Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Peter's Plan for 2018

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (last edited Oct 29, 2018 12:52AM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments I've been making my list as we went through the voting process, so I've got it mostly completed, but as with previous years, there will likely be a number of changes and swaps between now and next year once I see some of the books other people are planning to read. There will likely be even more changes throughout the year as I make my way through the list.

Here are my most anticipated reads of the year.

1. Iron Gold - This was supposed to be published in 2017, but with the publication date getting pushed back, I'm dying to get my hands on this one. This is the first of a new trilogy following the consequences and aftermath of the Red Rising series. The first trilogy quickly became some of my favourite books with some unforgettable characters. I cannot wait until it comes out!

2. Beasts Made of Night - This one just sounds like a really interesting concept and I'm very intrigued. A fantasy novel with a magic system based on killing magical beasts created by the sins of others wrapped up in a conspiracy, this one sounds like it offers some cool concepts. It will likely be one of my first reads of the year.

3. The Child Thief - I have to say I was really dreading the Gothic novel topic, but then I came across this one in my search. It looks dark, gritty, and terrifying. Everyone knows the story of Peter Pan, but the synopsis of this book turned the Gothic prompt from one of my most dreaded to one of my most anticipated reads!

4. Borne - This one caught my eye at the bookstore and ever since it seems to be gaining hype. The author has a few books out that are supposedly very unique and well written. I've heard great things about the author, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of story this turns into.

5. Ancillary Mercy - I have high hopes for the conclusion of this series. The first book absolutely blew me away and while the second was a little less exhilarating, it was still a well crafted novel. I'm really excited to see how things turn out in the conclusion and hope the third book ends as well as it started.

♻ = Potential to be swapped out
♫ = Planned as an audiobook
♾ = Series
⚠ = 500+ pages
★ = Star rating

Challenge Topics Completed: 23/52

message 2: by Peter (last edited Oct 28, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
Catalyst A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars) by James Luceno

2. A book from the first 10 added to your TBR
Watership Down
Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (based on the assumption this makes it into the Choice Awards)
Origin
Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown
★★★☆☆

4. Four books linked by the elements: Earth
The Fifth Season ♫ ♾
The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin

5. A book about or inspired by real events
Scrappy Little Nobody
Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
★★★☆☆

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
The Sixth Watch
The Sixth Watch (Night Watch #6) by Sergei Lukyanenko

7. A Gothic novel
The Wasp Factory
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
★★☆☆☆

8. An "own voices" book
Human Acts
Human Acts by Han Kang

9. A book with a body part in the title
Dragon Teeth
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton
★★★☆☆

10. An author's debut book
Senlin Ascends
Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1) by Josiah Bancroft
★★★★★

11. A literary fiction
The Child Finder
The Child Finder (Naomi Cottle, #1) by Rene Denfeld
★★★★☆

12. A book set in Africa or South America
Beasts Made of Night
Beasts Made of Night (Beasts Made of Night, #1) by Tochi Onyebuchi

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
The Racketeer
The Racketeer by John Grisham
★★★★☆

message 3: by Peter (last edited Oct 29, 2018 12:50AM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 14. Four books linked by the elements: Fire
The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles
The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles by Kij Johnson
★★★★★

15. A book with a unique writing structure/format
Omeros
Omeros by Derek Walcott
★★★☆☆

16. A narrative non-fiction
Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

17. A book you expect to make you laugh (pending publication)
The Thorn of Emberlain ♾ ⚠
The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4) by Scott Lynch

18. A book with a location in the title
Beartown
Beartown (Beartown, #1) by Fredrik Backman

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award of by a Grand Master author
Brilliant Death
A Brilliant Death by Robin Yocum

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe
★★★★☆

21. A book written in first person perspective
Ancillary Mercy
Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3) by Ann Leckie

22. A book you have high expectations for
Old Man's War
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi
★★★★★

23. A medical or legal thriller
The Rooster Bar
The Rooster Bar by John Grisham
★★★☆☆

24. A book with a map
Before They Are Hanged
Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2) by Joe Abercrombie
★★★★☆

25. A book with an antagonist/villain POV
Suspect Zero
Suspect Zero by Richard Kadrey
★★★★☆

26. A book with a text only cover
Beacon 23
Beacon 23 (Beacon 23, #1-5) by Hugh Howey

message 4: by Peter (last edited Oct 28, 2018 11:58PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 27. A book about surviving a hardship
Consider Phlebas
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

28. Four books linked by the elements: Water
Thunderhead ⚠ ♫
Thunderhead by Douglas Preston
★★★★☆

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or in the title
The Knife of Never Letting Go
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

30. A Short Book
Beasts of No Nation
Beasts of No Nation by Uzodinma Iweala

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit
Bridge of Birds ♻ ♾
Bridge of Birds (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1) by Barry Hughart

32. An alternate history book
Look Who's Back
Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes

33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you
Artemis
Artemis by Andy Weir
★★★★☆

34. A suggestion from the 2018 polls that didn't make it but was a close call (advanced technology)
The Ghost Brigades
The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2) by John Scalzi

