What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Raven's Point
This topic is about Raven's Point
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Paranormal Fiction about these four high schoolers who end up having to band together to defeat an ancient evil that invades their island home. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francesca (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:40PM) (new)

Francesca Bedford-Norris | 6 comments Hey, guys!

I'm looking for a book I read in high school (2005-2009) with a name similar to 'Raven's Peak' (it's not that name. I've been googling and researching, and the book by that name that pops up isn't the book I'm looking for).

It is a YA paranormal book, set on an island I believe on the east coast of the US. The main characters are 3 high schoolers, 2 girls and 1 guy, and 1 college-aged guy. They each have special 'gifts' or 'powers'.
The college ages guy is a brother one of the high school girls. He was in a coma for several years before miraculously waking up. His sister is in high school and has visions of the past. The other girl's name is Octavia (I think she has the nickname Eight in the book) and she can control or at least influence animals. The last main character's name is Seth. He's on the high school basketball team and can see ghosts. He also has bulimia. He is followed around by the ghost of a child. This little boy was Seth's friend, whom Seth accidentally shot when his friend showed him his dad's gun.
They wind up having to use their 'gifts' to defeat this ancient evil that has infected the island and possessing its inhabitants to make them do awful things. One woman cuts off her own hand with a bone saw, one guy bathes in bleach, someone else poisons his (step?) dad's beer with draino, another guy starts torturing animals. The last time this evil was present was years and years ago - around the witch hunts and trials.
The girl who has visions sees several things (that I can remember): a one-eyed woman who was eventually stoned as a witch. This woman was also visited by a raven (which I believe pecked her eye out to begin with?). Another vision she has is as if she is trapped inside another girl's body from the time of the witch trials. She and three others (1 other girls and 2 boys) meet in a secluded area in the woods around a fire in an attempt to defeat the evil from before.
If I remember correctly, the book opens with vision-girl visiting her brother (who is still in a coma at this point) in the hospital. I seem to remember her remarking on how hard the hospital chair is, and I think she notes that the flowers by his bed are dead/dying. Each chapter of the book is from a different character's POV, and some chapters are short and are from background character's POVs (these chapters demonstrate how the evil is affecting different people and what it's making them do).
Seth and the girl with visions end up getting together, and Octavia ends up getting together with vision-girl's brother.

I hope I have provided enough information to help you all. I'd love to find and reread this book. It was one of my favorites in high school :).

Frankie

message 2: by Chels (new)

Chels (chelssik) | 12 comments I have no ideas if these are right but they're similar. I feel like I've heard of this book but I can't quite figure out what it is.

Born at Midnight
The Summoning
Dark Visions

message 3: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Bedford-Norris | 6 comments Chelsea wrote: "I have no ideas if these are right but they're similar. I feel like I've heard of this book but I can't quite figure out what it is.

Born at Midnight
The Summoning
[b..."

Hi, Chelsea - thanks for the suggestions! None of those is the book I'm looking for, but they do sound interesting :) I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.

message 4: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (ineffablewitch) | 24 comments Is it perhaps Raven's Point? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Bedford-Norris | 6 comments Hailey wrote: "Is it perhaps Raven's Point? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6..."

Yes! Hailey, that's it! Thank you so, so much!!!!