Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Jessica's Shoot for the Stars 2018 ATY Plan

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Oct 14, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments The 2018 List

Oh the options

This will be my first full year trying this challenge. I think I jumped in the 2017 in August. I'm looking forward to getting my book count up and trying some things outside of my comfort zone!

*I reserve the right to change my mind and go off list as I'm great at lists but not so great with choices*

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray Doctor Who Time Lord Fairy Tales by Justin Richards What-the-Dickens The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire The War Prayer by Mark Twain The Witch of Little Italy by Suzanne Palmieri How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery by Rhett McLaughlin
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day DupliKate by Cherry Cheva The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter The Interdimensional Dumpster by Ray Connor Chance Fortune and the Outlaws by Shane Berryhill Confessions of a Not It Girl by Melissa Kantor The Anvil of the World (Lord Ermenwyr, #1) by Kage Baker
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Artemis by Andy Weir How to Be a Bawse A Guide to Conquering Life by Lilly Singh Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1) by Mark Siegel The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1) by Ken Follett The World Without Us by Alan Weisman The Night Garden by Polly Horvath
5. A book about or inspired by real events
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd Conversion by Katherine Howe How I Made It to Eighteen A Mostly True Story by Tracy White The Crucible by Arthur Miller Sunnyside by Glen David Gold The Man Who Walked Away by Maud Casey
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky Battle Royale by Koushun Takami Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Ambiguous Adventure by Cheikh Hamidou Kane The Stranger by Albert Camus Labyrinths Selected Stories and Other Writings by Jorge Luis Borges
7. A gothic novel
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Turn of the Screw by Henry James The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter Florence & Giles by John Harding The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1) by Oliver Pötzsch The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
8. An "own voices" book*
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1) by C.B. Lee Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood White Teeth by Zadie Smith The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #1) by Ellis Peters Ruby Heart (The Neve & Egan cases, #2) by Cristelle Comby Bone Soup by Shaun Tennant
10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas The Lost Girls by Heather Young Dancing with the Tiger by Lili Wright IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide
11. A literary fiction
The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin The Vegetarian by Han Kang Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave A Doubter's Almanac by Ethan Canin Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts The Seventh Function of Language A Novel by Laurent Binet If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio The Fifth Avenue Artists Society by Joy Callaway The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood
12. A book set in Africa or South America
Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen Prince One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez The Pearl by John Steinbeck Zorro by Isabel Allende Missing in Machu Picchu by Cecilia Velástegui
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson Pines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake Crouch The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (The Karla Trilogy, #1) by John le Carré The Princess Bride by William Goldman Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
The Last Airbender Prequel - Zuko's Story by Dave Roman Firestarter by Stephen King Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir The Odds of Lightning by Jocelyn Davies The Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1) by Sherry Thomas
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar One Rainy Day in May (The Familiar, #1) by Mark Z. Danielewski S. by J.J. Abrams If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1) by Nick Bantock Building Stories by Chris Ware The Neverending Story by Michael Ende Generation X Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland The Princess Bride by William Goldman Enchanted Islands by Allison Amend
16. A narrative nonfiction
this is one of the categories I'm dreading. I might have found a lot of options but at least 3 of these have been on my list for YEARS!! :(
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman Going Clear Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright The Omnivore's Dilemma A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan Witches The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem by Rosalyn Schanzer In Cold Blood by Truman Capote The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson Finding Winnie The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick Empty Mansions The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune by Bill Dedman The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher Moore Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Samantha Irby
18. A book with a location in the title
P.S. from Paris by Marc Levy The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer The Canterbury Tales A Retelling by Peter Ackroyd They Came to Baghdad by Agatha Christie Murder at Irish Mensa (Mensa Mystery Series, #1) by Clare O'Beara DC Trip by Sara Benincasa
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
*Edgar Award Nominees
The Ex by Alafair Burke Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye Before the Fall by Noah Hawley The Lost Girls by Heather Young Dancing with the Tiger by Lili Wright Things Too Huge to Fix by Saying Sorry by Susan Vaught Three Truths and a Lie by Brent Hartinger IQ (IQ, #1) by Joe Ide
*Written by a Grand Master Author
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1) by Andre Norton Serve it Forth Cooking With Anne McCaffrey by Anne McCaffrey
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
The Shack by William Paul Young Tess The Season of the Witch by James Leo Herlihy Amanda James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (James Potter, #1) by G. Norman Lippert Tommy God Is Not Great How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens Phil Leading With My Chin by Jay Leno Jen The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman Dick
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist Caiti The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2) by Lloyd Alexander OG
21. A book written in first person perspective
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan Looking for Alaska by John Green Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Martian by Andy Weir
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Not sure why but this is basically impossible for me.
Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman
23. A medical or legal thriller
ugh
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton The Neon Lawyer by Victor Methos The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter
24. A book with a map
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1) by Leigh Bardugo A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster The Merchant and the Menace (The Seraphinium, #1) by Daniel McHugh Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques Dinotopia The World Beneath by James Gurney Islandia by Austin Tappan Wright The Atlas of Legendary Lands Fabled Kingdoms, Phantom Islands, Lost Continents and Other Mythical Worlds by Judyth A. McLeod
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka Never Never by Brianna R. Shrum The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco Professor Moriarty The Hound of the D'Urbervilles by Kim Newman Grunts by Mary Gentle The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) by Patricia Highsmith And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller Evil Genius (Genius, #1) by Catherine Jinks

