Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > COMPLETED-Joanie Balonie's 2018 Reading Plan

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Joan (last edited Dec 29, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Last year I tried to read all the books I already had but got distracted with shiny group reads and buddy reads. For this coming year I accept ahead of time that I will get distracted and change my list a number of times. I seem to like reading library books more than the books that I own. I did get a good chunk of them read last year at least.

The 2018 List

✅1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title - Thirteen Reasons Why
✅2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list - Open 🎧
✅3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) - Caraval
✅4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) - The Green Hills of Earth
✅5. A book about or inspired by real events - Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield 🎧
✅6. A book originally written in a language other than English - Beartown
✅7. A gothic novel - The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
✅8. An "own voices" book* - The Hate U Give
✅9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
✅10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) - Throne of Glass
✅11. A literary fiction - Middlesex
✅12. A book set in Africa or South America - Tarzan of the Apes
✅13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) - Little Fires Everywhere
✅14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire - Heir of Fire
✅15. A book with an unique format/writing structure -Illuminae
✅16. A narrative nonfiction - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 🎧
✅17. A book you expect to make you laugh - Seriously... I'm Kidding 🎧
✅18. A book with a location in the title The Last Town
✅19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) -Before the Fall
✅20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends - Sophie - Wayward
✅21. A book written in first person perspective -Ready Player One
✅22. A book you have high expectations or hope for - Behind Closed Doors
✅23. A medical or legal thriller - Sycamore Row
✅24. A book with a map - Crown of Midnight
✅25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view -Six of Crows
✅26. A book with a text only cover - What Happened 🎧
✅27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) - Wonder
✅28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water - Eversea
✅29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) - The Subtle Knife
✅30. A short book - The War of the Worlds
✅31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to - Mansfield Park
✅32. An alternate history book - The Underground Railroad 🎧
✅33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) - The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. 🎧(Martin Luther King Day - was my word)
✅34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) - an author who uses initials - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
✅35. A book featuring a murder - The Girl In The Ice
✅36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before - The Couple Next Door
✅37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee - The Secret Life of Bees 🎧
✅38. A science book or a science fiction book - All Systems Red
✅39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title - 84, Charing Cross Road
✅40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link) - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
✅41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials - The Golden Compass Philip Pullman
✅42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater - The River at Night
✅43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
✅44. A ghost story - The Haunting of Hill House
✅45. A book that intimidates/ scares you - Alexander Hamilton 🎧
✅46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air - All the Birds in the Sky
✅47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own - Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
✅48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)-Pride - The Picture of Dorian Gray
✅49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link) The Girl with All the Gifts
✅50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) - Leah on the Offbeat
✅51. An award-winning short story or short story collection - There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales
✅52. A book published in 2018 - The Immortalists

▶️ - Currently reading
✅ - Completed
🎧 - Audiobook

message 4: by Joan (last edited Jan 13, 2019 03:47PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Series I want to start:
Illuminae - read the 1st book
Red Rising
Red Queen
Six of Crows - read the 1st book
Court of Thorn and Roses
Throne of Glass - read the first 4 books
Outlander
✅His Dark Materials

Series I want to finish:
Harry Potter - 4,5,6, 7 and the Cursed Child - read 4,5,6
✅Pines - Need to read Wayward and The Last Town
The Mortal Instruments - Need to Read 5 and 6
Black Dagger Brotherhood - or at least finish the ones I have

Buddy Reads Planned
✅January - Caraval, Ready Player One, Throne of Glass
✅February - Mansfield Park, The Girl with All the Gifts, Crown of Midnight
✅March - The Golden Compass, Six of Crows, Heir of Fire
✅April - The Subtle Knife, Queen of Shadows
✅May - The Amber Spyglass, The Chemist,
✅June - Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
✅July - The Couple Next Door, Leah on the Offbeat
✅August - Behind Closed Doors
✅September - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, Angela's Ashes
October - none
✅November - Tarzan of the Apes
✅December - Turtles All the Way Down, The Girl in the Ice

