Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Kelly 2nd timer- COMPLETED 2018!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Sep 18, 2018 09:32PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I am one book from finishing the 2017 ATY challenge... so hope I won't pick books that I want to read before 2018! LOL!! But starting the planning.. with some options and reserve the right to CHANGE MY MIND! :)

2018 Plans > The 52 topics for the 2018 Reading Challenge

January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018

Completed 52/52

The 2018 List

✔1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title All the Ugly and Wonderful Things 2 .5/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read listUntil I Say Goodbye: A Book about Living 4/5 ★★★★☆

✔3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards (link) Little Fires Everywhere 5/5★★★★★
✔4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
Dinner at the Center of the Earth 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔5. A book about or inspired by real events
Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔6. A book originally written in a language other than English Us Against You 4.5/5 ★★★★☆

✔7. A gothic novel
Rebecca 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔ 8. An "own voices" book*
Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
Stay with Me 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔11. A literary fiction
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔12. A book set in Africa or South America
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight4/5 ★★★★☆
✔13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
Little & Lion 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
City on Fire 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Six Stories 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔16. A narrative nonfiction
In Cold Blood ]3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Scrappy Little Nobody 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔18. A book with a location in the title A Gentleman in Moscow 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author
Under the Harrow 2.5/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
The One-in-a-Million Boy 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔21. A book written in first person perspective
Speak 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Heart's Invisible Furies 5/5 ★★★★★
✔23. A medical or legal thriller
Identical 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔24. A book with a map
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔26. A book with a text only cover
Exit West 2.5/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania 2/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
Give a Girl a Knife 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔30. A short book
Between the World and Me 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
The House in France: A Memoir 3/5 ★★★☆☆
32. An alternate history book
The Man in the High Castle- - skipped this one for now and doubled up on another because the hold time took way too long on hold at the library so used this as my one challenge to skip this year.
✔33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
You're Never Weird on the Internet 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link) Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman’s Awakening 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔35. A book featuring a murderLost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
The Ensemble 4/5 ★★★★☆

✔37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2)
We Need to Talk About Kevin 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔38. A science book or a science fiction book
Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease 3.5/5 ★★★☆☆
✔39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title Mother, Can You Not? 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link)
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales 3.5/5 ★★★☆☆
✔41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials Option B 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater Swimming at Night 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔44. A ghost story
The Widow's House 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Count of Monte Cristo 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster 2.5/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own A Thousand Miles to Freedom: My Escape from North Korea 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Euphoria2/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the 4/5 ★★★★☆Month list
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body 2/5 ★★☆☆☆
✔50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Crossing to Safety 3/5 ★★★☆☆
✔51. An award-winning short story or short story collectionInterpreter of Maladies 4/5 ★★★★☆
✔52. A book published in 2018
The Great Alone 4/5 ★★★★☆

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Jan 01, 2018 03:22PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments For the visual approach.... here are the covers of the books!
1. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood 2- Until I Say Goodbye A Book about Living by Susan Spencer-Wendel 3 - Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng 4- Dinner at the Center of the Earth by Nathan Englander 5- Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate Etched in Sand A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island by Regina Calcaterra 6- The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Blindness by José Saramago The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George 7- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 10- Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson 8- Becoming Nicole The Transformation of an American Family by Amy Ellis Nutt 9- Born with Teeth by Kate Mulgrew Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni Look Me in the Eye My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison 10- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini 11- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini 12- Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller 13- Extreme Measures by Michael Palmer 14- City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg 15- Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski 16- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote or The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman or Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer 17- You Can't Touch My Hair And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick I Can't Make This Up Life Lessons by Kevin Hart 18- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles 19- The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney 20- The One-in-a-Million Boy by Monica Wood 21- Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson 22- The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
23- Coma by Robin Cook Identical by Scott Turow The Good Father by Noah Hawley 26- Exit West by Mohsin Hamid 25- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy, #1) by Sally Green 27- Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan How Dare the Sun Rise Memoirs of a War Child by Sandra Uwiringiyimana 28- Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson 29- Give a Girl a Knife by Amy Thielen 30- The Gifts of Imperfection Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown Rulers and Their Times by Benchmark Books 9] 31- The House in France A Memoir by Gully Wells 32- The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick 33- The Internet of Us Knowing More and Understanding Less in the Age of Big Data by Michael P. Lynch You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day 34- Daring to Drive A Saudi Woman’s Awakening by Manal Al-Sharif 35- Lost Girls An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker 36- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward 37- We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 38- Storm in a Teacup The Physics of Everyday Life by Helen Czerski Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease by Allan H. Ropper 39- Mother, Can You Not? by Kate Friedman-Siegel 40- The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks 41- The Opposite of Everyone by Joshilyn Jackson Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg 43- You Are a Badass How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero 44- Help for the Haunted by John Searles The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters 46- Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer 47- A Thousand Miles to Freedom My Escape from North Korea by Eunsun Kim 48- Euphoria by Lily King 49- Reading with Patrick A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship by Michelle Kuo Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay He Said/She Said by Erin Kelly 51- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri 50 - Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

message 3: by Kelly (last edited Feb 20, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #1

