Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Jackie's 2018 AtY Challenge Plan

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (last edited Dec 07, 2018 09:21PM) (new)

Jackie | 1304 comments Mod
This year I am actually going to have a plan. This will be my second year with AtY, though I've done the Popsugar challenge for a couple years. I'm probably going to do that one as well, but AtY is going to get the priority and I am going to attempt to read the prompts in order *gasp*. That said, I'm only going to plan about a month in advance so I don't get too bogged down.

Books shown by their cover are just ideas or things I plan on reading, once I've read a book for the prompt, I'll change it to show the title.

The 2018 List

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Grace & Style: The Art of Pretending You Have It ★★★

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Mystery of the Blue Train★★★

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
What Happened winner for Memoir & Autobiography ★★★★

4. Elements Book #1: Earth
Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident ★★★★

5. A book about or inspired by real events
oh god you guys I watched The Room; it's so horrifically bad
The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made ★★★★★

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
originally written in French ★★★★★

7. A gothic novel
The Woman in Black ★★★★

8. An "own voices" book
Aya ★★★★

9. A book with a body part in the title
The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil ★★★★

10. An author's debut book
The Body In The Transept ★★★

11. A literary fiction
Pride and Prejudice★★★★★

12. A book set in Africa or South America
Aya: Love in Yop City ★★★★★
set in the Cote d'Ivoire

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
Lord Edgware Dies ★★★★

14. Elements Book #2: Fire
The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America ★★★★

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
House of Leaves ★★★★★

16. A narrative nonfiction
City of Light, City of Poison: Murder, Magic, and the First Police Chief of Paris ★★★

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to Be a Grown-up★★
sadly didn't actually make me laugh

18. A book with a location in the title
Jade Dragon Mountain ★★★

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author
By the Pricking of My Thumbs ★★
written by Agatha Christie, first ever winner of the Grand Master award; not her best work in my opinion

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
yall better read some good shit that's all I'm going to say
Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions ★★★★★
yall did read some good shit after all, good job

21. A book written in first person perspective
Around the World in 72 Days ★★★

22. A book you have high expectations or hopes for
The Supernatural Enhancements★★★★

23. A medical or legal thriller
this is one I'm not looking forward to, bc I really don't see a work around and it's not a genre I enjoy
Partners
didn't like it, no one is shocked

24. A book with a map
Holy Terror In The Hebrides★★★

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Tangerine★★

26. A book with a text only cover
Nabokov's Favorite Word Is Mauve: What the Numbers Reveal About the Classics, Bestsellers, and Our Own Writing ★★★

27. A book about surviving a hardship
The Best We Could Do ★★★★

28. Elements Book #3: Water
Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life ★★★

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title
Magpie Murders★★★★
it's very small, and it's a dinner knife not a dagger, but anything's a weapon if you try hard enough

30. A short book
Ordinary Beast ★★★
at a mere 66 pages, it is a slender ordinary beast

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
The Black Tulip ★★★
set in the Netherlands

32. An alternate history book
Noble Metals ★★

33. A book connected to a word "born" in the same year as you
the word I'm going with is "geek out", def: to become excited or enthusiastic over a favorite subject or activity; I'm going with a book on topic I 'geek out' about
Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything ★★★★

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
A book whose title has a celestial body
Evil Under the Sun ★★★★★

35. A book featuring a murder
Thank you, O Reading Gods, for this thine gift. My TBR thanks you.
Mayhem at the Orient Express★★★★

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel★★★★★

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
this is the one I'm truly dreading (everybody has one I think). I think the award committee and I just have fundamentally different ideas of what makes something a good book
Alif the Unseen ★★★★

38. A science book or a science fiction book
Binti★★★

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail★★★★

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
The Secret History ★★★★★

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
The Alienist by Caleb Carr ★★★★

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Corpse with the Diamond Hand

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
We Are Okay ★★★★★

44. A ghost story
Anya's Ghost★★★★

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Turn of the Screw

46. Elements Book #4: Air
H is for Hawk★★★★

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Moonstruck, Volume One: Magic to Brew★★★★★

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
Trick or Deceit ★★

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse: An Extraordinary Edwardian Case of Deception and Intrigue★★★

50. A book with a warm atmosphere
A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo★★★★★

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Library Ghost of Tanglewood Inn

52. A book published in 2018
Melmoth★★★★

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm excited for you to do the challenge in order. It definitely adds a new element to it. I hope you enjoy!

message 3: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
yall better read some good shit that's all I'm going to say

LMAO....too funny

message 4: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (last edited Oct 31, 2017 09:10AM) (new)

