latimer. Surely a shrewd girl like Meg Slater would see through that, wouldn't she? And what about Diana, Paul's beautiful sister, Charles asher, the Jewish outsider, Madeleine, restless and dissatisfied with her role as children's nanny? And artist Henry Haddon, their host, no longer young, but secure in his power as a practised seducer.

As these guests gather, none has any inkling the choices they make will have fateful consequences, lasting through the war and beyond. Or that the first unforeseen event will be a shocking death.

message 45: by Susan (new)

A Foreign Field A Foreign Field by Ben Macintyre
Text only, kindle edition, 99p

message 46: by Susan (new)

Two interesting kindle deals of the day today. Firstly, Call for the Dead Call for the Dead (George Smiley, #1) by John le Carré the first George Smiley novel. If you haven't read this, then it's a great chance to start a wonderful series for less than a pound.

Secondly, The Long Drop The Long Drop by Denise Mina

I recently read a short story by Denise Mina in Bloody Scotland which really impressed me, so I will be giving this a try. It is apparently based on a true crime in 1950's Glasgow:

William Watt wants answers about his family's murder. Peter Manuel has them. But Peter Manuel is a liar.

William Watt is an ordinary businessman, a fool, a social climber.

Peter Manuel is a famous liar, a rapist, a criminal. He claims he can get hold of the gun used to murder Watt's family.

One December night in 1957, Watt meets Manuel in a Glasgow bar to find out what he knows.

Based on true events, The Long Drop is an extraordinarily unsettling, evocative and compelling novel from a writer at the height of her powers.

message 47: by Susan (new)

The Five Giants: A Biography of the Welfare State The Five Giants A Biography of the Welfare State by Nicholas Timmins £1.99 today

A LONGMAN/HISTORY TODAY BOOK OF THE YEAR

The award-winning history of the British Welfare State –
now fully revised and updated for the 21st Century.

‘A masterpiece’ Sunday Times

Giant Want. Giant Disease. Giant Ignorance. Giant Squalor. Giant Idleness.

These were the Five Giants that loomed over the post-war reconstruction of Britain. The battle against them was fought by five gargantuan programmes that made up the core of the Welfare State: social security, health, education, housing and a policy of full employment.

This book brilliantly captures the high hopes of the period in which the Welfare State was created and the cranky zeal of its inventor, William Beveridge, telling the story of how his vision inspired an entire country. The pages of this modern classic hum with the energies and passions of activists, dreamers and ordinary Britons, and seethe with personal vendettas, forced compromises, awkward contradictions, and the noisy rows of the succeeding seventy years. The Five Giants is a testament to a concept of government that is intertwined with so many of our personal histories, and a stark reminder of what we might stand to lose.

This is a new edition, but it isn't listed on Goodreads.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Russia: People And Empire, 1552 1917 Russia People And Empire, 1552 1917 by Geoffrey Hosking 99p

It is unlikely that a clearer, more stimulating account of the Russians’ extraordinary period of imperial history will be written.’ Philip Marsden, Spectator

Geoffrey Hosking’s landmark book provides us with a new prism through which to view Russian history by posing the apparently simple question: what is Russia’s national identity?

Hosking answers this with brilliant originality: his thesis is that the needs of Russia’s empire prevented the creation of a Russian nation. The Tsars, and before them the Grand Dukes of Moscow, were empire builders rather than nation builders and, as consequence, profoundly alienated ordinary Russians.

message 49: by Susan (new)

Blackshirt: Sir Oswald Mosley and British Fascism Blackshirt Sir Oswald Mosley and British Fascism by Stephen Dorril 99p

‘An important contribution to history.’
Roy Hattersley, New Statesman

‘Dorril takes us Into the dark alleys of the shady aristocrats, disillusioned generals, renegade politicians, sadistic thugs and lost romantics [of] British fascism.’
The Observer

`Easy-paced and entertaining, judicious — and damning. He works his way carefully through all the claims made for Mosley and shows how far each one is hollow, misconceived or false.’
London Review of Books

‘Deeply researched, scholarly, important . . . magnificently fleshes out a politician whose sense of personal destiny outstripped his sense of human decency.’
Scotland on Sunday

‘The authority of this book rests on thorough research.’
Sunday Telegraph

‘An exhaustively researched and provocative study.’
Sunday Times

‘Blackshirt is an unrelenting indictment . . . it is a book that rightly ensures that there can be no soft-focussed rehabilitation.’
The Observer

Hated and adored, trusted and feared, respected and scorned – public opinion has never been indifferent to Sir Oswald Mosley. A brilliant politician, Mosley turned his back on conventional party politics to found, in 1932, the British Union of Fascists.

Over the intervening years, many have worked hard to guard Mosley’s reputation but Blackshirt casts new light on the man. It reveals the true nature of his relationship with the Nazis, and challenges the prevailing view of his descent into anti-Semitism. With ground-breaking research, Stephen Dorril uncovers an extraordinary set of characters and behind-the-scenes friends and colleagues who supported Mosley - the crooks, swindlers, political and royal figures, secret agents, Nazi spies, lovers and ‘crackpots’ - and who helped to create the most infamous politician of the twentieth century.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31