ATY Books read- 12/52
Side Reads- 9
Total Books Read - 20
Total Non fiction -5
Books over 500 pages - 2

Well feel like the I have been having a great start to the challenge! I planned to up date every 10 books or so books. I am not going to list all of my side reads cause I don't know that anyone is interested and then I can save time if you want to see my side reads feel free to follow my goodreads or my instagram audiogirl.booking.it

1) All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
Rating: ✪✪ 2/5
This was the first book that I read at it really wasn't for me. I just couldn't get on board with the love interest of the main character. This book just made me sad. Sad for children who grow up unloved, sad for girls that have to look for love in all the wrong places. The writing was good I might be interested in trying the author again it was strictly the content of this novel that didn't work for me.

5) Etched in Sand: A True Story of Five Siblings Who Survived an Unspeakable Childhood on Long Island
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
What a heartbreaking and inspiring book!!! Really shows the resilience of the human spirit as well as the flaws in our system of protections for vulnerable children in this country! So sad, I know some wonderful foster parents so know system does have some really good people in it but far from perfect!! Stories like these really make be thankful for the wonderful parents that I was lucky enough to get, many innocent children are not so lucky!!

8) Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Interesting story of one families journey thru a family obstacle that they didn't plan to face. I really enjoyed seeing how the family members came together and support each other even as they were struggling to come to terms with things on their own personal journey.

10) Stay with Me
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
This was a great first debut book effort by author Ayobami Adebayo. I thought it was a heart wrenching and well told story about women and man who wanted more than anything to be together and have a family. Story is set in Nigeria interesting look at a different cultural experience of family and extended family!

I listened to this one in Audio the audio was great.... although at times the foreign names were pretty tricky to keep straight! Well deserved 4 star book!

11) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar WaoBrie and wondrous life
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be humorous as well as melancholy character study of a Dominican Republic family who were now living in NYC! It was at times laugh out loud funny and at times heart breaking! The end was hard to swallow but I enjoyed the journey of learning about the family.

There is quite a bit of non-translated Spanish in his book and being a native of Arizona I was able to follow along. But I can see how that could be frustrating to people less familiar with the language. The audiobook was very well done narrator gets a thumbs up from me!!

14) City on Fire
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Wow! What a well written story of interesting character at a time in history that was fraught with angst and confusion!! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Especially identified with Reagan the mother who caught between trying to do what's right and trying to be herself and make everyone happy!!

18) A Gentleman in Moscow
Rating ✪✪✪ 3/5
I really wanted to like this book. It came so highly recommend from several people. (Plus I had to wait in the library queue for months and months! ) I was very excited to listen to this one in audio and initially I liked the prose and the characters seemed interesting but the story just didn't grab me. About 1/2 way thru there was some plot developments that I hoped would make it more interesting but really just wasn't the right book at the right time for me.

I feel like I missing out on a good book that others love. Maybe I am not smart enough or cultured enough to like a book about historical Russian Aristocrats! (LOL) It could be just bad timing cause I do think it was a good book. The writing was solid the characters were interesting but something about the story just fell flat for me. But don't let my lukewarm review dissuade you if you want to read this good go for it and I hope you like it even more than I did!

21) Speak
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Quick YA read has all the feels! Not really a lot of hidden plot that I didn't see coming but it was nicely told story. Would give it a 3.5 if Goodreads let me but feeling generous so rounded it up to 4. This is definitely a book that makes you take a trip down memory lane to those awkward times in HS when fitting in meant so much and yet seemed so elusive to attain!

27) Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness
Rating ✪✪✪ 3/5
This book had a very fascinating medical journey that I would cause anyone fear beyond belief!! The writing was clear but at times the story dragged. Sure in real life the progress felt like it was painstakingly slow so maybe the length of book was unavoidable, but for me kept the book at just a 3 star.

35) Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
Rating ✪✪✪ 3/5
I found this story so sad. Women of predictably difficult beginnings turning to prostitution as a way to support themselves. The stories were kind of hard to keep straight the Girls story were very similar. I wish there had been more information about the investigation of the murders. Very sad tale with not much closure.

40) The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
I had a real hard time picking a rating for this one. The stories were fascinating. The writing was very scholarly and at times quite wordy! I thought it was a very interesting book hard to give it 4 stars cause it was quite dull at times. But due to the serious nature and complexity of the subject guess that goes with the territory. If you are interesting in the mind and psychological aspects of people it's really interesting stuff!

45) The Count of Monte Cristo
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Well this book was definitely intimidating for its size and its epic scale classic novel. But surprisingly it was pretty accessible and didn't feel as old as the actual age of the book. The drama of love and loss and revenge and greed are all timeless topics!! It took me a month to push my way thru this book with other books along the way. But pleased to have read it and equally pleased to be done with it!

message 4: by Kelly (last edited May 22, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #2

Reading life has been going well.. had a bit of a non-fiction spurt this last month or so... I really enjoyed reading and learning about different cultures and different peoples experiences. But sure the next update will have a lot more fiction cause I like variety!

ATY Books read- 21/52
Side Reads- 9
Non- Fiction - 12
Books over 500 pages - 2
Total Books: 30

2 - Until I Say Goodbye: A Book about Living
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

Susan Spencer -Wendel does a great job telling her story and an even better job living her story. She grew so much as a person in the last phase of her life at least the way she described her insight I found it very impressive. I really appreciated her insights into adjusting expectations when the reality falls so short of meeting them... I loved her philosophy of choosing joy, letting go of the small stuff as much as possible. These are definitely words to live by. I am thrilled for her kids that she was able to leave them with tangible memories of her final chapter of life and that she was able to leave them an every lasting book of memories and love for them. Sorry she had to die so young but glad she took the opportunity to learn and share her experiences!!

9 - Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
Rating: ✪✪✪ 3/5

There were several parts especially in the beginning of the book that were at times hilarious and at times horrific!!! I thought this book would be an insight into life with autism but as in life the story was quite a bit more complicated. I found it Interesting! Although I would like to explore more in depth into autism.

14 - Scrappy Little Nobody
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

I am total sucker for memoirs by funny people! I am not really a Hollywood obsessed person I don't follow celebs on Twitter (heck I don't have Twitter) I don't read the Hollywood gossip mags (Unless I am in have a particularly slow cashier then all bets are off). But I really do enjoy an audiobook narrated by a familiar voice with some funny stories and I am sold! Anna did a great job... she told funny stories, she never took herself too seriously and it wasn't too long just the right amount of funny and self disclosure!

16 - In Cold Blood

This book started out so strong and I really thought I would sail thru it but then it really slowed down and I lost my motivation. I finished it but only in dribbles at a time. For me it's never a good sign for a book to take a full two weeks unless it's really long. It felt like I had been reading it a month. It's not a terrible read, sad story for sure didn't feel as satisfied with the closure of the ending as I would hope. But I was glad to be done with it. Heard that this was ground breaking book for its time this type of non fiction narrative wasn't really a thing. Its so common now and a genre that I really enjoy so for that reason it was a good book to read.

34 -Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman’s AwakeningDaring
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

Seriously, what an eye opening book. I commend Manal Al-Sharif for her honest and brave discussion of living in Saudi Arabia as a Woman, and her efforts to make changes! Makes me thankful for the freedoms that I take for granted. But also gave insight into other aspects of Saudi culture that I would never have known like college is free actually she was paid to go to college. And there are more women graduates in SA than men!! Fascinating book of this woman's journey to find her way in a culture that wanted to keep her pegged down. She wasn't going to let that happen!! I highly recommend it!

37 - We Need to Talk About Kevin
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

Wow, what a difficult book!! What a timely book!! Although it was very hard to identify with the characters I had sympathies for the mother thru the story. Her lack of bonding with her son was something a bit foreign to me but I can empathize with the difficulties of raising a son that is just so hard to connect with. (That would be my worst nightmare as a mom!!) I could relate to the challenges, the up and downs of real struggles in a family rather than sugar coated version often portrayed. At times all of the character are portrayed as unlikable I think this is by design. This is definitely a gritty book that is not for the sensitive reader. It is definitely a difficult book but I am glad I read it.

41 - Option B
Rating: ✪✪✪ 3.5/5

Insightful book about dealing with grief choosing to keep putting one foot in front of the other. When Option A is no longer an option B is all you have. Book that seems like it had a lot of useful nuggets of info might even be one I should reread in the future.

