Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Darkest Road (The Fionavar Tapestry, #3)
This topic is about The Darkest Road
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Darkest Road [Jan 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3555 comments Mod
New buddy read starts 20th January.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Here and looking forward to this BR.

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Spot:)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments I will join you guys for this.

Andrew | 653 comments Manju, when would you be available to read it? We started the second book over three weeks early, and I imagine we'll probably start the third book even earlier. Have you already read Summer Tree and Wandering Fire?

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments I have read both Summer Tree and Wandering Fire. No issue. will read it with you guys whenever you start it.

Andrew | 653 comments Great!

message 8: by Andrew (last edited Dec 26, 2017 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrew | 653 comments I think I'm going to start this book in the next week or so. Would like to finish the trilogy prior to starting some new series in January.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Might so do that too Andrew, especially that I expect the worst.

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments I agree 😊

Andrew | 653 comments I'm two chapters in thus far and it's starting a tad slow. Not sure why, considering we've had two full books of world building leading up to...a bunch of internal soliloquies (cue sad trombone sounds). Come on GGK, I know you're better than this!

And Mayim, I read your review for Wandering Fire and agree with every word you wrote. Very eloquently stated, ma'am!

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Andrew wrote: "I'm two chapters in thus far and it's starting a tad slow. Not sure why, considering we've had two full books of world building leading up to...a bunch of internal soliloquies (cue sad trombone sou..."

Mayim is like the master ninja of reviews!!! She says everything I would like to say only much better than I could ever manage:)

message 13: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments I will start it next week.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments oh wow, thank you guys, I really write them only to make sense of what I feel about the book (secretly I am still amazed that anybody has the time and interest to read them)

I wanted to start earlier but I forgot I still have the Sword Breaker on my plate...

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments I am catching up on reads I missed too... RL is a bitch some times😕

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments True Choko but we persevere! (also, in spite of moaning I am super excited about moving to a new country I haven't lived in yet) :D:D:D

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Where are you now?

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments At the end of this month I am moving to Brno in the Czech Republic.

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments I don't remember if I have been to that town, but I have been in the country and I find it and its people wonderful! I think you will have a blast!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I'm sure I will. So far everyone has been super nice and supportive.

Andrew | 653 comments 33% in, and I'm starting to like where this is going! Has a chance to be a memorable conclusion to the series.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I won't get to this one until the 20th at the earliest. Though...I'm really not happy about the prospect of a retread of the (view spoiler) love triangle so those of you who read this early will have to let me know how tedious it gets. I really, really, really loathe love triangles. They can absolutely ruin a book for me. :-(

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Mayim wrote: "At the end of this month I am moving to Brno in the Czech Republic."

What an adventure! Best of luck, Mayim.

Andrew | 653 comments Veronica wrote: "I won't get to this one until the 20th at the earliest. Though...I'm really not happy about the prospect of a retread of the [spoilers removed] love triangle so those of you who read this early wil..."

The love triangle hasn't been bad yet. I'll let you know if it gets nauseating :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Andrew wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I won't get to this one until the 20th at the earliest. Though...I'm really not happy about the prospect of a retread of the [spoilers removed] love triangle so those of you who re..."

Thanks, Andrew. :-)

Andrew | 653 comments 60% in. Not in love with story, but I am at least liking it. Much better that Book 2 in my humble opinion.

And Veronica, the love triangle is still palatable. There was a five page stretch that was cringe-worthy, but otherwise it's still not bad. I don't think it will be a show-stopper for you.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I will probably start this later today. I feel like Kay has lost me this time somewhere in the second volume and so I expect a road to perdition and I am prepared it is going to be very dark indeed.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Having the same misgivings. But I'll start it only on Sunday.

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I wanted to give Inda a try, this is why I rush. I'd prefer to suffer with all of you together. ;)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm aiming to start right on the 20th but my motivation for this one has taken a dip too. We'll all have to help keep each other's heads above water.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments Better go through it together. :D
At least we can tell each other: just a little more, don't give up... This way we may be able to finish it. :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments And chocolate at the finish line for all! :-)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments He does have a gift of beautiful language. But I'm only remotely interested in the convoluted story.

Shaitarn | 1931 comments I may well start this late as I've just started Red Seas Under Red Skies. But I will finish this trilogy, definitely!

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Up to pat two, Ch. 4... is it me, or does it read a bit like a surrealistic dream sequence??? Like he was taking some acid and writing after coming down a bit? It just feels... odd....

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments oh Choko! we are trying to gather up courage over here to start reading this. Do tell us it's great and wonderful and blah blah blah.... 😁

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Yeah, Choko, you're not helping! lol

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Laura wrote: "oh Choko! we are trying to gather up courage over here to start reading this. Do tell us it's great and wonderful and blah blah blah.... 😁"

I am not sure why this is reading so choppy.... But I do want to know what happens at the end...

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Veronica wrote: "Yeah, Choko, you're not helping! lol"

I am going to shut up then:):):) Hahahaha!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I'm up to the same point, Choko. It is OK, the Arthurian stuff is in the background so far (so good), things are moving on and while the whole plot is dense (the summary at the beginning is really helpful), but Kay's gift with the language makes it bearable.

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Mayim wrote: "I'm up to the same point, Choko. It is OK, the Arthurian stuff is in the background so far (so good), things are moving on and while the whole plot is dense (the summary at the beginning is really ..."

I agree.... I am still enjoying it, it just feels like a lucid dream to me ...

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I guess it is because all the weird stuff is kind of condensing as everything goes towards the climax. (on the side note: I've been dealing with security policies all day and this book is a great way to wind down, just so different;))

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Mayim wrote: "I guess it is because all the weird stuff is kind of condensing as everything goes towards the climax. (on the side note: I've been dealing with security policies all day and this book is a great w..."

Totally makes sense! Those policies and procedures are so darn dry!!!

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Still in Ch. 4... I actually loved the short sparring between the great swords:):)

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments I feel so sorry for that boy... He is so lost and Shara is right, so lonely...

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Ch. 5... I am so angry at how Jenifer behaved! I understand all of the free choice with no sway from one side or the other, but darn it, she could have had some ♥! I am so pissed I want to smack her!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments Oh, dear.

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments V, after Ch. 3 it does start being what we expect from GGK... The writing is once again really good, it is just Jenifer who is bugging the heck out of me right now! Particularly the difference in her thinking when it comes to Darian and Lancelot... I thought after her ordeal in book one and her growth in book two, she would be over all the selfish tendencies she showed in the beginning, but it seems like she hasn't changed that much...

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments Ch. 9 was intense!!! I liked it!!!

message 50: by Choko (last edited Jan 19, 2018 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Choko (chokog) | 6727 comments OK, so after Ch. 10, I have not been able to put the book down! It has been exciting and things are happening all the time... I still dislike that the author is trying to sell us Jenifer as a good character, I am just not buying it, but everything else is really good!!!! It is ending with a boom!!!

« previous 1 3