Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Coffee Shops Say "Buy Something or Stop Using our Wi-fi"

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 08, 2009 08:19AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/...

I see the coffee shops' point. Coffee shops have to make money, too. And some people sit around all day on their computers, taking up coffee shop space, without paying much.

(However, as long as the coffee shop didn't have a security fee, and the signal is strong enough, people could just sit on the sidewalk outside and access the wi-fi.)

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
The coffee shop I worked for in Lawrence had this problem. It wasn't that big of a space, so when someone parked themselves all day it was very noticeable.
I know some shops I go to will give you a pass code (which changes constantly) on a little slip of paper only after you've purchased something.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You lived in Lawrence?

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

For a summer when my nephews were babies.

message 5: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) But then how will underemployed, wannabe writers fritter their days away?

I always buy something when I'm going to sit in a coffee shop, bar or restaurant for awhile. I'd feel too guilty taking up space without dropping a bit of cash, and more than $1.50 for a cup of regular coffee (or whatever one costs these days). I at least go for a nice $4 latte and a cookie, and I tip. Sometimes I can't spend much more than that because I'm an underpaid journalist and that $4 latte and cookie is a luxury (and could have bought a used book!), but I do believe if I'm going to park someplace I'm going to pay my way.

I do appreciate the places that offer free wifi, although when I'm trying to get something done I also appreciate those that don't.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Misha wrote: "to sit in a coffee shop, bar or restaurant for awhile"

I'm concerned about the comma usage here. Is this right? Isn't it coffee shop, bar, or restaurant?

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Either way is acceptable, I believe.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 08, 2009 09:51AM) (new)

I believe that either way is acceptable also.

message 9: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) We don't use serial commas in journalism, so I've grown accustomed to that. There's technically no hard or fast rule in English. You can write a list either with the serial comma or without.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_c...

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

I just like plenty of commas.

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally's a serial comma killer.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally, why, do, you, like, lots, of, commas, ?

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

No, no. I'm a serial comma advocate.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) a commaphile?

message 15: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I think it depends on context. I use a serial comma if I think it would be confusing not to, but for the most part I think they're unnecessary.

I think that makes me the serial comma killer, Larry. *sharpens knives*

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yikes! *runs away fast* And with no caffeine, it's even more dangerous.

message 17: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Misha tosses a freshly sharpened knife at Larry as he runs away. It lands in the door jamb with a resonant *thwing.* Larry pivots. His eyes are stark with fear.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 08, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Holy shit Larry, abandon the commas, I think she may be serious about this.

ETA: except for the baby commas we can't let her get her hands them.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

baby commas?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, before they become adolescent commas.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hello ... 911 ... I wanna report a baby comma abuser ....

message 22: by Rita (new)

Rita I think I'm a little in love with all of you.

I too, often obsess about grammar. To the extent that I listen to a podcast about it.

I'm still wrong a lot of the time.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Grammar girl, by chance?

message 24: by Rita (new)

Rita Sally, YES!!

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Splice?

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm a, commaphile, now.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) But ... what's, a, splice?

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ... and didn't know it, I guess.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah. Gotcha.

I once thought run-on sentences were chic.

It went against the grain, though, from what I learned from diagramming sentences in 5th grade.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Isn't it interesting how you often write like you read a little? So if you're reading, like Buns said, a lot of Victorians, you find yourself writing long sentences?

This is why we should all forgive Sally for the foreseeable future if she writes things like "If appears that..." or "According to these data..."

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments if you guys think i use bad grammar; remember, considering the source, that i use an iphone while wearing oven mitts when commenting!

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

Always?

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments no, not always? i sometimes have sock puppets on my hands instead'

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments The comma thing is correct either way, as long as it's consistent throughout the piece.

I don't know how anyone could go into a business and just stay there and not even buy a coffee or tea or whatever. I go to Borders for hours and write and I buy tea, and the refills are 50 cents and if I spend 4or 5 dollars for that and food, I feel like it's my rent on the table and my nourishment. They should go to the library if they don't want to even buy a drink!

message 35: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Kev, for you and your sock puppets:

Photobucket

And, as a bonus (cause it made me laugh):

Photobucket

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments egg-zactly Sher. when i use my sock puppet i always make him sing "i'm a lumberjack" or "i'm too sexy"

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.