49 - Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
Rating ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

What an honest, soul bearing, and insightful book! I applause Roxane for facing your demons and talking openly about a very taboo subject in our culture! I could relate to a lot of what she has experienced. Good read and nice job with the audiobook as well!!

50 - Crossing to Safety

I would really rather give this book a 3.5 star rating. It was pretty good but I heard such great things... so I was expecting it to be better. And it is not plot driven novel so I kept waiting something to happen but not much did. It was an interesting character study of these couples but I was hoping for a little more. Definitely a novel that makes you think about your own relationships of friendship and think about their quality and depth. Not sure I have ever had a relationship quite like the one described in this book!

message 5: by Kelly (last edited May 28, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #3
ATY Books read- 35/52
Non- Fiction - 16
Books over 500 pages - 3
Side Reads- 15
Total Books Read - 50

Enjoying the books I have been reading lately!! I am very stingy with my 5 star ratings and happy to report hit my first two 5 star books of the year in this batch!!! All the feels, Good writing, Interesting stories and characters... these books had it all!!

3) Little Fires Everywhere - ✪✪✪✪✪ 5/5
Woooo hoooo!! This was my first 5⭐️ book this year!!!! (I know I am kind of stingy with my 5star rating but really have to love it to give up that elusive extra star!!!) I was leery of this book cause I was totally in the minority of Celeste Ng's first book and wasn't overly impressed. But this book was a whole other level! I loved the complex characters, and the interwoven storylines that kept me totally enthralled! I thought it had the perfect amount of backstory without bouncing around too much. That really kept the story moving forward! It had a satisfying end too!! And I loved the narrator Jennifer Lim don't think I have ever heard her before!!! She had a fantastic range of voices and great delivery!!!

12) Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Lots of interesting memories of an African childhood, from the bitter despair of loss to the joy of simple things, with a side of alcoholism and mental instability. Learned quite a bit about the volatility of the countries at the time! Hard to imagine growing up there or trying to raise a family!!! Wow!!

22) The Heart's Invisible Furies ✪✪✪✪✪ 5/5
I really enjoyed this book...I LOVED IT!!! Just the 2nd 5 star book of the year!!! I save my 5 stars for only the AMAZING books! This one fits the bill!! It took me on a long journey getting to know some fascinating and at time flawed characters that grow and learn about love, self-discovery, relationships and being comfortable in your own skin! Its a long book so it is sweeping across time following these characters journey thru life. I feel in love with the Cyril because of his humor and his kind gentle soul. I found myself laughing with him and rooting for him all thru the book! If you love books with all the feels and personal growth a lifespan novel can bring? READ THIS BOOK you won't regret it!!

23) Identical ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
Enjoyed this legal thriller. Not completely unpredictable but sometimes it is satisfying to be able to guess what is happening and have it be right! That being said there were a few surprises along the way. It was a definitely worth my time. I went into the book before I realized it was a series and it read like a stand-alone book but might be curious to see what other books in the serious would be like. I particularly enjoyed the retired cop and the prosecutor. They had a cute relationship and their backstory seemed interesting and my guess is those would be some of the people that would continue in the series.

25) Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
I am not usually one for magical realism but this YA book kept me listening. I found the concept of stealing from a persons inner-self interesting one to explore and without getting into spoilers I like where they took the story. AS I was listening I kept thinking my daughter will like this book when she is a little older. The book does have some more mature relationships to think about before recommending this book to very you young readers.

26) Exit West ✪✪ 2.5 /5
This book is reIlly a 2.5 star book but i round it up in Goodreads to 3....Well the book started out pretty good.. and I knew it was short... but really just kind of dragged on. I never felt invested in the story. I did this one in Audio (AS IS MY NORM!) and it was read by the author and for all books that aren't memoirs it is usually a mistake! I am not sure if a different narrator would have made a difference but I wonder if it would have helped me to engage into the story more? I am not a huge fan on the sci fi genre but I had heard great things about this book. I was expecting it to be better. This one didn't hit the mark for me.

31) The House in France: A Memoir ✪✪ 2.5 /5
This memoir wasn't poorly written it just didn't really hold my attention. It was just not what I was expecting it to be. Grant it I went into the book blind but based on the title I had a preconceived idea of what the book was going to be about and I was completely off base.

