Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
This topic is about The Price of Spring
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Price of Spring [May 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 24, 2017 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6931 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham starting May 10, 2018.
The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4) by Daniel Abraham

Here's a link to a FBR group read for this book in 2017:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot! 😀

Arka (ruineleint) In

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Yes! I am running out of Daniel Abraham's fantasy works to read.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments In, of course.

Miche | 2939 comments I will attempt to join.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Starting this. I cannot wait to reach the end. But I will be sad too I guess.

message 8: by Miche (last edited May 09, 2018 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche | 2939 comments I will try to read it this weekend.

message 9: by Miche (last edited May 09, 2018 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche | 2939 comments I started it today.

Chapter 2, 11%

So far I am enjoying the story, but one if the pov (view spoiler) managed to get more annoying than it was in previous books. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Miche wrote: "I started it today.

Chapter 2, 11%

So far I am enjoying the story, but one if the pov [spoilers removed] managed to get more annoying than it was in previous books. [spoilers removed]"

BOO... I'll be starting soon, I think...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Prologue

Oh gods, what the hell happened to the dead woman...

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Miche (last edited May 10, 2018 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche | 2939 comments Silvana wrote: "Prologue

[spoilers removed]"

It was a horrible way to die.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Miche wrote: "I started it today.

Chapter 2, 11%

So far I am enjoying the story, but one if the pov [spoilers removed] managed to get more annoying than it was in previous books. [spoilers removed]"

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It would be funny if he succeeds at the end, thats the only way to redeem his character for me.

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Miche | 2939 comments Silvana wrote: "Chapter 4
(view spoiler)."

(view spoiler)

Miche | 2939 comments I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

It is late now and I should go to sleep, so I will comment further sometime this weekend.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I am starting today.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

It is late now and I should go to sleep, so I will comment further sometime this weekend."

Wow you're fast!

I'm at 50%. Got a bit confused during the explanation on "grammar".

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Silvana wrote: "Prologue

[spoilers removed]"

That was grotesque... but I was expecting something after seeing your vague comments :)

message 19: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 11, 2018 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Miche wrote: "I started it today.

Chapter 2, 11%

It's funny how much (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments We barely pay attention to (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

It is late now and I should go to sleep, so I will comment further sometime this weekend."

Wow you're fast!

I'm at 50%. Got..."

I'm nearing 50% as well... (view spoiler)

Things are getting interesting at Poet School: (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Iain wrote: "We barely pay attention to [spoilers removed]"

Well, considering (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments 80%: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments 95%: (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Chapter 16
(view spoiler)

Also the Danat-Ana thing is really corny.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments They seemed to be doing just fine, just took some time to adjust.

I finished this too, lucky there were lots of holidays nowadays.

While I am good with the ending, the amount of drawn out self contemplation in this book is killing me. Maybe because I am not the type of person who thinks about the past alot, it felt grating and made the pacing glacial. Also, Otah and the minutiae of court life took 1/5 of the book. Maati's self pity maybe 1/3. The only POV I enjoyed was Eiah. And it does not surprise me that she ended up (view spoiler)

Well, now I only have Hunter's Run to read. And Tiamat's Wrath.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Iain wrote: "95%: I suspected that was what would happen... .."

Clearly the others also think very low about Eiah including her own stupid father. I don't know, Otah has become as annoying as Maati.

What's sad was (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Silvana wrote: "They seemed to be doing just fine, just took some time to adjust.

I finished this too, lucky there were lots of holidays nowadays.

While I am good with the ending, the amount of drawn out self c..."

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Miche wrote: "I started it today.

Chapter 2, 11%

I have to say that I entirely surprised shocked myself by being totally team Maati in this instalment. I cannot stand Otah's rightful arrogance!

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Miche wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Chapter 4
(view spoiler)."

[spoilers removed]"

I was happy to see her too, but I expected that. Abraham does not waste good characters. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Iain wrote: "We barely pay attention to [spoilers removed]"

This is one of the inconsistencies that jarred me in this instalment. (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

Wow you're fast!
..."

The thing is, I guess, that Abraham changed the assumptions governing the andat. Initially, they were supposed to be only thoughts made flesh. In this part, it is obvious that (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Iain wrote: "95%: I suspected that was what would happen... but I loved how dumbstruck everyone was when "Eyah" freed Wounded right after healing everyone... she didn't want to become a poet... just heal the wo..."

Eiah was great. A bright point of the whole book. The ending was pathetic, though and the epilogue! made me choke with bombast (can one do this to a devoted reader???)

I wanted to love this book, but it didn't work for me. :(

Miche | 2939 comments Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, Mayim. :(

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

Wow ..."

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Scott, I am still a great fan of the series and in spite of my personal dislike for Abraham's playing with certain concepts, I believe it is top notch fantasy worth reading. I just hoped to love it and instead I was, I don't know, saddened and angered in equal parts.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "Scott, I am still a great fan of the series and in spite of my personal dislike for Abraham's playing with certain concepts, I believe it is top notch fantasy worth reading. I just hoped to love it..."

I understand and as I said I appreciate your vocalizing it. If we all thought the same way it would be a boring world. Dissenting opinions when well articulated are interesting. When it's ad hominem it turns me off.

message 38: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 9 chapters done.

So far, I really like it a lot, a lot more than the previous books in fact.
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Iain wrote: "We barely pay attention to [spoilers removed]"

Yep. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

Wow ..."

I have to disagree here (view spoiler)

message 41: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Finished it, liked it.

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

Wow ..."

I think (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Arkadeb wrote: "9 chapters done.

So far, I really like it a lot, a lot more than the previous books in fact..."

Sounds like (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

It is late now and I should go to sleep, so I will comment further sometime this w..."

Exactly... (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Iain wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "I finished the book. Beautiful conclusion to the series.

It is late now and I should go to sleep, so I will comment further..."

I agree but (view spoiler) Anyone noticed that (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Just started... Poor women, but at least they are trying!

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayim wrote: "."

I'm not sure what you mean by (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14714 comments Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "."

I'm not sure what you mean by [spoilers removed]"

I think she means how (view spoiler)

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iain wrote: "Scott wrote: "Mayim wrote: "."

I'm not sure what you mean by [spoilers removed]"

I think she means how [spoilers removed]"

I never really had an issue with that. I did kind of want (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Up to Ch 16... Galt deserves everything it gets and I hate how they play the victim, when they destroyed cities and countries, killing and raping... They had no mercy, why should the poets???

« previous 1