Group Reads
✅January - The Picture of Dorian Gray
✅February - The Hate U Give
✅March - Wonder
✅April - Beartown
✅May - Middlesex
✅June - 84, Charing Cross Road
✅July - Little Fires Everywhere
✅August - The Underground Railroad
✅December - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, A Christmas Carol

Books I read that didn't count towards my challenge
Who Moved My Cheese?
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
The 4-Hour Workweek
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence
The Chemist
Queen of Shadows
The Amber Spyglass
I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness, to the Blind Side, and Beyond
Angela's Ashes
Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
Everyone Communicates, Few Connect: What the Most Effective People Do Differently
Outliers: The Story of Success
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
Wires and Nerve
Artificial Condition
Turtles All the Way Down
Gone Rogue

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I've been working on my 2018 list but feeling like I'm missing something. At least I've learned from this year not to go out and buy some of the books because I seem to be fickle. I seem much more interested in the library books and audio books and I get sidetracked with buddy reads and group reads. I tried to work some non-fiction in there so that I can listen to audio books. I'm slowly trying to work in my "to read soon" list but I'm feeling like some of them aren't fitting.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments What is it that you think you are lacking? It looks like you have a lot of interesting choices and back ups to read! Good idea on getting library books and audio books. Much cheaper than buying them all!

message 7: by Joan (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:03PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Tammy wrote: "What is it that you think you are lacking? It looks like you have a lot of interesting choices and back ups to read! Good idea on getting library books and audio books. Much cheaper than buying the..."

I think I feel like I'm missing some fun ones. I've just finished The Lunar Chronicles series and I think I'm in that place where I'm missing those characters. It was a fun series. It feels like my list is too serious I think.

I definitely didn't buy them all last year. I tried to read books I already had and that I got for gifts. I probably bought about 6 for prompts and then for a couple of those I changed my mind. Probably half of my books last year were library books.

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I can see what you mean. The Help is good. Hitchhikers guide is funny (but strange). I recall liking Where the Heart Is. All the Light We Cannot is good. Maybe you can throw in another funny classic or two to give you some to really look forward to!

message 9: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Your list seems balanced so far with some light reads and others more serious, but depending your mood, maybe you'll need something else. It could help to try to use some sequels you're eagger to read :)

message 10: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments You have a great list, Joan. Lots of book I'm considering and some that I've really enjoyed reading.

Fredrik Backman's books are light and funny, so they are a good choice if you need a bread from the more serious books.
I've just bought Beartown but I don't think I can wait till next year before I read it.

message 11: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I know exactly what you mean, Joan. I tend to get too focused on choosing books that I feel I need to read and forget to just have some fun. I think it’s why I failed in 2016. You can always add a fun book in if you need to. 😊

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is funny if you like the absurd (I do), The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is a lovely read, and I also enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind.

message 13: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I just realized I'm only going to get through book 5 of the Harry Potter Series this year which means I have to squeeze 6 and 7 in my list as well as The Cursed Child. I put 6 in the body part one. I don't know where to squeeze the others.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Deathly Hallows could work for topics 1 ATY in title, 13 a secret (there are lots of secrets going on in HP), maybe 20 rated 5 stars be a friend, maybe 48 7 deadly sins, since Voldemort embodies pride, greed & wrath.

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Katie wrote: "Deathly Hallows could work for topics 1 ATY in title, 13 a secret (there are lots of secrets going on in HP), maybe 20 rated 5 stars be a friend, maybe 48 7 deadly sins, since Voldemort embodies pr..."

I guess I just have to move them around until it makes sense. I vowed I would leave my list more open this year but it doesn't look like I'm achieving that!!

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Hahaha, this is my first year of actually planning all my books out ahead of time & though I don't know know if I'm going to be able to maintain it as I go throughout the year, the list does seem somehow sacrosanct.

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie | 691 comments I love The Help - it's both fun and serious. It would work perfectly for the warm atmosphere prompt at #50. I'd be really surprised if it didn't make you laugh as well, so you could add it as an option for #17 to give yourself more choices.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2526 comments There are some fabulous books on your list! I highly recommend both of your #46 choices- Winds of War and Shadow of the Wind. I suggest finding a way to fit both of them in. I also loved Red Rising, Flowers for Algernon, and Angela's Ashes! Have fun with your challenge.

message 19: by MJ (last edited Nov 26, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

MJ | 666 comments This is a good list! I get what you mean about the fun reads and i think that can be a problem for me if i concentrate on my tbr list. My trouble this year was that there were too many books i wanted to read that i could not fit into my challenge... i did a lot of side reads...that is one reason why i won't finish the list.

