Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Summer Tree [November 2017]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 282 (282 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3527 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 20th November.

message 2: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments In!

message 3: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5286 comments Spot!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments I'll be here!

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 653 comments In. Should be fun!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments I'm in. I'll try to keep up this time 😉

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments In of course. :)

message 8: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Should this be my first GGK book? He seems to be damn popular in this group atm, so I figured I'd better get involved at some point!

message 9: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Sean, I think it's as good a place to start as any other. Fionavar might be even less historical fantasy than let's say Arbonne or Sarantine Mosaic, so even a better place to check whether the writer is for you. (And I hope he will prove his worth the time and pages!)

message 10: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Sarantine Mosaic is what really got me interested in looking into him! The 'transported to a fantasy world' setup is one I'm not too fond of, so maybe I'll just go read one of his other books first? Hmmm, I'll have a look around and see what I think.

message 11: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Tigana is great, we buddy read it and all of us loved it. It is a stnadalone, so you might try it first.

1. Tigana (this is how the Squad started) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
2. Sailing to Sarantium https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and Lord of Emperors https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... - we were destroyed.
3. Song for Arbonne - diversity of opinons but still fun to read together https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments Cheers for the info! If I'm looking for something to read around the 20th, I'll hop in here. If not, I'm pretty sure I've Tigana sitting on a shelf at home so I'll add that onto the tbr shelf :)

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments What Mayim said. :-)

message 14: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I will come late. In December. //nodnod

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Welcome to the Kay Squad Sha!!!

We'll stick with you on the thread even if you start/finish late. :)

message 16: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am going to join this read! I am overcommitting but I loved the only book (Tigana) I read by Guy Gavriel Kay, so I am all in!

message 17: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Great to hear that Aristea! Welcome to Kay Squad. :)

message 18: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments Yay!!
Also, I noticed that the ebook cover is simply stunning! This is another incentive for me to start reading!!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1261 comments I haven't read any Kay before, but I'd like to join in on this one as well. I'll see if I can get a copy shipped in time!

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 653 comments I'm going to jump into this today, since I tend to read slower than most Buddy Readers. I'm pumped and once again super glad to have found other GGK fans! Even my few friends that read fantasy haven't read any GGK, so y'all are my only outlet :)

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Hey Andrew. I started last night because I'm a bit if a slower reader too sometimes so no worries. Hope you enjoy it. it's one of his earlier if not earliest work.

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments I'll be starting a day or two late. I'm still reading Oathbringer.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments My Oathbringer didn't download properly, I have to have a walk through chat with Audible to get it working so I haven't even started it yet....😭

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments That sucks, Emily. Look at this way though. You'll have a slightly shorter wait for the next book than the rest of us AND you'll still be experiencing the joy of a first read-though.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'll also be a day or 2 late. Want to finish some of my open reads before starting.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments I like your positive thinking Veronica! ☺

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments I will be starting today in the evening, but it might take me a while to go through the book. I'm insanely busy until the end of the month.

message 28: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am on the same boat as Veronica - I am finishing Oathbringer - albeit I am almost there, a 10% of so left in the book.

I am so pumped for this book though and I have taken most of this week off so I will be immersing myself into the realm of books! So hyped!

Also, there is a cover - the kindle cover - of this book that is in art nuveau (with a dragon that seems to be in Celtic art) and it is simply breathtaking!

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Oh boy. This book shows its age, lol. It was published in 1984.
Chapter two (view spoiler)

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 653 comments Emily wrote: "Oh boy. This book shows its age, lol. It was published in 1984.
Chapter two [spoilers removed]"

Ha! I noticed that too and chuckled.

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments I'll start tonight :) I'm hoping to get through it quite quickly... my reading slump has brought me down the last two weeks!

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 653 comments I'm a little over 20% in and enjoying it thus far. It does feel a little less refined than Kay's later works, but is still solid. The biggest difference I've noticed is that he doesn't seem to find "just the perfect word" nearly as often, and instead uses a more straightforward vocabulary. Also, the characters are taking longer to develop than normal but that might be intentional since this is trilogy.

