Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend [June 2018]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
June 20th

Brian | 890 comments I’ll be in!

Andrew | 652 comments I didn't read the last couple books in the Drenai series, but this one appears to be set in the "Druss Era." So I should be able to read it without getting any spoilers for Waylander II or Quest For Lost Heroes...right?

Seems like this series has three distinct periods of time, so my hope is that I can keep up with the Druss Era. I plan to save the Waylander and Tenaka Eras for later.

Lundos | 392 comments In.

Andrew | 652 comments Just bought the book, so I'm officially 'in' now.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I think I should have a copy somewhere. Also, I want to continue the saga.

Brian | 890 comments I’m excited to get back to some Druss action.

Andrew | 652 comments I'm about halfway in, and gotta say I'm loving being back in Gemmel's world. A couple month break was exactly what I needed to make his stories more enjoyable again.

Question for the peanut gallery: is Gemmel's world supposed actually be our world but waaaaaay in the future? Wondering because (spoiler at the 45% mark) (view spoiler)

Brian | 890 comments Quick, easy to read, and brutal. Just the way I like Gemmell.

message 10: by Andrew (last edited Jun 24, 2018 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrew | 652 comments Finished, and it was awesome. It was exactly the prequel to Legend that I had hoped for. Druss is awesome, and if you disagree then you're a filthy whoreson*!

*note: I don't actually think poorly of you for disagreeing. Just wanted an excuse to use Druss' favorite insult

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am in the middle. I think I like it more only because of my sentiment for the Legend. It is nice to see familiar faces (and in their youth!). But truth to be told, I really wouldn't like Druss as my husband O_o

message 12: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments forgot about this one also. (*sigh*)
Starting today.

message 13: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Just starting today

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Oh, I liked it a lot. A lot. Druss is a legend.

Lundos | 392 comments Druss is great. The story buildup is so similar to the other books, but Gemmell has a way to make it work. Every time.