33) You're Never Weird on the Internet ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

Picked this book up quite at random never heard of the author but found her story interesting from her unique background and uncommon skills to her unlikely addictions and success in strange places!!! (Youtube of all places!!) It was a fun trip down memory lane thinking about how the internet has evolved over time. And learned a few things I didn't expect along the way -- about the inside of Comicon and --the willpower and vision of George Lucas when he ran out of money while making Star Wars! Found the book charming and interesting!!

Super random... but anyone that read this book also read Educated by Tara Westover? I found some interesting parallels in their background stories. Totally different in tone but really a lot the same! Just wondering anyone else picked up on that if they read both of those books.

43) Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease ✪✪✪✪ 4/5
The Brain is so fascinating!! Such as it is a field that has many more questions to be answered!! The author did a great job creating a narrative to many interesting cases! Glad I read it!!

47) A thousand mile journey ✪✪✪ 3/5
The story was interesting but the writing of this memoir was mediocre. But very sad that people are forced to flea a country with such close-minded ruling government who blindly ignores the needs of its people!!

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #4

ATY Books read- 50/52
Side Reads- 48
Total Books Read - 98
Total Non fiction - 22
Books over 500 pages - 4

I AM ALMOST DONE!!! I am looking forward to finishing the challenge early. I have listed my GR micro reviews here for those who are interested. Happy reading all!

4) Dinner at the Center of the Earth ✪✪✪ 3/5

This is a round up from a 2.5 ⭐. It's really not in my wheel house a little bit too much like "mission impossible" turned into a book with the chapters stirred up like a tossed salad. I think for people a little more into the adventure spy genre this book might be quite well liked but for me... I would rather have to drama and all the feels that my regular choices will bring.

6) Us Against You ✪✪✪✪ 4.5/5

This much anticipated sequel to Beartown was a great story it did not disappoint! It's so easy to fall in love with his sentences. The way he can in a few words say something so profound! Simple and brilliant in one sentence is no easy task! Kudos to his interpreter as well!!!

This book has so many themes without spoilers I will just list the ones that jumped out to me ...Friendship, Passion, Pride, Need to belong, Power, Politics, Choices, Ambition, Gender, Acceptance, Identity

This series of books is so worth the time to read!!!! Highly recommend them!

13) Little & Lion ✪✪✪ 3/5

This YA book was very eye opening to me as a mother to a preteenager (who happens to be a pretty big reader as well). Its not like i bury my head in the sand about teenage sexuality and casual attitude toward drugs and alcohol. But this book isn't even really about those topics it is about identity and family relationships, trust, and coping with stresses of mental illness. But the casual attitude toward drugs and sex makes me pause knowing that my daughter is on the cusp of that world and even This YA book was very eye opening to me as a mother to a preteenager (who happens to be a pretty big reader as well). Its not like i bury my head in the sand about teenage sexuality and casual attitude toward drugs and alcohol. But this book isn't even really about those topics it is about identity and family relationships, trust, and coping with stresses of mental illness. But the casual attitude toward drugs and sex makes me pause knowing that my daughter is on the cusp of that world and even closer to reading that kind of material in the YA books she chooses. Its not that I want to shelter her from the world but eye opening to realize that all of that is coming at her faster than I want. #mamasnotready :)

19 Under the Harrow ✪✪ 2/5
Picked this book up on a whim cause it was nominated for an award didn't really get to into it. Mediocre at best!!

20) The One-in-a-Million Boy ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

(Not sure how I missed writing my micro review after reading this book?? I like to do it right away because I go thru so many audiobooks its hard to remember them all!! LOL) Anyways this book was great! I really enjoyed the characters. I could relate to the father and empathized so much with his grief. And the spitfire elderly woman was a hoot! I loved seeing the relationships develop and evolve in this novel. I would have loved for the book to be a little longer.. didn't want to let go of the those characters. I would have loved to explore a little more from the mom's perspective. But all and all it was a charming book! I loved it! The end was especially endearing to me. If you love the feels this book is for you!

24) Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk✪✪✪✪ 4/5

I love Lilian Boxfish!! I want to be her grand daughter, her grand niece, her neighbor or her friend!! She is such a well developed rich character I throughly enjoyed going on the journey of this book with her!! I will admit the narration took some time to get used to but she grew on me too!!! I listened to an interview of with the author and the narrator they both seemed to really put so much heart and soul in the project it shows!!!

If you enjoy books with characters that are witty, insightful, charming and delightful!! You will love this book!! I picked it up on a whim and so happy I did!!!