be cont..

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Nov 02, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Part Two

26. A book with a text only cover
The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit The Drunken Spelunker's Guide to Plato by Kathy Giuffre One Plus One by Jojo Moyes Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) by Jessica Park
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1) by Octavia E. Butler Lord of the Flies by William Golding Life of Pi by Yann Martel The Martian by Andy Weir Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) by Jules Verne The Beast of Cretacea by Todd Strasser Undercurrent (Siren, #2) by Tricia Rayburn Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
68 Knots by Michael Robert Evans A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1) by Livia J. Washburn The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1) by Jennie Bentley Heat Storm (Nikki Heat, #9) by Richard Castle The Silver Gun (Art Deco Mystery #1) by L.A. Chandlar The Devouring (Billy Boyle World War II, #12) by James R. Benn Muffin to Fear (Merry Muffin Mystery, #5) by Victoria Hamilton Yuletide Homicide (A Wiccan Wheel Mystery, #3) by Jennifer David Hesse
30. A short book
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) by Arthur Conan Doyle The War Prayer by Mark Twain Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1) by Sarah Gailey
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Ireland
In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern Skippy Dies by Paul Murray
India
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling Cracking India by Bapsi Sidhwa The Last Queen of India by Michelle Moran
32. An alternate history book
Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson 11/22/63 by Stephen King Making History by Stephen Fry Transition by Iain Banks The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon Fatherland by Robert Harris The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick United States of Japan by Peter Tieryas The Separation by Christopher Priest
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky I Am the Elephant in the Room by Jack Bender
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
Seasonal
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha Christie Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4) by Terry Pratchett The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe by Melissa de la Cruz
Short Title
Need by Joelle Charbonneau We by Yevgeny Zamyatin Jinx by Meg Cabot
Circadian
The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando fml by Shaun David Hutchinson After Dark by Haruki Murakami The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Oh Yeah, Audrey! by Tucker Shaw Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Graphic Novel
Batman The Killing Joke by Alan Moore Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris Batgirl, Vol. 1 Batgirl of Burnside by Cameron Stewart The Throne of Fire The Graphic Novel by Orpheus Collar Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise (Avatar The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #1) by Gene Luen Yang
35. A book featuring a murder
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1) by Jennie Bentley A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1) by Livia J. Washburn The American Girl by Kate Horsley Meet Your Baker (A Bakeshop Mystery, #1) by Ellie Alexander British Manor Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #23) by Leslie Meier
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Wishtree by Katherine Applegate The Night Garden by Polly Horvath They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun Outward Blonde by Trish Cook If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio ] The Thousandth Floor (The Thousandth Floor, #1) by Katharine McGee My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1) by Cynthia Hand Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill The House at the Edge of the World by Julia Rochester A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding by Jackie Copleton Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood Burial Rites by Hannah Kent A Trick I Learned from Dead Men by Kitty Aldridge
38. A science book or a science fiction book
Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson Women in Science 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky Girls Who Code Learn to Code and Change the World by Reshma Saujani How We Eat with Our Eyes and Think with Our Stomachs The Hidden Influences That Shape Your Eating Habits by Melanie Mühl What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe The Martian by Andy Weir The Road by Cormac McCarthy 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee Frogkisser! by Garth Nix Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Persepolis The Story of a Childhood (Persepolis, #1) by Marjane Satrapi The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Rick Riordan Lois Lowry Amy Alward
Amanda Ashby Bernard Beckett Debra Driza Elizabeth Eulberg Emily Evans Gregory Galloway Kody Keplinger Morgan Matson James Joyce Rainbow Rowell
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
Life of Pi by Yann Martel Jaws by Peter Benchley Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch 20000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne The Swarm by Frank Schätzing Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1) by Anna Banks River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1) by Sarah Gailey
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson You Can't Touch My Hair And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
44. A ghost story
The Turn of the Screw by Henry James The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1) by Alvin Schwartz The Ghost Writer by John Harwood Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories by Roald Dahl
45. A book that intimidates/scares you
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise (Avatar The Last Airbender, Library Edition, #1) by Gene Luen Yang Death in the Clouds (Hercule Poirot, #12) by Agatha Christie All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders Under the Wide and Starry Sky by Nancy Horan Coming Up for Air by George Orwell The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
The Windfall by Diksha Basu Ambiguous Adventure by Cheikh Hamidou Kane The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling I Am Malala The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai You Can't Touch My Hair And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Envy Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford Seven Deadlies A Cautionary Tale by Gigi Levangie Grazer Lust The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton Two of the Deadliest New Tales of Lust, Greed, and Murder from Outstanding Women of Mystery by Elizabeth George Wrath The Wars of the Roses by Alison Weir Batman The Killing Joke by Alan Moore Carrie by Stephen King It by Stephen King Greed We Were Liars by E. Lockhart A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Serena by Ron Rash The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe Pride The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1) by Seth Grahame-Smith Sloth Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok Gluttony Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4) by Jim Davis
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
TBD
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5) by Ann Brashares Beach Trip by Cathy Holton Love, Lucy by April Lindner The Big Dreams Beach Hotel by Lilly Bartlett P.S. from Paris by Marc Levy
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Starlit Wood New Fairy Tales by Dominik Parisien Nightmare Magazine 37 October 2015. Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue by Wendy N. Wagner Apex Magazine Issue 56 (January 2014) by Sigrid Ellis Apex Magazine Issue 50 by Lynne M. Thomas Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 69 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #69) by Neil Clarke
52. A book published in 2018
Where I Live by Brenda Rufener The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce The Continent (The Continent, #1) by Keira Drake Pretty Dead Girls by Monica Murphy Small Treasons by Mark Powell Wicked Charm by Amber Hart The Spring Girls by Anna Todd

