Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Wandering Fire [December 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
New buddy read starts 20th December.

message 2: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Spot. :)

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Spot:)

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I should be starting this one tonight.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments I'll jump in tomorrow.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments tomorrow also. :)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments I'll be starting tonight. :)

message 8: by Shaitarn (last edited Nov 28, 2017 05:59AM) (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Oh man - talk about hitting the ground running! Let me know when you've started - this needs discussing!

message 9: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OK, I am on a plane to Stockholm tomorrow and I'm going to fly through this book. Sorry for being quiet lately, life has been intense.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments Knocked out the first two chapters on my lunch break. I think it's gonna be a good one!

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Got through the first two chapters too during my lunch break. (view spoiler) :-)

message 12: by Veronica (last edited Nov 28, 2017 11:03AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Mayim wrote: "OK, I am on a plane to Stockholm tomorrow and I'm going to fly through this book. Sorry for being quiet lately, life has been intense."

Hope things even out for you soon. And hopefully you don't get a chatty seat mate on the plane.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Start of chapter three: Okay, wait a damn minute. I can't believe Kevin just told Jennifer, (view spoiler) Grrrr!

message 14: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Veronica wrote: "Mayim wrote: "OK, I am on a plane to Stockholm tomorrow and I'm going to fly through this book. Sorry for being quiet lately, life has been intense."

Hope things even out for you soon. And hopeful..."

It's going to be my sister and she has already told me that she plans to sleep. It's going to be a good flight. :D

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments That works. :-)

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Chapter three:(view spoiler)

message 17: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Veronica wrote: "Chapter three:

I'm not an expert, but (view spoiler)

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I haven't read any of the versions, Shaitarn. :-(

message 19: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Veronica wrote: "I haven't read any of the versions, Shaitarn. :-("

Maybe we should get some good Arthurian read recommendations and see if anyone would like to do a buddy read then! :D

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments I had The Once and Future King on my To Read list for quite a few years. Just never prioritized it enough to actually buy it, and my library doesn't have a copy. And for someone who only reads about 50 books a year, it just never seems to make it into my top 50 of books I want to read.

message 21: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Andrew wrote: "I had The Once and Future King on my To Read list for quite a few years. Just never prioritized it enough to actually buy it, and my library doesn't have a copy. And for someone who only reads abou..."

BBC Radio 4 did a six part adaption in 2014; I recommend it if you can find it anywhere (not officially released as far as I know).

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I had The Once and Future King on my To Read list for quite a few years. Just never prioritized it enough to actually buy it, and my library doesn't have a copy. And for someone who ..."

That's appealing. Thanks for the info!

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Ooh, a BBC radio drama sounds awesome!

Okay, I've finished through the end of chapter 7. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Chapter 9: (view spoiler)

message 25: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments How many of you read any story about Arthur, Lancelot, and Guinevere?

I haven't read any. by the time I finished this book I thought I must read a book about them to know how the relationship works among these three...

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Veronica wrote: "Ooh, a BBC radio drama sounds awesome!

Okay, I've finished through the end of chapter 7. L..."

My thoughts exactly about both Jennifer and Kevin. :)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Chapter 9: So Levon is Lancelot. I'm curious as to if this will go down the whole 'doomed love triangle' route or if what Jennifer has suffered and the knowledge of what happened in the original l..."

I didn't get that part about (view spoiler)

That part with Darien broke my heart too.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Veronica wrote: "Chapter three: .."

Thank you for posting them Veronica. I was not familiar with Glastonbury Tor. It is beautiful!!!

And if any of you have any details regarding the (view spoiler)

I'm gonna have to brush up on Arthurian legends. :)

message 29: by Shaitarn (last edited Dec 01, 2017 04:38AM) (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Laura wrote: "Shaitarn wrote: "Chapter 9:

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Shaitarn (last edited Dec 01, 2017 04:57AM) (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments About the child slaying:

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Whew. I got home last night and fell asleep by 6pm...and I slpet through until 7:30am this morning. I never even got up to go to the bathroom! I guess I was pretty wiped out, lol. Needless to say, I didn't get any reading done last night so I'm still at the start of chapter 8.

Thanks for the bit on the child slaying, Shaiturn. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments This is the first notification I am getting from this thread 👿! I will start right away...

message 33: by Veronica (last edited Dec 01, 2017 11:44AM) (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Chapter 8: (view spoiler)

Chapter 9: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "This is the first notification I am getting from this thread 👿! I will start right away..."

Yay!

message 35: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Veronica wrote: "Got through the first two chapters too during my lunch break. [spoilers removed] :-)"

OMG! Please do not tell me it will be so... But that glimpse of the (view spoiler) worries the heck out of me... Do you think they could love him into being a wonderful person??? Nurture vs. Nature...