I try to limit my books to what i can get from the library. I read way too many books and i prefer paper over electronic... i'd be buried by bookshelves if i bought them all!

message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments MJ wrote: "This is a good list! I get what you mean about the fun reads and i think that can be a problem for me if i concentrate on my tbr list. My trouble this year was that there were too many books i want..."

Thanks! I've been updating it and revising it as I think of things I want to read.

I went back through my side reads for 2017 and was able to add a bunch to catch me up. I only have 3 left for 2017! I'm excited to read a couple for fun at the end of the year that I couldn't figure out where to slip in.

I actually did go through my tbr today and trimmed some of the books off the list that I couldn't remember why they were on there. Too many books too little time!!!

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Great list of books! I made one too, but I know I will be moving things around also. I have a separate goal to read more of the books on my own bookshelves--I am trying to get them to fit in the topics as well.

message 22: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Stephanie wrote: "Great list of books! I made one too, but I know I will be moving things around also. I have a separate goal to read more of the books on my own bookshelves--I am trying to get them to fit in the to..."

I stalked your list for 2018. You have a lot of great ones on there like Cinder, Jane Eyre, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, etc. You'll have a good year! We have a lot of book in common as well. I wrote down Pointe off of your list. That might interest me since my daughter takes Pointe. I normally buy the ones that I think she will read also since she can't read electronic devices in school. I hope you enjoy the challenge!

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments Joan wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Great list of books! I made one too, but I know I will be moving things around also. I have a separate goal to read more of the books on my own bookshelves--I am trying to get the..."

Thanks! :) I hope you enjoy it as well.

message 24: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I have been tweaking my list. My other group is setting up their buddy reads so I had to do some shuffling of some books and adding a new series. I'm excited about 2018. Just have one book left for 2017 which I need to stop planning 2018 and read the last book for the 2017 challenge.............

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I added Wonder to my plan. I'm itching to read that one and then watch the movie. I also came across a weird story collection that won an award that I added to my list. I'm intrigued on this one. The title is horrible though. It is There Once Lived a Woman Who Tried to Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales. I think I'm definitely going to read that one. I couldn't find it at the library though.

I'm excited to get reading!

message 26: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I'm excited! I just ordered some books from Amazon with my gift card. These books I couldn't find at my library. I ordered:
Everything Is Illuminated for my text only
The Green Hills of Earth for the earth prompt
Open for a book on my first 10 of my TBR

I was also at Books a Million today and they had the hardcover for $5.97 for Illuminae - I don't normally buy hardcovers but the cover is so cool on this book. I couldn't resist.

Thankfully I have some buddy reads or I wouldn't know where to start because I'm so excited about the new year in books!

message 27: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Enjoy your List Joanie!!

I hope you read The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane, The Poisonwood Bible, Henrietta Lacks, 11/22/63, Red Rising, Middlesex, and Where the Heart is. I loved them all. Also Outlander is one of my all time favs, but its not for everyone.

Great picks :-)

message 28: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I completed my first book for the challenge. Ready Player One was a fun first book. I enjoyed all of the 80's references and the suspense in the book. I rated it 4 stars. I felt like I figured out what was going to happen in a lot of places but it was still a fun read.

I'm reading Open as an audio book. I should have that completed the first of next week. Throne of Glass is the next book that I'm going to start.

1/52

message 29: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Joan wrote: "I completed my first book for the challenge. Ready Player One was a fun first book. I enjoyed all of the 80's references and the suspense in the book. I rated it 4 stars. I felt like..."

