Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Books and Reading > Book Hoarder or No?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
Curious if you consider yourself a book hoarder. What's your criteria for it?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I think I have to consider myself one. I do tend to hoard books by my favorite authors, series even themes. I let them pile up to savor before, during and after I read them. I enjoy the collecting much as the reading.

message 3: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 151 comments "Hoarder" is such a harsh term. Lol. I like to think of myself as a "Collector", sounds much better. Do I have bookshelves where ever I can fit them, yes. Do I have books that won't fit in said bookshelves stuffed in random closets and empty spaces, where ever that maybe...yes. Do I have more books than I can ever read in my lifrtime, again yes. So Hoarder, Shmoarder, I am what I am but Collector sounds classier .☺📚💗

Sounds just like my book situation, Noelle. :)

message 5: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 3 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "Curious if you consider yourself a book hoarder. What's your criteria for it?"

Nah, I mean I've got plenty of books, over 3500 and I'd happily have more if I had the space, and that number doesn't include ebooks either, but they're all in good condition and well taken care of and none of them are infringing on my ability to live or move around my house or anything.

"Hoarder" generally has a connotation (at least when I see it used) of collecting/acquisition taken to the level of dysfunction. People with books (or whatever) stacked to the ceiling and narrow trails between the piles. Rooms full of books teeming with silverfish and rodents because their acquisitions have outpaced their ability to manage them. Being unable to get rid of books whatever their content or condition because you have a disorder that makes doing so incredibly hard and emotionally painful.

I'll own up to being a book lover and someone with more books than the average person probably has. But until I can't manage my life because of those books I'm gonna hold off on labeling myself a hoarder. If nothing else, to discourage anybody with thoughts of staging an intervention. ;)

message 6: by Arch (last edited Oct 12, 2017 10:27AM) (new)

Arch  | 4119 comments Mod
I am just going to say, I have a lot of books. Many, I haven't even read yet. Some going on years. I like buying books that catch my attention.

I see your point. I definitely didn't mean it in a negative sense. My book collection is well-kept and I don't have pest problems. For me, I speak facetiously. I consider myself a book hoarder in that I tend to have a huge attachment to my collection and it's one of the things I still collect.

I also collect art and craft supplies.

Arch wrote: "I am just going to say, I have a lot of books. Many, I haven't even reads yet. Some going on years. I like buying books that catch my attention."

I definitely have more books that I can read in my lifetime. I am going through and culling some books I know I won't read. Not many, but the ones I know that I can live my life without owning.

Susan (the other Susan) (theothersusan) | 259 comments I've moved often, and because books are the heaviest (most expensive) thing to put on a moving van when you're paying by weight, I've had to downsize my collection each time I moved. There are some books that I just won't part with, including some old beautifully illustrated classics that belonged to my grandfather. Some books are about more than the possibility of reading them again; just seeing them on the shelves keeps the memories alive of favorite stories, characters, gorgeously written prose.

message 10: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 3 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "I see your point. I definitely didn't mean it in a negative sense. My book collection is well-kept and I don't have pest problems. For me, I speak facetiously. I consider myself a book hoarder in t..."

No worries, I didn't think you (or anybody else here) had a house full of moldering paperbacks or anything!
I definitely collect art/craft supplies too, I've got paints and yarn and all sorts of stuff squirreled away.
I do like the knitters' term SABLE aka 'Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy' for this sort of situation though.

I suppose the book version would be BABLE, Book Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy?

message 11: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 192 comments Collector or Reader? Do we buy books to put them on a shelf and admire them, or do we buy books to read them and put them on a shelf and cherish them? Or is it some of both?

Danielle, do you simply collect arts and craft supplies, or do you create something with them as well?

:)

Some of both.

I definitely use my art and craft supplies. That's the fun part, seeing how creative I can be with what I have. Also fun to shop for more and plan future works.😁

Susan, I love to spend time with old favorites and remember the joy of the characters and storyline.

message 14: by Netanella (new)

Netanella | 192 comments I've moved a lot as well, which is one of the reasons why I love ebooks. It's easy to add to the collection without having to get another bookshelf. My dry eyes, however, are suffering...

I feel your pain, Netanella. I have a medical issue that makes my eyes have trouble focusing. I would get a lot of headaches and eyestrain. Definitely cut into my reading.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Book hoarder, addict, collector and so on! I lay claim to it all.

I have shelves wherever I can squeeze them in. Way too many titles that I know I probably can not get to. I think I have hit the 4,000 almost 5,000 mark. Even made cardboard shelves to double stack paperbacks on shelves. Designed in a way I can view all the lovely spines!

Ebooks have helped me. However, if I love a series or author I must have the print version!

I feel you, Shera. I am even getting ebook copies of my keepers.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Yeppers! I make sure I've got ebook back ups of all hard copies. Then I have them all on a safe drive, and then one I stashed else where in case the house burns down.

Crazy I know.

message 19: by Arch (new)

Danielle, I give away books that I know that I am not going to read. I keep books, where the character/characters have captured my heart.

Arch wrote: "Danielle, I give away books that I know that I am not going to read. I keep books, where the character/characters have captured my heart."