message 3: by Jessica (last edited Dec 27, 2018 10:24PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments 2018 ATY Completed Books

44/52

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
✔🎧3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Artemis by Andy Weir
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun
5. A book about or inspired by real events
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
6. A book originally written in a language other than English
7. A gothic novel
The Broken Girls by Simone St. James
✔🎧8. An "own voices" book*
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli
9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
✔🍹10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang
11. A literary fiction
The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
12. A book set in Africa or South America
Small Country by Gaël Faye
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
S.T.A.G.S. by M.A. Bennett
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #2) by Amanda Lovelace
✔🍹15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
✔🎧16. A narrative nonfiction
Eight Flavors The Untold Story of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman
📖17. A book you expect to make you laugh
18. A book with a location in the title
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
✔🍹19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
21. A book written in first person perspective
Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan
✔🍹22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo
✔🍹1/2 🎧23. A medical or legal thriller
Bonfire by Krysten Ritter
24. A book with a map
Sourdough by Robin Sloan
✔🎧25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth
✔🖇26. A book with a text only cover
What If It Does Work Out? How a Side Hustle Can Change Your Life by Susie Moore
27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
✔🍹28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
Candlestick
Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore
30. A short book
Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris
✔🍹31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians, #1) by Kevin Kwan
✔🍹32. An alternate history book
Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you
Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
The Lies We Told by Camilla Way
Polarizing-Featuring Mental Illness
35. A book featuring a murder
Still Lives by Maria Hummel
✔🍹36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic) by Alice Hoffman
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
✔♻38. A science book or a science fiction book
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
✔🦄40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
📖43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
✔🍹44. A ghost story
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
✔🍹45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
Persuasion by Jane Austen
✔🎧46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
Bird Box by Josh Malerman
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Covers all but gluttony and sloth in pretty fair detail
The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nova Jacobs
✔🍹49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
WILD CARD
The List by Siobhan Vivian
52. A book published in 2018
The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce

📖 Currently Reading
✔ Completed
♻ Reread
🖇 Non-Fiction
🎧 Audio Book
🦄 Reading to/with my Kid
🍹 Booked for bookclub

Favorite Book Overall:
Favorite Category Overall:
Most Challenging Category:
Least Favorite Book Overall:
Least Favorite Category Overall:

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Dec 23, 2018 12:48AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments I am also doing the Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge. I am trying to match up to this challenge as best possible.