35. A book featuring murder
Finders Keepers
Finders Keepers (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #2) by Stephen King

36. A book published in the last 3 years by an author you haven't read yet
Star Wars - Phasma
Phasma (Star Wars) by Delilah S. Dawson
★★☆☆☆

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner of nominee
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet ♾ ⚠
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers

38. A science or science-fiction book
Ahsoka
Ahsoka (Star Wars) by E.K. Johnston
★★★★☆

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Star Wars - Aftermath - Empire's End
Empire's End (Star Wars Aftermath, #3) by Chuck Wendig

message 5: by Peter (last edited Oct 29, 2018 12:00AM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 40. A book from Amazon's 100 books to read in a lifetime list
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death
Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade A Duty Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Dead Trees Give No Shelter
Dead Trees Give No Shelter by Wil Wheaton

42. A book that takes place on, in or under water
Kilo Class
Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2) by Patrick Robinson

43. A book with a title that is a full sentence
I'm Thinking of Ending Things
I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
★★★☆☆

44. A ghost story
Sing, Unburied, Sing
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
★★★★☆

45. A book that intimidates or scares you
Assassin's Apprentice ♫ ♾
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb
★★★★☆

46. Four books linked by the elements: Air
Arm of the Sphinx
Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2) by Josiah Bancroft
★★★★★

47. A book where the main character or author is of a different ethnicity/religion/identity to you
Mysterious Fragrance of the Yellow Mountains
Mysterious Fragrance of the Yellow Mountains by Yasuko Thanh

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
The Uncertain Hour: A Novel
The Uncertain Hour A Novel by Jesse Browner

49. A book from one of Goodreads Best Book of the Month lists
The Collapsing Empire
The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi

50. A book with a warm atmosphere
The African Queen
The African Queen by C.S. Forester

51. An award winning short story or collection
The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories
The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu

52. A book published in 2018
Iron Gold ⚠ ♾
Iron Gold (Red Rising Saga, #4) by Pierce Brown
★★★★★

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Haha, I like your plan :D

I read The Child Thief last year, it was pretty well done for a retelling with a nice horror side and some additional fantasy. I listened the audio and enjoyed the narrator.
5th season is dark but well fleshed and with a very interesting way to build the story/points of view, you'll probably enjoy it.
The Long Way and The Man Called Ove are lovely. I'm looking forward to more by both authors.
The Knife of Never should be a fast read, I highly recommend to continue the series as the sequels are way better than the 1st ;)

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Annnnnnnd, I've already changed things around, lol. I've switched the order of a few things and taken out a few titles I was having trouble tracking a copy down. There are still a few I might not be able to track down, but I had about 12 my library didn't have, so changed things up a bit. The ones that are left that I have to track down I have more interest in, and I'll try doing an inter-library loan. I've also filled in the Goodreads Choice Awards based on the prediction from other members here that The Hate U Give is a really good candidate for a nominee if not a winner.

There are a couple books that might change based on whether or not they get published or whether or not other books get published that I can swap in (I'm looking at you Martin and Rothfuss...). Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my plan so far. I know there will be more changes along the way, lol.

I've heard great things about The Fifth Season but I've tried to finish or catch up to the current publication of a few series I'm reading before starting an in depth new one. I'm a little undecided about A Man Called Ove; I've only heard good things, but it's a little outside of the kind of books I normally read (I tried to take part in the Feel-Good Reads thread, and realized I really don't read a lot of books like that... lol).

message 8: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I love your plan! You have so many good books. I really hope you enjoy the Child Thief. It was one of my favorites of the year from 2016. I highly recommend Ove. It is such a brilliant book, and I have never felt so much adoration for a grumpy old man.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 460 comments Great list! I hope you love The Three Body Problem as much as I did (the whole trilogy was fantastic)!

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 977 comments The Fifth Season was my choice too, for the "Earth" prompt. I've been wanting to read it for ages. I loved A Man Called Ove and The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet from your list. The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Three-Body Problem seem really interesting, I'm adding them to my TBR.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments Lots of great books here. I read The Bear and the Nightingale this year, and it's just fantastic. She's about to come out with the second in the series.

message 12: by Peter (last edited Oct 25, 2017 08:31PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments Thanks! Just getting back from vacation so I haven't been on here much to reply to anything.

Good to know some of my choices have been well received by others. I'm actually really looking forward to The Child Thief.

The Bear and the Nightingale has been one I've been on the fence about for a while, but I keep hearing really good things about it!

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments If you are ditching a Backman book, I would drop Beartown and keep Ove. Ove has heart...beartown has teen stereotypes.

message 14: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I think I will add Child Thief as my gothic read. It was one I was not sure about.

message 15: by Sophie (last edited Nov 16, 2017 01:12AM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I love the ♫ symbol for audiobooks, I'm definitely going to steal your idea ;)

I'm reading Borne right now. I really like it and at 30% I'm really curious to see which direction it is going to go.