Same here. I probably need to go through my keeper shelf before I relocate, to make sure that I keep the ones I really consider keepers.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments I have decided to sale or just get rid of books I know I don't want to read. Some of them I don't want to because they are pretty. such as Hush, Hush and Beautiful Creatures. The ones with ugly covers have already vanished. ^_-

Or ones I will get to when all the good ones are done.

message 22: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 381 comments I used to keep all the books I'd read plus a good, healthy number of TBR's until Hurricane Katrina. We had so many folks that lost everything and I hoped my books would be appreciated. And I used to sell back books I'd read but didn't love. Over the years I found it became easier to do. Then lo & behold, I was gifted my first Kindle!!! I am now almost book-free except for a full cabinet and the Cloud. I feel GOOD!

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 392 comments I’m definiely in the book hoarder category. Though I rather like Noelle’s description of book 'collector' :-)
I have many shelves and several bookcases of books. They are squeezed in and stacked on top of each other.
I like to keep the books I read. Even the ones that weren’t so good. It is my reading catalogue, my book memories.

Natalie wrote: "I’m definiely in the book hoarder category. Though I rather like Noelle’s description of book 'collector' :-)
I have many shelves and several bookcases of books. They are squeezed in and stacked on..."

I tend to keep most of the books I read, unless I hated them. I don't hate many books though.

Cindi wrote: "I used to keep all the books I'd read plus a good, healthy number of TBR's until Hurricane Katrina. We had so many folks that lost everything and I hoped my books would be appreciated. And I used t..."

I'm glad that you are loving having a primarily ebook collection, Cindi. I do have plenty of those, but I like the look of books on a physical shelf too much to get rid of them.

Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I have decided to sale or just get rid of books I know I don't want to read. Some of them I don't want to because they are pretty. such as Hush, Hush and Beautiful Creatures. The ones with ugly cov..."

I'm a sucker for a beautiful cover too!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) wrote: "Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I have decided to sale or just get rid of books I know I don't want to read. Some of them I don't want to because they are pretty. such as Hush, Hush and Beautiful Cre..."

It's a real struggle. Especially when the book is just sooooooooo bad.

message 28: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 395 comments I'm definitely a book hoarder. I have books still in boxes from when I moved that will not fit on my bookshelf. My favorite books stay in my room but there are plenty stored in the basement. I will shop library book sales and used book sales knowing I have plenty to read but hoping to find books by favorite authors or on my to-read list.

message 29: by Arch (new)

Tammy, you and I have shopping at the library for books, knowing I have so many at home that I need to read. I even shop thrift stores and garage sales. I have been buying books from the library for 19 years, way back when they sold paperbacks for 10 cents. Now small paperbacks are 50 cents and large ones are $1.00. One thrift store I go to all paperbacks, no matter the sizes are 50 cents and hardbacks are $1.00. I am more into paperbacks than hardbacks. My library even give books away from their collection or books that have been donated. I even donate books to the library for the book sales or put them on the free book carts.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Arch wrote: "Tammy, you and I have shopping at the library for books, knowing I have so many at home that I need to read. I even shop thrift stores and garage sales. I have been buying books from the library fo..."

Wow, that sounds magical. Our thrift stores are being jerks. It's $1 to $3 for paperbacks. Then $3 to $10 for hardbacks. Every once in a while a newbie marks them low.

I really hope we get some salvation armies or some kind of other thrift stores. They throw away so many good books because people don't want to pay that much, then they turn people in for raiding their dumpsters.

message 31: by Aղցela W. (last edited Nov 21, 2017 09:04PM) (new)

Aղցela W. | 104 comments I am a ebook hoarder I realized the other day that I buy books when they come out and don't read them. I buy them because of the cover or I want to support the author.

message 32: by Arch (new)

Shera, check to see if you all have an Habitat For Humanity in your area or near by and callthem and ask them if they have a store. I didn't find out that we had a store, until last year, when I've received a community book in the mail and I saw their add. They sell all their paperbacks for 50 cents and hardbacks for $1.00 and somey have times they have a 50% off sale. Lasy year for the holiday, they were sell big boxes of books for 50% off. I bought a box that was original $4.00 for $2.00. Another thing, you can call different churches to see if they have a thrift store. I didn't know about a church out here that had their own thrift store, until I went a cousin of mine to it in 2012. They sell paperbacks for 50 cents. They used to be 3 for $1.00. Their hardbacks aways been a $1.00.

message 33: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 3 comments Arch wrote: "Shera, check to see if you all have an Habitat For Humanity in your area or near by and call them and ask them if they have a store. I didn't find out that we had a store, until last year, when I've..."

Might be worth calling the Habitat ReStore and seeing if that particular place carries books, none of the ones near me do, closest the 2 near me ever got to books was a ton of crappy dvds after a video rental place went out of business and donated them so it might be at the discretion of the people running each store.
Though they can have all sorts of other neat stuff to make it worth a visit anyway.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Thank for the advice guys. We don't have much. We have some Restore, but they don't do clothing, books, and such. They do home fixer upper stuff.

We do have one new thrift store. They don't do books either.

Tammy wrote: "I'm definitely a book hoarder. I have books still in boxes from when I moved that will not fit on my bookshelf. My favorite books stay in my room but there are plenty stored in the basement. I will..."

I've had to cut back on going to the used bookstore because I have zero impulse control. :)

message 36: by Arch (new)

If you guys have a Dollar Tree in your area, check them out as well. We have three of them. Those 99 cent stores might sell books as well. I haven't been to a Dollar General store in a while, but ours sell books, unless they stopped.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments Arch wrote: "If you guys have a Dollar Tree in your area, check them out as well. We have three of them. Those 99 cent stores might sell books as well. I haven't been to a Dollar General store in a while, but o..."

They have had great books for a dollar! Also, Dollar General has been great for cheap new books.