45/52

2018 Popsugar Reading Challenge

✔🍹1. A book made into a movie you've already seen
2. True Crime
Small Country by Gaël Faye
3. The next book in a series you started
The Witch Doesn't Burn in this One (Women are Some Kind of Magic, #2) by Amanda Lovelace
4. A book involving a heist
The Lies We Told by Camilla Way
5. Nordic noir
6. A novel based on a real person
Still Life. by Emily Mann
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you
8. A book with a time of day in the title
9. A book about a villain or antihero
Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth
10. A book about death or grief
The Broken Girls by Simone St. James
✔🍹11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
✔🎧12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli
✔🦄13. A book that is also a stage play or musical
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
15. A book about feminism
The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
16. A book about mental health
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
✔🍹🎧17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
Bonfire by Krysten Ritter
18. A book by two authors
Wars in Toyland by Joe Harris
19. A book about or involving a sport
S.T.A.G.S. by M.A. Bennett
20. A book by a local author
WILD CARD
Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky
21. A book with your favorite color in the title
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
✔🍹22. A book with alliteration in the title
February
The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo
23. A book about time travel
Doctor Who Time Lord Fairy Tales by Justin Richards
24. A book with a weather element in the title
25. A book set at sea
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
✔🎧26. A book with an animal in the title
Bird Box by Josh Malerman
✔🎧27. A book set on a different planet
Artemis by Andy Weir
28. A book with song lyrics in the title
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
✔🍹29. A book about or set on Halloween
October
30. A book with characters who are twins
The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nova Jacobs
✔🍹31. A book mentioned in another book
April
✔🍹32. A book from a celebrity book club
June
The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic) by Alice Hoffman
✔🍹33. A childhood classic you've never read
34. A book that's published in 2018
The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks
✔🍹35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
August
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
36. A book set in the decade you were born
The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce
✔🍹37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to
January
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden
✔🍹38. A book with an ugly cover
May
39. A book that involves a bookstore or library
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
✔🍹40. Your favorite prompt from the 2015 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
March
A Book with Magic
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang
✔🖇41. Your favorite prompt from the 2016 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
Self-Improvement Book
What If It Does Work Out? How a Side Hustle Can Change Your Life by Susie Moore
42. Your favorite prompt from the 2017 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
A Book from a non-human perspective
Every Day by David Levithan
43. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
44. A cyberpunk book
A chapter was very cyberpunk. Definitely not the whole book
Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore
45. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
46. A book tied to your ancestry
A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell
47. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
✔♻48. An allegory
A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle
📖49. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
✔🎧50. A microhistory
51. A book about a problem facing society today
The List by Siobhan Vivian
52. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge
Sourdough by Robin Sloan

📖 Currently Reading
✔ Completed
♻ Reread
🖇 Non-Fiction
🎧 Audio Book
🦄 Reading to/with my Kid
🍹 Booked for bookclub

Favorite Book Overall:
Favorite Category Overall:
Most Challenging Category:
Least Favorite Book Overall:
Least Favorite Category Overall:

