OWP's Wild Things Discussion discussion

Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult
This topic is about Wild Things
Intended audience?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Lawson (amandalawson) | 9 comments I am currently on chapter four of Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult. The more I read, the more I question- who is Handy's intended audience? As a teacher, I always tell my students to write with your audience in mind, but I cannot figure out who Handy's targeted audience is for this book. What are your thoughts?

Christene Alfonsi | 9 comments Hmmmmm...this is interesting. At first, I thought the book would give more of a history of the genre (based on the introduction), but now (I'm on chapter 4), I'm wondering how Handy chose the books he examines in depth. I don't have an answer here, but I'm going to keep this in mind as I continue reading.

message 3: by Betsy (new) - added it

Betsy | 13 comments I'm still thinking about this question, too. I'm planning on some reading time this weekend, so I'll keep this in mind as I read

message 4: by Betsy (new) - added it

Betsy | 13 comments Amanda wrote: "I am currently on chapter four of Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult. The more I read, the more I question- who is Handy's intended audience? As a teacher, I always t..."
Read more this weekend, and I'm still thinking about this. I wonder if he isn't his own audience at times. What also interests me about this question is that Handy wonders who the authors of children's books are really writing for, themselves or the children. He seems to keep returning to this question.

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista Hill | 6 comments I was afraid to say it out loud, but I thought that he might be writing for himself as well. And teachers maybe or just lovers of children's books.