29) Give a Girl a Knife ✪✪✪ 3.5/5

I picked this book up to just for the challenge wouldn't really have been on my regular tbr. Foodie memoirs are not something that I would normally pick. I am pretty sure its the first Foodie Memoir I have ever read I am not much of a cook or much of a foodie lol I mean I like to eat just nothing too fancy. BUT I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it probably a 3.5 star book and kept my attention. Although spoiler alert the last part of book almost made me want to go Vegetarian... lol a little too graphic with the meat food prep. But I really did enjoy Amy's stories she added a great voice to her tales and a lot of charm.

30.) Between the World and Me ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

This book read like Poetry and hearing it in Audio was like Performance ART!! It was really fascinating for me as a white middle class woman to set outside my bubble for a minute and see the world from a completely different mindset! If only people in the world would take time to open their minds to see the world scope is and experience is not one size fits all. I do think that we are more the same than we are different. We are all people we all need love and joy, respect and safety. It is eye opening to see that some of us are not getting those basic needs they aren't feeling safe or loved or respected. That makes me sad but hopeful that if we continue to share things can improve if people continue to try to connect the world will be a better place. Thinking of the kids that I am raising thinking of future I really hope this is the case!!

36) The Ensemble ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

I Really enjoyed this book! It gave an insiders view into fictional lives of musicians. Two of my kids are quite musical and it's something i am interested in personally. I can't tell you how much I admire people that can make music!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE. So this book was right up my alley. I enjoyed the friendships described and the story as it was told. Well I liked it so much kind of feel like it could have been longer. The ending felt rushed but I really did enjoy the parts of the story that I got! ;)

39) Mother, Can You Not? ✪✪✪✪ 4/5

This book helped me survive a root canal I will be eternally grateful! It was pretty enjoyable look at the author's overly-close relationship with her mother! Audio was well done by the author!! Very funny stuff!

42)Swimming at Night ✪✪✪ 3/5

Just your basic mystery nothing too fancy. The part that resonated with me was about the complexity of sister's relationship. And it caused me to reach out to my sister.

43) You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life✪✪✪✪ 4/5

This is one of those books that you could probably get a lot out by re reading several times. I am not much of a re-reader generally but think I may come back to it again to see what else I can glean from it. What resonated with me most this reading was choosing to be positive and focusing on your passion rather than letting the negativity of current circumstances getting you down. At times the book went a little too far almost to the point of magical feeling manifesting your reality I really can’t go that far myself! But I will take the good and leave the too good to be true for others. Lol but I did think it was time well spent!

44) The Widow's House ✪✪ 2.5/5

This was just ok. I am not a huge fan of the genre but got thru it ok.

48) Euphoria ✪✪ 2/5

Just not interesting enough to hold my attention! Not terrible writing or story but not for me either.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #5

ATY Books read- 0/52
Side Reads-
Total Books Read -

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Reserved Review #6

ATY Books read- 0/52
Side Reads-
Total Books Read -

message 9: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I've heard really good things about All the Ugly and Wonderful Things and Everything, Everything. I am hoping to fit them into my plan for next year too.

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Yea I heard it mentioned a lot so figured I would fit it in for the challenge!! ;)

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments Fun list. :) The Good Father sounds really interesting. Adding it to my TBR list.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Angie wrote: "Fun list. :) The Good Father sounds really interesting. Adding it to my TBR list."

Yea I had a some more to add but shaping up to be a list of books I am looking forward to reading. Last year I didn't join until Jan so it will be hard not to touch those books till 2018! LOL
I read and enjoyed Before the Fall by the same author as The Good Father so I have high hopes!

message 13: by Jillian (last edited Oct 14, 2017 04:43PM) (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments I have a feeling I will end up reading some of my 2018 planned books early but that is okay since I like looking for books to add to my list.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Jillian wrote: "I have a feeling I will end up reading some of my 2018 planned books early but that is okay since I like looking for books to add to my list."

Yea it is a challenge for fun... :) not like anyone is gonna police when you started and finished the book!

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Well finished a lot of my choices for now... still really stuck with the map one... Thinking maybe doing the nonfiction version of a guide book. But still hunting around and looking on other peoples list for what you are reading for it! :)

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments Kelly wrote: "Well finished a lot of my choices for now... still really stuck with the map one... Thinking maybe doing the nonfiction version of a guide book. But still hunting around and looking on other people..."

I notice that you have Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania on your list for #28. It has a map. I think all of Larson's books do, so that might be an option.

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Thanks for the tip!! Maybe I will swap that one around. I do 99% audiobooks so really having a map is a moot point lol!!! Or maybe I should just do a wild card!