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Oct 14, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments 🍹1. A book made into a movie you've already seen November
2. True Crime
The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt Columbine by Dave Cullen
3. The next book in a series you started
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman
4. A book involving a heist
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) by Leigh Bardugo The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic, #1) by Patrick Weekes The Last Bookaneer by Matthew Pearl
5. Nordic noir
The Keeper of Lost Causes (Department Q, #1) by Jussi Adler-Olsen Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1) by Henning Mankell The Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg
6. A novel based on a real person
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter Mr. Dickens and His Carol by Samantha Silva Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
8. A book with a time of day in the title
Almost Midnight by Rainbow Rowell The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier The Night Gardener by Terry Fan Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
9. A book about a villain or antihero
Never Never (Never Never, #1) by Colleen Hoover Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar Evil Genius (Genius, #1) by Catherine Jinks Professor Moriarty The Hound of the D'Urbervilles by Kim Newman How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
10. A book about death or grief
A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher Moore Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
✔🍹11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor
Isak Dinesen James Tiptree Jr. Currer Bell Ellis Bell Andre Norton
✔🎧12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist
📖🦄13. A book that is also a stage play or musical
✔14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you
15. A book about feminism
Brave by Rose McGowan Circe by Madeline Miller Red Clocks by Leni Zumas Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
16. A book about mental health
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson Made You Up by Francesca Zappia Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green My Life in France by Julia Child
✔18. A book by two authors
✔19. A book about or involving a sport
20. A book by a local author
✔21. A book with your favorite color in the title
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler Blue is for Nightmares (Blue is for Nightmares, #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot #6) by Agatha Christie
✔🍹22. A book with alliteration in the title
23. A book about time travel
The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde 11/22/63 by Stephen King A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
24. A book with a weather element in the title
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson Night of the Twisters by Ivy Ruckman Let it Snow by John Green The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
✔25. A book set at sea
26. A book with an animal in the title
✔🎧27. A book set on a different planet
✔28. A book with song lyrics in the title
✔🍹29. A book about or set on Halloween
October
✔30. A book with characters who are twins
✔🍹 31. A book mentioned in another book
April
✔🍹32. A book from a celebrity book club
June
The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #1) by Alice Hoffman
🍹33. A childhood classic you've never read
December
✔34. A book that's published in 2018
✔🍹35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami Let's Pretend This Never Happened A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen
✔36. A book set in the decade you were born
✔🍹37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn't get to
✔🍹38. A book with an ugly cover
May
✔39. A book that involves a bookstore or library
✔🍹40. Your favorite prompt from the 2015 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
✔41. Your favorite prompt from the 2016 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
✔42. Your favorite prompt from the 2017 POPSUGAR Reading Challenges
43. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
44. A cyberpunk book
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick Autonomous by Annalee Newitz
45. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
46. A book tied to your ancestry
47. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl The Princess and the Pea by Janet Stevens In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan Ella Minnow Pea A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn Lemon Tart (A Culinary Mystery, #1) by Josi S. Kilpack
✔♻48. An allegory
49. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) by Jessica Park The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody Full Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
50. A microhistory
Eight Flavors The Untold Story of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman A Visitor's Companion to Tudor England by Suzannah Lipscomb Candy A Century of Panic and Pleasure by Samira Kawash The Brilliant History of Color in Art by Victoria Finlay Proof The Science of Booze by Adam Rogers Face Paint The Story of Makeup by Lisa Eldridge
51. A book about a problem facing society today
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Wishtree by Katherine Applegate We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
52. A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1) by Helene Wecker Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too by Jomny Sun The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I love that you have Florence and Giles on your list of gothic novel options. I've wanted to read that for ages!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Katie wrote: "I love that you have Florence and Giles on your list of gothic novel options. I've wanted to read that for ages!"

It sounds really cool. That is a really great category in my opinion so it will be hard to pick one!

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I can't wait to see what else you come up with. I like the multiple selections for each week.

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Oct 10, 2017 10:14PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Tammy wrote: "I can't wait to see what else you come up with. I like the multiple selections for each week."

Thank you Tammy! I was actually writing out my list as we were going through the voting process but entering it is time consuming.

I really need multiple options because if I dont like a book within about 50 to 100 pages I won't read it. Plus i don't want to feel "forced", if that makes sense. That would make the challenge less fun.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments List is all done. Can't wait for next year to get started!!!

message 11: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Haha, I assure you that you don't want to visit the place in The Book of Lost Things :D (I've to think about fantasy/scifi places I'd like to visite, it'll broaden my options).

Nice selection for the sins, I'm struggling with this one, so maybe I'll pick We were liars.

On the short story, I read Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers and gave it 4 stars, it was well written and interesting. I'll probably try Seasons of Glass for the challenge.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3490 comments Ooh, some great options for the Ghost Story prompt, although I found The Legend of Sleepy Hollow surprisingly dry and not at all scary. You can't go wrong with Shirley Jackson though, she's brilliant.

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments I love that you have a Garfield book for gluttony. I might have to steal that one.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Zaz wrote: "Haha, I assure you that you don't want to visit the place in The Book of Lost Things :D (I've to think about fantasy/scifi places I'd like to visite, it'll broaden my options).

Nice selection for ..."

