Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > January 2018 FBR Book Club Nominatons & Poll!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 11, 2017 01:13PM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
After a random draw, our official FBR Book Club Nominator for January 2018 is:

Angela!!

Here are her Nominations and the link to the poll:
Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) by Fiona McIntosh The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust, #1) by Craig Schaefer Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1) by John Scalzi

Empire in Black and Gold - Adrian Tchaikovsky
Steampunk. Reason for picking? It's been on my TBR for way too long.

Blood Song - Anthony Ryan
I would love to try another Anthony Ryan series. I see a lot of you have already read this one though.

Royal Exile - Fiona Mcintosh
I've read both The Quickening and Percheron by Fiona McIntosh and enjoyed both.

The Long Way Down - Craig Schaefer
Urban fantasy and Daniel Faust is one of those authors I keep meaning to try.

Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Sci Fi again another book I see quite a few have already read, but yet again a series I've been meaning to try for a while.

January 2018 FBR Book Club Poll: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I swear I'm not rigging it in favor of the mods. If I were, my name would've been first, lol.

I'm going to catch a load of crap if my name comes up next month. :P

message 3: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Congrats Angela can't wait to see your pick...that is if I'm able to read it at the time

message 4: by Kieron (new)

Kieron It's ok Niki we trust you, after all you're not Scott. Well done Angela, can't wait to see your selections.

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Thanks Niki! Looking forward to picking the books for the group to vote on. Haha I have a whole shelf of first in series books, it only totals around 145 books.

message 6: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Congrats Angela :)

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Kieron wrote: "It's ok Niki we trust you, after all you're not Scott. Well done Angela, can't wait to see your selections."

This place really is just like home.

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Wooohoo, congrats Angela. Can't wait to see what you decide.

message 9: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Nominations and Poll are up!! May the best book win! :D

message 10: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Great choices Angela I picked empire in black and gold since I really want to read tchiakovsky work and I'm gonna read guns of the dawn in a couple of days as well so I might go ahead with it haha

message 11: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Thanks Ahdam. It was actually more challenging to try to pick a variety of books than I thought it would be.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I picked The Long Way Down because it seems like a more serious version of the Dresden Files which I'm liking just because it's different. Although, is like to read Anthony Ryan's Blood Song too.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_davies) | 166 comments Haven't read any of them. All of them seem to be series that are completed, which I greatly appreciate. Based on the descriptions, I'd choose to read 4 of the 5 but maybe not the The Long Way Down. I eliminated Empire in Black and Gold because it is such a long series; but I'll still likely read it if it wins. I picked Old Man because the description sounds the most intriguing to me.

message 14: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments I picked Old Man's war mostly because I already own it. XD and I missed the buddy read a few months ago.
Great choices :)

message 15: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I picked Old Man's War because my only incomplete Sci-fi series at the moment is Honor Harrington, and I hear it falls apart after awhile... and I want to try Scalzi... I picked up another Scalzi book a few weeks ago on audible sale...

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I read Agent to the Stars by Scalzi and have been scared by how bad it was and thus haven't attempted anything since. The book is an UB/SF blend that'a a bit of a spoof but his humor missed the mark so completely I haven't been able to read another of his works.

message 17: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

We just finished book 4 of the old man's war series and it was good! The first book is the best, but it definitely hasn't fallen apart for me. It's not nearly as robust as some scifi (Expanse) but it's still loads of fun. :)

Scott - this series is more sardonic than outwardly trying to be funny. He throws in some old man jokes, which I admit to laughing at.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'm sure it's good but the last few authors I've given a second chance I haven't been rewarded.

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Me too, actually. Good point...

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I've already read Long Way Down (it was okay but not enough for me to continue with the series) and I own Blood Song and Old Man's War (haven't read either yet), so that narrowed down the field for me. I ended up voting for Blood Song because I've read a few Scalzi books (liked two and was meh on the third) but have not read anything by Ryan so want to give him a shot.

message 21: by Silvana (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:23AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Blood Song is amazing but the third book of the trilogy was horrendous I am still regretting the day I read it. However, I am still vouching for the first book because it ticks all the right boxes.

Old Man's War I really liked but the rest of the series aren't as good I was so disappointed and took a break from the current BR.
For those who want to try Scalzi, Tor has a guide for you: https://www.tor.com/2017/03/20/where-... Old Man's War is one of the best entry points indeed. My first one was Redshirts and it's a hoot.

I am thinking for voting Empire in Black and Gold since I want to give Tchaikovsky another chance to wow me after my lukewarm reaction to Guns of the Dawn. And of course, steampunk is one of the subgenres I like. However, the series is ten book long. So....not sure.

message 22: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I went for Blood Song for this one. I've been wanting to try that one for a while.

I read Old Man's War expecting to love it. Sadly, I did not. At all.

message 23: by Seán (new)

Seán | 602 comments I think Blood Song is what I'd pick from that list, but I've heard a lot of bad things about how the series ends that I'm not sure I want to commit to it. I'll hold back my vote for now and check out some more reviews in the meantime.