Congrats on finishing your first book of the year! So glad to hear you liked it - it's been on my TBR for quite awhile but I haven't gotten around to it. I probably should read it before the movie comes out.

message 30: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I took off some possibilities for prompts since I already have the book or I am doing a buddy read for. I have to figure out where to put The Girl with All the Gifts. I forgot about that buddy read and I haven't added in the Throne of Glass series besides the first book. I also forgot about The Night Circus. Actually I had it in my Caraval slot but I've already started Caraval so I took the other possibilities off.

message 31: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I think I'm changing my #48 deadly sins one to The Picture of Dorian Gray. There is a group read on it this month and it looks intriguing. I already put it on hold at the library. That will also help me keep up with reading one classic a month.

message 32: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The Night Circus could work for a location in the title. Maybe gothic book too.
For The Girl, it can work for hardship and I also think for the sins (I'd say that one character is greedy and there's definitely some gluttony involved).

message 33: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Zaz wrote: "The Night Circus could work for a location in the title. Maybe gothic book too.
For The Girl, it can work for hardship and I also think for the sins (I'd say that one character is greedy and there'..."

I think I'm going to read The Picture of Dorian Gray for the sins one. I just got it from the library. Another group is doing it as their group read and it intrigued me. I hadn't heard of it before.

message 34: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I feel like I'm on a roll. I just completed Open on audio. Andre Agassi has always been my favorite athlete. My favorites tend to be the ones that come back from adversity. I really enjoyed his book. I rated it 5 stars. I'm currently reading Caraval. It seems to be a quick read. It shouldn't take that long depending on my work schedule. I also just received The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on audio from the library that I'll be starting tomorrow. Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield also just came in on my hold's list. I'll be picking that up tomorrow. January should end up being a good month for the challenge for me.

2/52

message 35: by Joan (last edited Jan 13, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I just completed Caraval. It was a fun book. I rated it 4 stars. The next book in the series might end up being the one that I read for a book being published in 2018.

I'm starting Throne of Glass next. I'm still listening to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on audio. It is interesting so far to see what the cells have done for the medical community. I also can't wait to start Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield on audio. Also I ended up grabbing Seriously... I'm Kidding audio off the shelf at the library. That one seems to be a quick one. It was only three discs.

The beginning of the year is definitely fun with all the possibilities of books to read for the year and deciding what order and where to get the books from.

3/52

message 36: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I finally have some ideas about what to read for a book published in 2018.

I'm still stuck on the born on one but I think I'm making it too hard. I have a lot of words given my old birth year!!! Martin Luther King Day is a word as well as homophobia, antigay, DUI, megastar, and sport utility vehicle. Those catch my eye. I was thinking of reading a biography on MLK but considering reading an LGBT book. I'd welcome any suggestions anyone has!

message 37: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments there's certainly no shortage of books that deal with homophobia, especially in YA. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Will Grayson, Will Grayson would be good ones, and theyre on my list as well. Call Me by Your Name would also work. I haven't read it but the movie was absolutely fantastic!

message 38: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I completed Throne of Glass. It was a slow start to the book at first but the last half definitely picked up. I'm invested in the series now so I will continue with it.

Next up is The Picture of Dorian Gray. This is a group read in my other book and it helps out with my classics list. I put it under the 7 deadly sins prompt.

I should finish the audio for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks tomorrow.

I went ahead and ordered a Martin Luther King biography on audio from the library for the born on date prompt. I've been wanting to read something more on him. It was tempting to do the homophobia word but I felt like this was my opportunity to learn more about MLK.

4/52

message 39: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 21, 2018 12:08PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Sabrina wrote: "there's certainly no shortage of books that deal with homophobia, especially in YA. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Homophobia in adult fiction The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

message 40: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I feel like my plan to get ahead early is working. I've been listening to all of my audio books for the challenge. I've completed 3 audio books and 3 regular books already. I have Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield to start tomorrow. I ordered a Martin Luther King audio but it looks like one of those items the library can't find so I'll probably never get it. I'll have to find another one.

Seriously... I'm Kidding was a quick fun book. Sometimes her ramblings got on my nerves but most of the time it is funny. I love how her mind works and I've always liked her sense of humor.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was very interesting. Some of the stories about the family I didn't think were necessary. I was completely interested in what happened with all the work that the cells have been involved in. I was also completed interested in what happened to Lack's daughter that was institutionalized and what they do with everyone's tissues today.