That's funny. I just looked up books set in Ireland and that came up. Apparently that list was incorrect. Lol. I didn't even think of fantastical locations!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Jody wrote: "Ooh, some great options for the Ghost Story prompt, although I found The Legend of Sleepy Hollow surprisingly dry and not at all scary. You can't go wrong with Shirley Jackson though, ..."

Thanks for the heads up!

message 16: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The beginning is probably Ireland (I totally don't remember), but after that it's a fictional world (the books is more or less a creepy fairytale retelling).

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I love your option list. It's so beautiful. I have a ton of comments I want to make, so I may revisit, but I must say that Salt to the Sea is amazing, and I highly recommend it. And I'm totally impressed by your seven deadly sins list as well. Great options.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna | 977 comments Great list, Jessica, and so pretty! I love that you put The Joy of Cooking in the intimidating prompt. It would be, if you had to read it from the beginning to the end! But it's a great book where you can find almost any recipe, and learn how to do anything concerning cooking.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Katie wrote: "I love your option list. It's so beautiful. I have a ton of comments I want to make, so I may revisit, but I must say that Salt to the Sea is amazing, and I highly recommend it. And I'm totally imp..."

Thank you. I've been want to read Salt for a while so I imagine if I don't finish it this year it will definitely make it next year! Can't wait to hear the commenta you are holding. 😄

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Anna wrote: "Great list, Jessica, and so pretty! I love that you put The Joy of Cooking in the intimidating prompt. It would be, if you had to read it from the beginning to the end! But it's a gre..."

I've had it for years and I think it's time to crack the thing. I have found recently that reading cookbooks can be quite enjoyable.

message 21: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7207 comments Mod
I'm working on my plan now, and your lists are helping tremendously!

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I have The World Without Us on my TBR and was trying to find a way to fit it into my challenge. I can't believe I didn't even think of it for the Earth prompt. I currently have The Great Quake: How the Biggest Earthquake in North America Changed Our Understanding of the Planet slotted for that topic, but I'm pretty excited for both books.

I highly recommend The Hate U Give. It's been one of my favorite books this year.

But I was really not a fan of The Vegetarian. I read Human Acts by the same author as well this year, and I liked that one much better. Both had some kind of weird elements to the storytelling, but I found Human Acts more successful, and I also liked that it was about a historical event I knew nothing about.

I love that you put UGH by legal or medical thriller. That's pretty much how I feel too.

message 23: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3490 comments Katie wrote: "I love that you put UGH by legal or medical thriller. That's pretty much how I feel too."

I'm on Team UGH for that prompt too - it's almost as far out of my comfort zone as it gets. I think it could only get worse if it was a Western medical thriller set on a boat.

message 24: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I don’t like legal thrillers, but I’m pretty fond of plague stories, be they fiction or non-fiction, so I’m thankful there are two choices.

message 25: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments Jody wrote: "Katie wrote: "I love that you put UGH by legal or medical thriller. That's pretty much how I feel too."

I'm on Team UGH for that prompt too - it's almost as far out of my comfort zone as it gets. ..."

Haha, Jody, but would you could you with a fox?

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I did find a few disease related nonfiction medical "thrillers," so I'm actually kind of excited for that at least.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments Awesome list. I love how you have a lot of options for each prompt. Just one question - what made you pick Girl in Translation as an option for sloth? I read that very recently, and I'm not sure I see how it fits.

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Rachel wrote: "Awesome list. I love how you have a lot of options for each prompt. Just one question - what made you pick Girl in Translation as an option for sloth? I read that very recently, and ..."

Sloth and gluttony were by far the hardest. I found an article on book riot and they had listed it as sloth. The sloth is affixed to the main character's aunt. Here is the article if you'd like to see https://www.google.com/amp/s/bookriot...

message 29: by Jessica (last edited Mar 24, 2018 01:38PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Katie wrote: "I love your option list. It's so beautiful. I have a ton of comments I want to make, so I may revisit, but I must say that Salt to the Sea is amazing, and I highly recommend it. And I'm totally imp..."

I just started Salt to the Sea and you are so right. It's phenomenal and I can't put it down!

01:38pm *Finished it. I have no words

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments I don't know if you have read Between Shades of Gray but you should. It's Joana's cousins story and it's equally powerful and moving.

Katie wrote: "I love your option list. It's so beautiful. I have a ton of comments I want to make, so I may revisit, but I must say that Salt to the Sea is amazing, and I highly recommend it. And I'm totally imp..."

message 31: by Jessica (last edited May 10, 2018 09:33PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments We are a 3rd through the year and thus the challenge. So I am going to do a little recap of the challenge thus far.

