Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence: Longlist 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3724 comments Mod
Fiction and Nonfiction Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence: Longlist 2018. It includes both our October and November discussion books, respectively. Which have you read or plan to read?

http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/carne...

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina So far The Ministry of Utmost Happiness but I'd like to read Here in Berlin because Cristina Garcia is one of my favorite authors.

For nonfiction, I have read the Alexie memoir, will read the Tan memoir as well as Killers of a Flower Moon. I'm also interested in The Gulf and will look into it.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 103 comments This is an excellent list--thanks for sharing, Columbus. I'm reading The Ministry of Utmost Happiness now, and will be reading Augustown as soon as it's available from my library.

I'm most looking forward to The Heart's Invisible Furies, Exit West, Sing, Unburied, Sing, Leonardo da Vinci and Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2873 comments Mod
I think both the Fiction and the NF lists are excellent (especially the fiction list).

The finalists will be announced on Oct 25th. and cannot imagine how the Judges are going to whittle the list down to 3 fiction finalists and 3 nonfictions finalists!!!!

I have read the following fiction books:
What We Lose
American War
Exit West
Human Acts
White Tears
Augustown
Lincoln in the Bardo

DNF (Did not finish)
Spoils
The Night Ocean

I am must looking forwarding to reading:
Sing, Unburied, Sing
The Golden Legend
Future Home of the Living God
Five-Carat Soul
The Golden House

On the Nonfiction side I have read:
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

The Nonfiction on my tbr list:
We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America (currently reading)
The Gulf: The Making of An American Sea

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Louise wrote: "This is a great list. I have read:

The Graybar Hotel: Stories
Augustown
Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

and ..."

How was The Graybar Hotel: Stories?
I had gotten it from the library but it became due before I had a chance to read.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise | 138 comments Beverly wrote: "How was The Graybar Hotel: Stories?
I had gotten it from the library but it became due before I had a chance to read. ."

It wasn't one of my favorite story collections. I just found it okay. Having said that, I listened to it on audio and I do find that I enjoy short story mores when I read them rather than listen to them. So maybe I would have enjoyed them more on the page ?

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) Kathleen wrote: "This is an excellent list--thanks for sharing, Columbus. I'm reading The Ministry of Utmost Happiness now, and will be reading Augustown as soon as it's available fr..."

I've read:
Barry, Sebastian. Days without End. (Viking)
Boyne, John. The Heart’s Invisible Furies. (Crown/Hogarth)
Hamid, Mohsin. Exit West. (Riverhead)
Kunzru, Hari. White Tears. (Knopf)
Saunders, George. Lincoln in the Bardo. (Random House)
Barry's and Boyne's books both feature gay male protagonists.
I'm currently listening to
 The Ninth Hour. by McDermott, Alice and my next listen will be
Sing, Unburied, Sing. by Jesmyn Ward..
And I just picked up Augustownfrom the library.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Louise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "How was The Graybar Hotel: Stories?
I had gotten it from the library but it became due before I had a chance to read. ."

It wasn't one of my favorite story collections. I just foun..."

Thanks for your thoughts.
While I do like audio books - I try not to do short stories on audio as it usually does not work out for me.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise | 138 comments Beverly wrote: "While I do like audio books - I try not to do short stories on audio as it usually does not work out for me. ."

I feel the same way. I read a lot of short stories. In fact my goal for 2017 is to read one short story per day and so far I have kept it up. This was one of the few I did on audio and it wasn't a particularly good experience. Short stories need to be read slowly and savored.

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Here is some information on another of the MacArthur Class of 2017 Fellows.

Newly dubbed MacArthur “Genius” Rhiannon Giddens wants to bring one of the most overlooked moments in American history to the stage.

Rhiannon Giddens is following in the footsteps of Lin-Manuel Miranda ― in more ways than one.

First, the North Carolina-born musician earned herself a spot on the 2017 roster of MacArthur Fellows, a career-defining prize commonly referred to as the “Genius Grant” that comes with a “no strings attached” award of $625,000. Miranda snagged the multi-disciplinary grant in 2015, as did icons like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and Colson Whitehead before him.

Second, and perhaps more surprising, is the fact that Giddens is writing a musical. The acclaimed banjoist, fiddler and founding member of the Grammy-winning Carolina Chocolate Drops was recognized by the MacArthur Foundation for her work “reclaiming African-American contributions to folk and country music and bringing to light new connections between music from the past and the present.” And she plans to continue doing just that on the stage, by bringing to life the story of the Wilmington insurrection of 1898. 

Here is the link to the full article and samples of her music.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...

message 12: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3724 comments Mod
Beverly wrote: "Here is some information on another of the MacArthur Class of 2017 Fellows.

Newly dubbed MacArthur “Genius” Rhiannon Giddens wants to bring one of the most overlooked moments in American history t..."

Beverly, thanks so, so much for this. I’ve been following the Chocolate Drops since they came on the scene and Rhiannon’s solo career by extension. I love their music. This Wilmington project sounds super exciting. Thanks again!

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Columbus wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Here is some information on another of the MacArthur Class of 2017 Fellows.

Newly dubbed MacArthur “Genius” Rhiannon Giddens wants to bring one of the most overlooked moments in Am..."

I first learned about the Chocolate Drops when I had moved to NC and the local PBS channel showed one of their performances.

I am enjoying Rhiannon’s album - “Freedom’s Highway”

Such wonderful history in this music - so glad it is being kept alive.

message 14: by Beverly (new)

http://www.theroot.com/will-you-take-...

Here is an article on the Black Genius in the MacArthur 2017 Fellows