I'm thinking about also doing a mini challenge to read a murder mystery for each of the seven deadly sins where each sin is a motive for a murder. So wrath, jealousy, greed, and lust seem pretty easy. I can imagine situations in which pride could be considered the motive (offing somebody b/c they will hurt your reputation, or maybe a mother snuffing people so that her children will move up in a line for inheritence, something like that). Gluttony though? Or sloth? Those might be tricky.

message 5: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

13 prompts done = 1/4 of the challenge completed

Just thought I'd do a checkin after the first quarter of the challenge. I'm enjoying doing the prompts in order. I've had a couple side reads, and in fact I thought Pride and Prejudice was going to be a side read, but the timing worked out that I finished it just in time to use it as my literary fiction. I've definitely been targeting short books as a way to knock out a bunch of prompts.

I haven't read anything bad yet this year and there've been several really good ones in the mix. What Happened might be the best from this quarter.

Now I think I'm ready to get a longer book and just slowly work away at it for a while. I'm thinking my fire theme book is going to be The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America, which isn't all that long, but after that is the unique format prompt and I've been eyeing S. and House of Leaves which are both clunkers.

message 6: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Well, I just had my first 1★ of the year. I knew the medical/legal thriller prompt was going to be rough because that is just *not* my genre. Which is fine, to each their own and all that. Someone recommended a John Grisham short story and I figured I probably wouldn't love it, but he's one of the kings of legal thrillers and it's only a short story. No. No no no. Partners was *SO BAD* that I almost feel bad about using it for this category. Almost. I'd read The Alienist but I'm just not game for a nearly 500 page book right now, so Partners gets to stay.

Maybe one year I'll super extra challenge myself to only count books that get a 3★ or above. Like the book has to be better than just ok to make it on the list. This is not that year. Onward and upward.

message 7: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

I've reached the halfway point!

26 prompts down, 26 to go.

I'm still going in order, though of course I've read lots of 'side reads' along the way (18 of them). I'm enjoying doing it this way; I feel like I get to focus on each of the prompts rather than only having to put thought into the ones that are more difficult for me to fill.

Looking ahead, the two hardest prompts in the next quarter for me are going to be alternate history and the Women's Prize in Fiction. Many of the others should be reasonably easy for me to find things on my tbr.

In my other challenges, the Popsugar is also well past the halfway point, but I'm doing that one just by filling things in as I'm able and that means that most of the prompts left are ones that don't naturally crop up in my reading. I'm going to have to start choosing books specifically for those prompts soon. A very similar situation with the Bookriot Read Harder, and the Modern Mrs. Darcy challenges. I haven't been enjoying the MMD challenge; none of the prompts are all that inspiring to me. My A-Z challenge is going well, but again I'm going to need to start choosing books specifically for some of the letters.

I have ditched one challenge: to read 18 2018-releases. Considering I've only read 2 so far, I just don't think 18 is going to happen.

message 8: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

3/4 Update:

39 books done, 13 to go.

I'm still doing the prompts in order, which definitely adds an interesting aspect to the challenge. However, I've noticed that in my desire to stay on pace, I often find myself seeking out the shortest book that I can use to fill a prompt, which sometimes means squeezing in books that are perhaps not 100% faithful to the spirit of the prompt. I don't see those as a problem per se, but I do think that it's not necessarily adding to my enjoyment of the prompts individually. I'm starting to brainstorm different ways to go about the challenge next year that might change things up.

My other side challenges remain on target, but my interest in the ones left has waned considerably. I think I complained in the past about the amount of overlap between AtY and Popsugar, but now I would welcome greater overlap so I could polish off Popsugar more easily.

Overall, I have read 78 books at this point so this might end up being the year I cross the 100 book marker.

message 9: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

My four Elements prompts are now done! By coincidence I chose nonfiction books for the first two so I decided to carry it through as a theme for the set.

Earth: Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident
Fire: The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America
Water: Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
Air: H is for Hawk

I gave all of them 3 or 4 stars too, so no duds!

message 10: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

I DID IT!!! I finished the ATY Challenge! In order! I did it!

*dances around* *toots various horns*

It only took me 95 books to do it haha. I'll probably add an end-of-year wrap-up summary thing at the end of the month.

But I finished the challenge!

message 11: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments 🎆🎇🎉Congratulations. Dancing around room with you.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2218 comments Congrats, Jackie!

message 13: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Yay!

message 14: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Congrats Jackie 🎉

message 15: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 714 comments Congrats Jackie! when I finished a couple of days ago, I celebrated by going to the library and picking up a bunch more books to read! Hope you have fun in the month “off”