Everything Other World discussion

Books from monthly reading list > October 2017: The Hobbit

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Springs | 181 comments Mod
I'll be honest. I actually thought The Martian won. (Great book, not too bad movie.)

The Hobbit was one of my favorite books when I was in middle school and high school. I've read it a few times since then. Of course, the Lord of the Rings trilogy always followed on the heels of The Hobbit. I saw the movies, the Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers, in Ireland when I was in graduate school at NUI Galway. The Return of the King I saw when I moved back to the states. Oddly, I only watched the Unexpected Party in theaters. I saw the Desolation of Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies in the extended cut at home.

I can imagine that the Hobbit movies might not have appealed to purists. They did deviate from Tolkien's works. On the plus side, you got to know all the dwarves. (My favorite was Bofur played by James Nesbitt.) The actions of the Thorin were given a deeper meaning: the elves of Mirkwood didn't come to their aid. Dragon sickness explained his unwillingness to give aid to Laketown. Azog gave them a constant nemesis. The battle was not a random attack to get the gold, but Sauron trying to seize a strategic stronghold.

On the minus side, much of the film deviated from canon. Azog was dead long before the events of the Hobbit, slain by Dain Ironfoot before the gates of Moria. Legolas never came into the tale. Tauriel was an invention of the film. There were no female elves of name in the book. With some of the cuts made in the theatric version, parts of the battle didn't make much sense unless you saw the extended version.

What does everyone else think?

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Schuder (goodreadscomkirstenschuder) | 233 comments Mod
Saying that The Hobbit is a classic is an understatement. I have always admired J. R. Tolkien. While the movies were not 100 percent accurate, it was still nice to see the director's rendering of the elven city, for example. And of course, it's always a treat to see Steven Tyler's daughter on the big screen.

Off the subject, I met Mr. Tylerrico during my friend's piano lessons. Plus, my husband had him as a music teacher when he was in hight school. Mr. Tylerico taught his students all of his son's songs.

Back to the Hobbit. I think this book excels in the world building, and everyone who is into fantasy should read it as an example of how to do it right.