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments Yeah, I'm going in with realistic expectations since this is an early work for Kay. Like most authors, I'm sure he honed his writing skill the more he wrote so I'm not expecting the same level of writing.

message 34: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Andrew wrote: "Emily wrote: "Oh boy. This book shows its age, lol. It was published in 1984.

Ha! I noticed that too and chuckled."

I have heard that (view spoiler) are becoming super popular again.

I promised myself that I'd do only a couple of pages today and I am 5 chapters into the tale (Olivia, I think you can say goodbye to your reading slump!).

Definitely, one can say that it is not as refined as more mature Kay, but still very engaging.

What I like is (view spoiler).

What I didn't that much is the narrative jumping from one POV to another within each chapter. This got me confused a couple of times at the beginning.

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Veronica wrote: "Yeah, I'm going in with realistic expectations since this is an early work for Kay. Like most authors, I'm sure he honed his writing skill the more he wrote so I'm not expecting the same level of w..."
Andrew wrote: "I'm a little over 20% in and enjoying it thus far. It does feel a little less refined than Kay's later works, but is still solid. The biggest difference I've noticed is that he doesn't seem to find "just the perfect word" nearly as often..."

Definitely not as refined, I'm only on chapter 2 but that is obvious. He really does get better with each book.

Olivia wrote: I'll start tonight :) I'm hoping to get through it quite quickly... my reading slump has brought me down the last two weeks!

I hope this gets you out of your slump. I hate when that happens. :(

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Mayim wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Emily wrote: "Oh boy. This book shows its age, lol. It was published in 1984.

Ha! I noticed that too and chuckled."

I have heard that [spoilers remo..."

Haha, oh Mayim you're going to be done before the rest of us :)

message 37: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments No way, a huge project starting tomorrow and then a business trip to Stockholm. Unless the book is so good I will compromise on my beauty sleep. :D

message 38: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Oh wow. Chapter 1 has me hooked. Who would have thought!

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Mayim wrote: "No way, a huge project starting tomorrow and then a business trip to Stockholm. Unless the book is so good I will compromise on my beauty sleep. :D"

Hahaha, fair enough. I'll probably be a bit slower again since NaNoWriMo is still going on, but we'll see how it goes.

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Olivia wrote: "Oh wow. Chapter 1 has me hooked. Who would have thought!"

Glad to hear it Olivia! :)

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3470 comments I'm starting tonight so I'm glad to hear that it's still engaging even if the writing isn't quite as smooth.

message 42: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Emily wrote: "Mayim wrote: "No way, a huge project starting tomorrow and then a business trip to Stockholm. Unless the book is so good I will compromise on my beauty sleep. :D"

Hahaha, fair enough. I'll probabl..."

Oh, how is your writing going?

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Mayim wrote: "Emily wrote: "Mayim wrote: "No way, a huge project starting tomorrow and then a business trip to Stockholm. Unless the book is so good I will compromise on my beauty sleep. :D"

Hahaha, fair enough..."

Really well, thanks! I'm almost at 50k so the rest of the month will be a bit more relaxed once I hit it. :)

message 44: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2890 comments Incredible. I hope I can read your novel one day. :)

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1261 comments Just started myself with Chapter 1. Even though this is my first book by GGK, the writing style feels cozily familiar. Maybe it's just something about the 80s.

message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily | 306 comments Mayim wrote: "Incredible. I hope I can read your novel one day. :)"

Aww thanks Mayim. I hope so too. :)

message 47: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1071 comments Finished chapter 6 and am mesmerised. It's easy to get lost in his prose and maybe he improved or changed over the years but this is lyrical!

message 48: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Finished chapter 1. Not sure what I think about it yet, but i appreciate the wizard guys deception.

message 49: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Okay, halfway through chapter 2 and now I'm actively liking this. All the characters are getting traits and I like a lot of the prose.

message 50: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I like this book! It made me laugh. //Chapter 3

And the plot becomes more interesting by the minute. If this keeps up I may have to read more of Kay.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6