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm the same way, Kelly. Most of my reading is audiobooks, so if a book has a map in it, I might not even know. For that reason, I'm reading a book about maps (I have like 4 on my tbr; I think maps are so interesting). Id you like historical fiction, The Killer Angels about the Battle of Gettysburg has maps on the battlefield.

message 19: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments I do have an idea for seeing if books have a map if you listen to the audiobook. You can go on amazon and use the feature look inside of the print version. I just tried it with a few books that I knew had maps and the maps showed up in the preview. I don’t know if it will work for all books but should work for some.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Jillian wrote: "I do have an idea for seeing if books have a map if you listen to the audiobook. You can go on amazon and use the feature look inside of the print version. I just tried it with a few books that I k..."

thanks for the tip!

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments Love your list Kelly. There are a lot of ones that I want to read, such as Rebecca, The Man in the High Castle, and Stay with me. I read In Cold Blood earlier this year and really liked it.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Rebecca is fantastic! I read it this year and found it totally captivating.

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I read Rebecca a really long time ago and remember liking it! I also really really liked We Have Always Lived in the Castle. That is a tough call on that topic! You should read BOTH!! I'm going to read The Princess Bride for the Map prompt. I've read the entire Game of Thrones series (which have maps a plenty), so I couldn't use those. Hopefully I'll like the PB book as much as I liked the movie!

message 24: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Ooh, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is awesome!! So creepy and atmospheric.

I read The Princess Bride a while back, and I enjoyed it but not as much as the movie. I think having grown up watching the movie, and because I’ve seen it SO many times the extra parts were just too jarring for me.

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I felt the same way about The Princess Bride when I read it as a teenager. The movie is perfection to me. But I want to reread the book to see if I view it any differently now.

Both Rebecca & We Have Always Lived in the Castle are awesome. I think Rebecca is more quintessentially Gothic though.

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Veronica wrote: "Love your list Kelly. There are a lot of ones that I want to read, such as Rebecca, The Man in the High Castle, and Stay with me. I read In Cold Blood earlier this year and really liked it."

Thanks I am looking forward to the choices hopefully I will like them! Makes me excited for JAN! :)

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Tammy wrote: "I read Rebecca a really long time ago and remember liking it! I also really really liked We Have Always Lived in the Castle. That is a tough call on that topic! You should read BOTH!! I'm going to ..."

Oh thanks for recommendation on the Princess Bride it has been on my TBR list for a while! :)

Good for you reading the GoT books.. that is some commitment! I am an audio girl.. I tried listening to the books because I didn't have HBO at the time and really wanted in on the show. The books were hard to get thru in audio the names sound so similar and there are so many characters! Not to mention overlapping stories from different POV I only made it thru 1st book and 1/2 of the second book before I gave up. Luckily, I got access to the shows and enjoyed it that way instead. Such a good show!

message 28: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Kelly wrote: "Tammy wrote: "I read Rebecca a really long time ago and remember liking it! I also really really liked We Have Always Lived in the Castle. That is a tough call on that topic! You should read BOTH!!..."

I can't even imagine trying to listen to the GoT books on audio. I don't even want to think about how long it would take to listen to them, much less to keep track of all the flipping characters. Each book took me about 7-8 days and I read them back to back to back on my kindle. It was 5 weeks of solid reading and I'm so mad that the 6th hasn't come out because I'll never remember it all! I'm going to be totally lost! I love the show, too!

I just started audio books within the last month. I probably listen to one for every three that I read. It is a nice efficient way to read because you can "read" while you drive. I have found, though, that I can't do anything else (other than maybe solitaire) while listening. I just start spacing out if I'm cooking and miss half the storyline!

message 29: by Kelly (last edited Oct 25, 2017 11:11AM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Thanks for the encouragement on the Gothic titles. I have to admit not really sure what to expect ... not really think they will be my type of book. But I going to give it the old college try, and see if I like it more than I think I will. I know some people have raved about both books.

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Tammy wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Tammy wrote: "I read Rebecca a really long time ago and remember liking it! I also really really liked We Have Always Lived in the Castle. That is a tough call on that topic! You shou..."

Wow that is a lot of GAME OF THRONES!! Love it!

Ya know depends on the book for me certain books I find myself rewinding over and over and having no recollection of what I listened to at all after spacing out. But other books are so riveting I am totally engrossed and can clean my house at the same time... so for me totally depends on the book or guess my mood if I am tired can drift off.