I realised while browsing your list that I already have Look Who's Back, but never added it to my TBR!

Even if A Man Called Ove isn't what you normally read, I highly recommend you give it a try! You might be surprised ;)

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2544 comments For #3 (Goodreads awards), since you like SF you might like Home (Binti #2). The first book is a novella. Home is less than 200 pages. I'm finding it really interesting and an easy read.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Thanks Sophie! I got the idea from someone else last year and thought it was a neat way to track things. I'm really interested in Borne so I'll be interested in what you have to say when you finish it.

Pam, I've taken a look at the book you mentioned. I've been interested in some of the same author's other books, but for some reason, I cannot find a copy of her books at any of the libraries around me.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2544 comments Peter - Does your library offer ILL services, where they will put a request out for you to other libraries to borrow a book they don't have? I hope you can get your hands on a copy! She's a good writer and very imaginative.

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I've made a few changes and updates - mostly to make room for books I haven't (and likely won't) get to this year that I still really want to read. I was able to swap out a lot of the books I was having trouble getting a copy of though.

Pam I must have missed your reply, I'm just seeing it now - Yes, my library does offer ILL services, but it's hit and miss with things. I did use it once last year though. But my recent changes to my list should help me eliminate the need for ILL services except for a few books.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennabgemini) | 184 comments Angie wrote: "Lots of great books here. I read The Bear and the Nightingale this year, and it's just fantastic. She's about to come out with the second in the series."

That was literally my top book for 2017. It blew me away!

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Thanks to Sophie, I'll be able to keep Look Who's Back on my list, which I'm actually really excited about! I think it'll be my first read of the year!

message 22: by Tamula (new)

Tamula | 50 comments Look forward to hearing what you think of Look Who's Back. I got a copy from Book Outlet after hearing Steve Donoghue recommend it on Booktube but I haven't read it yet.

message 23: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Iron Gold (Red Rising, #4) by Pierce Brown

It's Here!!!!!!!!!! Just delivered to my kindle yesterday. I've had it on pre-order since you mentioned it in the last challenge! I just have to finish the series. Are you so excited??!

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments I can't wait!! I went to the library yesterday and asked about it. They have 4 copies on order and I'm number 12 on the wait list!

message 25: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

🎉😀

message 26: by Peter (last edited Mar 27, 2018 09:16PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments Slow start to the first quarter of the year... I got a few reads in, but my time has been focused elsewhere as my wife and I are expecting our first child any day now.

I would definitely recommend Artemis for anyone who liked The Martian or for people who prefer lighter sci-fi mixed with action. The Child Finder is the best book I've read so far this year, and worth checking out too. It's an eerie book that touches on the complexity of childhood trauma and the author manages to create a sympathetic villain - one who's actions are by no means acceptable but who's pain can be seen by the reader. It also definitely sets up a sequel or possibly a series but is done well and very much has more to the story without leaving loose ends with this installment.

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments IT'S HERE!!

My hold for Iron Gold just came in at the library!! I'm so excited to start this book!

message 28: by Peter (last edited Sep 09, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments So I'm well behind on this year's challenge, but I guess that's what a your first baby will do lol! Despite how busy things have been this year, I'm trying my best to catch up and read a little more.

Even though I haven't read a lot lately, I've read a couple really great books. Senlin Ascends and Old Man's War are two of my favourite books I've read this year. I'm working my way through Arm of the Sphinx (sequel to Senlin Ascends) on audio right now and just got The Wasp Factory and The Ghost Brigades (sequel to Old Man's War) from the library. Once I get my way through those I plan on finishing up the Ancillary series with the highly anticipated Ancillary Mercy.

So now I've got the next little while planned out for reading, I just need to stick to it!

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 928 comments Congrats on the baby, Peter. They are worth the inconvenience. :)

message 30: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

haha Peter , yes a baby is a great reason to get behind in your reading! Enjoy him now, they grow up way too fast!! And a belated congratulations on being a new dad!!

Did you get to read Iron Gold?? I'm planning on doing the whole series for next year somehow, even if its as side reads or part of the rejects list. I am so excited! I just loved the first book and can't wait to read them all :-)

message 31: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Haha, yea, less reading time is definitely worth the trade off of spending time with my wife and our son as he grows and explores things. His smile is literally my favourite thing in the world, and I love watching him learn and do new things. He's just starting to become mobile - he can't quite fully crawl yet, but we can tell he wants to and he can do a sort of army shuffle combined with rolls, so it won't be long.

Tracy wrote: "Did you get to read Iron Gold?"

I did read Iron Gold. I really liked it, but not as much as the original trilogy (but was still 5 stars from me).

By far Morning Star is the best of the series. The characters are just so fleshed out and there was so much happening and on top of being great sci-fi, it hits hard with the emotional punches too. I would say Iron Gold was on par with Red Rising - it's a strong opener and does a good job moving characters into place and establishing the framework needed for the rest of the series to play out.

I'm very interested to see what direction things will go with the rest of the series and as with the first trilogy, fully expect the tension to ramp up with each book.