6/52

message 41: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I just completed Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield. What an awesome non-fiction book. I learned a lot. I think I heard about it through one of Reese Witherspoon's favorite books. It was really good. I rated it 5 stars.

I also just finished up The Picture of Dorian Gray. This helped my classics list. It was a group read in another group. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I rated it 4 stars only because of this one chapter that drove me a little nuts.

8/52

message 42: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Great thread you have going here. Looks like you are chugging right along.

message 43: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I completed The Girl with All the Gifts. I got bored with it about 2/3 but it picked back up. It is not normally my kind of book but it was great for a different read. I ended up rating it 3.5 stars. I also just watched the movie. I definitely enjoyed the book more. A little too much gore and yucky sound effects in the movie. Definitely not my type of movie but I was interested to see how they did it.

I'm about ready to startThe Hate U Give. I'm excited for this one and hoping for a fast read. An audiobook just came in the library for my born on prompt. I got a Martin Luther King biography since Martin Luther King Day was born in my birth year.

9/52

message 44: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Well I read The Hate U Give in less than 24 hours. I could not put that book down. It had a lot of emotion in it and I loved the dialogue. Definitely a 5 star.

Next I'm reading Crown of Midnight. I haven't fit it into my ATY plan this year. I'll try to squeeze it in if I'm behind at the end of the year. I'm reading the series as a buddy read.

I started My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry a couple of weeks ago and I just haven't been in the mood for it. I need to get through my buddy reads and a lot of these books have been from the library and I have to get them back. There isn't a wait list for My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry so I guess that is another reason why I haven't been in a hurry.

10/52

message 45: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I finished Crown of Midnight. I decided to put it in #24 A book with a map. I liked the book and now can't wait to read the next in the series.

11/52

message 46: by Joan (last edited Feb 24, 2018 06:13AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I read Wonder for surviving the hardship prompt #27. I enjoyed it. It was another quick read. I'm currently reading Mansfield Park. I'm reading it for prompt #31 a country you'd never been to but would like to visit. I have never been off of the North American continent which I'd like to change someday soon. I live in the US and only have been to Mexico and Canada. My husband doesn't have any interest in going abroad so I'd have to find a buddy. Oddly enough I just got my passport because my son is going to Costa Rica in June and knowing that I have a passport in case I need to go and get him for any reason helps me sleep at night.

12/52

message 47: by Joan (last edited Mar 04, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I finally finished Mansfield Park. It took me awhile to get through but that was mostly because I was busy. I ended up rating it 3 stars. I didn't like it as much as her other books.

I've already started The Golden Compass. I'm reading it as a buddy read. It has my attention so far. I'm 2 chapters in and trying to figure out what the mystery is all about.

I'm also listening to The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. on audiobook. I'm a little more than halfway through. It is fun to listen to because they have his actual speeches on there. Driving to work on Friday I listened to his "I Have a Dream" speech. It gave me chills.

13/52

message 48: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments I finally finished The Golden Compass. It took me 2 weeks. I just wasn't that into it. I have the other two books planned as a buddy read and now I'm wondering if I should continue the series. I just wasn't attached to the characters. I rated it 2.5 stars and rounded down on Goodreads to a 2 star.

I completed The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr.. I did it as an audio and it was amazing because it had his live speeches on there as well as his story. I recommend it! I rated that 5 stars.

I changed my #14 fire prompt to Heir of Fire. I really wanted to use Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in that spot but I promised myself that I would fill the prompts with whatever book I'm reading and not try to stick to my plan so much. I'm sure I can fit Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in another prompt somewhere.

15/52

message 49: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I’m definitely with you on The Golden Compass. I found I liked the next one more, but the last was the worst of the three. It felt a bi convoluted and I didn’t care at all for the characters (they didn’t grow on me either).

message 50: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Jody wrote: "I’m definitely with you on The Golden Compass. I found I liked the next one more, but the last was the worst of the three. It felt a bi convoluted and I didn’t care at all for the characters (they ..."

It's frustrating because the second one fits that Clue prompt so perfectly. I'm still undecided if I'm going to read it or not.

« previous 1 3