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Well the library fairies gave me Before We Were Yours this week a lot sooner than I thought I would get it. So I am going to have to read this one now and pick one of my other choices for that Prompt. I am enjoying the book now so its all good to me!

message 32: by Kelly (last edited Feb 20, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I added my the review of my first 12 books of the challenge.. in Reserve spot #1 listed above. ↑↑↑

I Feel pretty fortunate to have mostly 4 star books this time around only a few lackluster books! Looking forward to reading more ... hope your challenge is going as well!

message 33: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Wow! You're on a roll...

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was such a HARD book to read, it made me feel all kinds of ways, but because of that I did the opposite of you, I gave it a really high rating.

I definitely need to move Etched in Sand up on my TBR, Its been on my kindle forever and I just haven't read it, because I haven't heard much about it and I think because I kind of don't like the cover (lol, that is so superficial.....cant judge a book) Maybe I'll use it for the Earth prompt? I'm not super excited about the one I chose, GR said I already read it, but I don't think I did, but I don't want to re-read it and remember halfway through that I did....no time for that.

Oscar Wao.....how in the heck did you approach this? It was on my list last year but I DNF'd within the first few chapters. All those footnotes!!!!! How did you read all those footnotes?? I was tempted to skip them, but I didn't want to miss anything. I still want to try it, I just was on a time crunch finishing up last year. Audio sounds like a good idea, but Ihave zero attention span for audio.

I'm looking forward to Brain on Fire..... I will probably switch my fire prompt to this one. I'm a nurse, medical mysteries are so fascinating. I also have The Man who Mistook.....on my shelf (forever) but haven't gotten around to it yet. I picked it up years ago when I worked in a group home for people with traumatic brain injuries.

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Tracy wrote: "Wow! You're on a roll...

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was such a HARD book to read, it made me feel all kinds of ways, but because of that I did the opposite of you, I gave it a really high r..."

THANKS TRACY! So far so good with the challenge! How is it going for you??

Yea, All the Ugly ... was a book with lots of emotion that is for sure. I am not one that has to love characters and the choices they make in order to love a book but this one was just too much for me. Maybe cause I just kept thinking about my own 12 year old!!!

Ya, know I am not really sure about Oscar Wao and how the narrator dealt with the footnotes.... I couldn't really tell. The audiobook was really good!! At time it did seem a bit disjointed so I am guessing that the narrator just read them as they got to them... and to be honest some of the stuff about the history of cuba didn't really stick in my brain just kind of went in my ears and fell out the otherside. LOL but I really enjoyed it... maybe try it in audio!

If you love nonfiction medical stuff I am guessing your read the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lack? Another one I liked was Patient HM a little long but really fascinating stuff. Love NON-Fic.

message 35: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Feb 21, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Eh, my challenge in January was going really well and I tripled up on it with an adult version, middle- grade, and picture books challenges.

This month not so much, lol....I feel like I haven't read at all , but I actually did get more done than I thought thanks to the read-a -thon. They were all either side reads or books for PopSugar and Book Riot though. So I'm going to have to catch up for ATY.

I can imagine having a 12 year old would make ATUAWT's especially hard to stomach :-(

I have read Henrietta Lacks. It was so good, I loved it. Patient HM is on my TBR. I've been reading a lot more non fiction lately, Its so interesting :-)

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I added my the review of my next 10 books books of the challenge.. in Reserve spot #2 listed above. ↑↑↑↑↑↑

It was heavy on the non-fic this time so now I am in the mood to bring on the Fiction for my next set of books!

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I added my the review of my last bach of books for the ATY challenge.. in Reserve spot #3 listed above. ↑↑↑↑↑↑

My first 5 star books of the year!! YIPEE!!!

message 38: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:48PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I am very excited I am almost done!! 2 books to go! I posted my review of books read for the challenge in Reserve spot #4 listed ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ above!

Hope to be done with the challenge by early September! Happy reading All!

message 39: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments Yay! Great job Kelly!

message 40: by Kelly (last edited Sep 18, 2018 09:54PM) (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments FINISHED!!!

It was a fun process to get thru the books several books i wouldn't have read without the challenge!! I must admit i am glad to be done so I can read whatever i want from now to the end of the year!!
I had a lot of books i loved from the list and a few that i thought were really disappointing.

TOP 5.....
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Us Against You (Beartown, #2) by Fredrik Backman The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah The Ensemble by Aja Gabel

Bottom 5....
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry Euphoria by Lily King All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

message 41: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 926 comments Congratulations on finishing. I will go back and read your reviews first chance I get.

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments Congrats on finishing! 🎉🎉🎉