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "OMG! Please do not tell me it will be so... But that glimpse of the (view spoiler) worries the heck out of me... Do you think they could love him into being a wonderful person??? Nurture vs. Nature... "

That's the big question. It's what's on everyone's mind except for Jennifer's, it seems. I don't know how well she's really thought it all through. I'd say maybe she's just really optimistic but after her ordeal that'd be a lot to ask of her.

message 37: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Veronica wrote: "Chapter three: I knew this was going to involve King Arthur. I feel I should go brush up on the non-Hollywood lore. I'm not familiar with the whole child-slaying thing. Is that part of the legend o..."

This is beautiful!!!

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Isn't it! It looks like it'd be a bit of a hike to get there (since I don't see any cars in the pics)>

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments I came across a very interesting article when I was searching Childslayer as I did not know about that part of the legend. I don't recommend anyone read it until they have finished The Darkest Road as their are some minor and major spoilers (having read the trilogy before I felt safe reading it all).

http://d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/te...

I also came across this one which I haven't fully read, just skimmed and there are definite spoilers here so again, only read at the end. You guys seem to be really into the books and the legends so I thought I'd share.

http://brightweavings.com/ggk/wp-cont...

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Veronica wrote: "Chapter three: I knew this was going to involve King Arthur. I feel I should go brush up on the non-Hollywood lore. I'm not familiar with the whole child-slaying thing. Is that part of the legend o..."

Veronica, I posted (see above) on your child slayer question. (view spoiler)

Also, just started Part II

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Shaitarn wrote: "About the child slaying:

.."

Thank you for explaining. :) I hadn't known that.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I finished it last night and found it a bit disappointing as compared to the first book. Perhaps my mood was off. :( I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of it after finishing. Will post my comments then also.

message 43: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Laura wrote: "I finished it last night and found it a bit disappointing as compared to the first book. Perhaps my mood was off. :( I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of it after finishing. Will post my..."

I have not finished it yet, only up to Ch, 9, but he does not shine prose wise as he usually does, I do not know why... It does not make me sqweeeeee with joy just by reading it... Hmmmm....

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments It was the same for me Choko. It's like something's missing. I was actually wondering if I shouldn't rate it 3.5 stars only.

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Chapter 6

and they were kneeling to the woman no less than the man

Loved that line!

Funny that you guys aren't liking this one as much, for I am liking it more than the first.

message 46: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Emily wrote: "Chapter 6

and they were kneeling to the woman no less than the man

Loved that line!

Funny that you guys aren't liking this one as much, for I am liking it more than the first."

It is not the content. As far as that is concerned, it is more jam-packed with action and the little kid is breaking my heart, but it is something with his style of writing - I am missing the minstrel vibe I always get from him for some reason, and I think that is my favorite part about everything he does:)

message 47: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 652 comments Choko wrote: It is not the content. As far as that is concerned, it is more jam-packed with action and the little kid is breaking my heart, but it is something with his style of writing - I am missing the minstrel vibe I always get from him for some reason, and I think that is my favorite part about everything he does:)

I'm somewhere in the middle of Ch 11 and getting the same vibe. If this didn't have GGK's name on the cover, I wouldn't believe he was the author. Whereas Summer Tree felt like a less mature version of Kay, this just doesn't sound like him at all most of the time. Other quibbles thus far:
-There's more action, but it somehow feels like less is actually happening
-He keeps introducing new names, places, etc with no context. It's getting to be a bear to keep track of, even compared to door-stopper tomes like Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time
-The Arthur dynamic felt forced and completely out of left field (sorry for the baseball analogy for non-Americans)

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Funny you should say that about the Arthur aspect Andrew. The article I posted talks about how the story was always about Arthur and how he foreshadowed it in the first book. I personally didn't see the foreshadowing but he intended it to be there.

message 49: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1865 comments Andrew wrote: "Choko wrote: It is not the content. As far as that is concerned, it is more jam-packed with action and the little kid is breaking my heart, but it is something with his style of writing - I am miss..."

While I don't mind the Arthurian legend coming into it, I don't really see why? I personally think Kay could've written a perfectly good story without it. I do prefer his alt-history fantasy to portal fantasy (I wasn't that fond of Ysabel either).

But if Kay continues getting through characters like this I'm going to be in bits at the end of the next book!

message 50: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Emily wrote: "Funny you should say that about the Arthur aspect Andrew. The article I posted talks about how the story was always about Arthur and how he foreshadowed it in the first book. I personally didn't se..."

I feel the same, Emily. I was suspecting the true identity of the Warrior in the first book so it doesn't feel forced or out of nowhere to me. The whole thing with Fionavar has always had a very (view spoiler) vibe so it's been a natural fit IMO.

« previous 1