JAN*FEB*MAR*APR

Books Finished- 22
Pages Read- 6054
Hours of Audio Books - 14h 57m
Shortest Book Read - Wars in Toyland 102p
Longest Book Read - The Princess Bride 480p
Favorite - Salt to the Sea
Least Favorite - The Light We Lost
Books Read That Didn't Fit Challenge- 1 & 1 used wild card
Bools Gave Up On- 2

Next year if I intend to do 2 challenges and combine them again (1 book for 2 topics) I need to plan much better. I have tried to compile a plan for the remainder of my topics to see if that works better. Guess we will see.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2218 comments I loved Between Shades of Gray. I'll add Salt to the Sea to my list.

Good recap of the year so far!

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Nice update. I'm curious...which books did you give up on?

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Tammy wrote: "Nice update. I'm curious...which books did you give up on?"

Thank you. I gave up on The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor and The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson.

The Chalk Man I found too similar to IT in the characters and the kid to adult flashbacks. I might go back to it as I own it.

The Devil in White City was because I am not really a fan of nonfiction and I was trying to listen to it on audio book but it was too hard to follow. As it fits a category in both my challenges and the ones it fits I happen to dread I may also return to it in print form.

message 35: by Jessica (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments It's that time again. 2/3's through 2018. Crazy!!!

MAY*JUN*JUL*AUG

Books Finished- 17
Pages Read- 3616
Hours of Audio Books - 14h 52m
Shortest Book Read - Quiche Isn't Sexy 24p
Longest Book Read - The Rules of Magic 369p
Favorite - Between Shades of Gray or The Book of Essie
Least Favorite - Still Life.
Books Read That Didn't Fit Challenge- 5
Books Gave Up On- 3

I've gotta pick it up if I'm going to be able to finish.

The books I gave up on were Railsea, Hollow City and The Possessions

message 36: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7207 comments Mod
The Book of Essie was one of my favorite summer reads toon

message 37: by Jessica (last edited Nov 29, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments It's time for a plan. Or at least an attempt at one. I have 12 books left for ATY and 11 for Popsugar. Gonna try to push through!

Currently working on
Unqualified by Anna Faris
ATY 17. LOL to even it out
ATY 16.Narrative NonFic
PS 50. Microhistory

The Plan
Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser
ATY 43. Whole Sentence
PS 49. Author with my name
The Power by Naomi Alderman
ATY 37. Women's Prize
PS 45. Stranger Reading in Public
The Odds of Lightning by Jocelyn Davies
ATY 14. Element: Fire
PS 24. Weather Element in Title

That's all I have for a plan as of now. If you see anything that fits one category from each challenge... please, let me know!!

ATY
2. 1st on my TBR (doomed! I had horrible taste when I started GR)
4. Elements: Earth
6. Originally Written in another language
9. Body Part in title
20. 5* By a Friend
42. In/On/Underwater
46. Element: Air

PS
3. Next in Series I've Started
5. Nordic Noir
7. Fascinating Country
8. Time of Day in Title
26. Animal in Title
43. Bestseller for 2004
46. Tied to ancestry (Irish)

Wish me luck!!

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Finished Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine!!! Making progress. Adding to my plan and trying to burn some more prompts.

Additions to plan:
Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2) by Ryan Graudin
Trying to download the audiobook from overdrive. It's not behaving. Wish me luck.
ATY: 9. Body part
PS: 3. Next in series

The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1) by Mark Siegel
ATY: 4. Earth

Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1) by Gene Luen Yang
ATY: 46. Air

Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2) by Gene Luen Yang
If Blood doesn't pan out

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments I made it through Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine!!! Making progress. I can do this.

Additions to the plan.

Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2) by Ryan Graudin
Trying to get the audiobook downloaded on overdrive. It is giving me trouble. Wish me luck!
ATY: 9 Body Part
PS: 3. Next in Series

The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1) by Mark Siegel
ATY: 4. Earth

Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1) by Gene Luen Yang
ATY: 46. Air

Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2) by Gene Luen Yang
In case Blood doesn't pan out and the above does..

Rivers of London Vol. 1 Body Work by Ben Aaronovitch
ATY: 42. In/On/Underwater (hopefully?)
PS: 7. Fascinating Country