Just One More Page! discussion

Let's Join! > Recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) So I just recently read a couple of really great contemporary reads- I don't normally take on that genre. Does anyone have any awesome recommendations? I'm starting to get into it :)

message 2: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) I also haven't really read any John Green, other than The Fault in Our Stars 😬 Which of his books should I start with?

message 3: by Celia (new)

Celia  (celiaisreading) | 60 comments Mod
From John Green I´ve read The Fault In Our Stars, Papertowns, Looking for Alaska and Two Boys Kissing.
I didn´t enjoyed Two Boys Kissing a lot, but Papertowns and Looking for Alaska were very interesting and with great writing so I recommend it :)

Also, if you like cute things, Rainbow Rowell´s books Eleanor & Park and Fangirl are for you ;)

message 4: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) Yay! Thank you! I just bought Turtles All the Way Down and I've read Fangirl and Eleanor & Park, but it's been a while. :)

message 5: by Celia (new)

I want to get Turtles All The Way Down but they I have to wait until Amazon ships English copies to Spain or something like that :/

(Elenor & Park is so cuteeee, but also so sad)

message 6: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) Ahh, man.

Yes! I liked it, but don't remember too much.

message 7: by Celia (new)

I read it last year around 4 times hehe

message 8: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) Someone told me that Sarah J Maas is fabulous and I need to read her books, but I don't know what series to start with. Help? :)

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelbykay0616) | 3 comments I haven't read any of Sarah J Maas, but I have heard they are great. Has anyone read "Nyxia" by Scott Reintgen yet? It just came out in September I believe. I'm not usually one for space-y sci-fi kind of stuff, but it sounds pretty good. I'm currently waiting for it to come in for me at the library so I'm hoping I'll like it.

message 10: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) Ooh, I haven't heard of that yet! I'll check it out!

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7 comments As far as John Green goes, I'd definitely read Looking for Alaska next. Paper Towns had its moments, but I think it dragged a little in the middle.

I wouldn't bother with An Abundance of Katherines.

I did enjoy his contribution to Let It Snow, which was written in sections by three different authors. The three separate stories tie together in the end.

Green is great at those ridiculous teen moments, and the kids driving in the snow and the sledding/chase scene down a closed expressway in Let It Snow had me laughing so hard I had to set the book down.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read some Sarah J. Maas. I've read the first few of her Throne of Glass series, and they're great! Sort of a mix between The Hunger Games and something else... maybe a bit of the Lunar Chronicles? I enjoyed John Green quite a bit. I personally liked Looking For Alaska, The Fault in our Stars, and Let It Snow was pretty good. I thought that An Abundance of Katherines was pretty good, but not as good as some of his others. I haven't read Paper Towns yet. I would recommend Shatter Me (Tahereh Mafi), anything by Marissa Meyer, Starcrossed (Josephine Angelini), and, on a more children's note, Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling), and Percy Jackson (Rick Riordan).

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm going to the bookstore today. Any suggestions on what to get? I have a bunch of ideas, but I can always get more. I've read most John Green, some Sarah J. Maas, all Marissa Meyer, Rick Riordan and J.K. Rowling (well, you know, her HP series. Not the adult ones). I've read Tahereh Mafi and Josephine Angelini as well. No Cassandra Clare, but she's on my list.

message 14: by Celia (new)

Ariadne wrote: "Okay, I'm going to the bookstore today. Any suggestions on what to get? I have a bunch of ideas, but I can always get more. I've read most John Green, some Sarah J. Maas, all Marissa Meyer, Rick Ri..."

Have you read anything by Rainbow Rowell?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started Fangirl, but I don't own it, so I have to read it from the library... where it is currently out. I started it at the bookstore but didn't buy it. The others I'm thinking about.... I only got 2 books yesterday and am planing to go again sometime soon. I got Paper Towns (John Green) and Summerlost (Ally Condie). I recommend Summerlost to anyone and everyone. It's not quite a teen book, more for tweens, but it's still amazing.

message 16: by Celia (new)

Fangirl and Eleanor& Park are amazing and I love them with my whole heart. They're definately in my favourites of all time haha :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

They do sound great! Has anyone by any chance read Splintered? I found it at the bookstore and thought it sounded good.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

NOTE- PLEASE READ:

From March 10-11, at the Tucson Book Festival, there will be several GREAT authors like: Veronica Roth and Victoria Aveyard!!! You heard me right!!! VERONICA ROTH AND VICTORIA AVEYARD!!!!!! Whaaaaaa??? Here's the link to the website where you can find more info: http://tucsonfestivalofbooks.org/

I don't live in AZ anymore, but some relatives still do, and I might be able to get some signed books!!!!! YAY!!!!

message 19: by sally (new)

sally (carswellthornegf) Aww, YAY!!!