Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
This topic is about A Betrayal in Winter
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > A Betrayal in Winter [Mar 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Oct 24, 2017 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7038 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham starting March 10, 2018.
A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2) by Daniel Abraham

Here's a link to a FBR group read for this book in 2017:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I MIGHT join this one mainly because Scott really enjoyed this one haha

Arka (ruineleint) In

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Starting this today since I will have deadlines this week so I can only read a few chapters a day. Adulting is so hard *sigh

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I'm in but I'll be on schedule.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Love the prologue!

All these mining things reminded me of Poldark haha

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm in, just waiting for my book to arrive.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Spot!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Chapter 2
(view spoiler) I like the idea of courier I think they made interesting stories like the Pony Express (?) TV series eons ago.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Chapter 2
Ooh a murder mystery!
(view spoiler)

Otah (view spoiler)

I like Cehmai and his andat.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I wanted only to lick the surface yesterday and here I am already in chapter 4! And so much has already happened!

I like the fact that it blends mystery with fantasy and it makes me excited that we know the culprit from the start. Silvana (view spoiler)

I was never a fan of Maati but the vile part of me was glad to see that (view spoiler)

The new poet is (again!) a poor creature driven by his passions and destroyed by his own talent. But I positively adore the librarian. (view spoiler) Just imagining the Galt with the power of andat gives me shivers.

I am waiting for Otah to win me over in this instalment. Come on boy, I know you can do it!

And again, I am admiring the writing style. I have tons of highlights!

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Mayim wrote: "And again, I am admiring the writing style. I have tons of highlights! "

He is so brilliant. I just love all the small nuances to his writing and this world.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Mayim wrote: "I wanted only to lick the surface yesterday and here I am already in chapter 4! And so much has already happened!

I like the fact that it blends mystery with fantasy and it makes me excited that ..."

Ah, that explains it, thanks!

Agree with the spoiler comments. Your grandma is very wise.

Idaan is quite fascinating. I like ambitious young women. Their inexperience (and hopefully) growth are good reading material.

message 14: by Silvana (last edited Mar 10, 2018 10:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) I am going to start this very soon, as soon as I done with another BR

message 16: by Silvana (last edited Mar 10, 2018 10:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Chapter 10 and the early parts of chapter 11
(view spoiler)

I like Sinja.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Arkadeb wrote: "I am going to start this very soon, as soon as I done with another BR"

I think you'll enjoy this one.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments I...finished. Sorry, folks, it is the weekend and been raining constantly so I got nothing to do and the story is just so engaging :p

Love the more-packed storyline, the characters, new ones especially Chemai and the Stone andat (their relationship is intriguing), and crazy, troubled Idaan. A solid four stars.

I'll leave it at that, looking forward to the other comments.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I finished too and it's a testament to how good the story is. Extremely satisfying. Nearly five stars.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I'm psyched everybody is loving this. The three series I continually recommend are Malzan, Manifest Delusions and LPQ and I'm always excited when people find them as compelling as I do.

Miche | 2939 comments Beautiful and sad prologue.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Miche wrote: "Beautiful and sad prologue."

It does, isn't it? I am also really intrigued with the mines.

Miche | 2939 comments Silvana wrote: "Miche wrote: "Beautiful and sad prologue."

It does, isn't it? I am also really intrigued with the mines."

Same!

I am impressed how much his writing improved. The narrative feels much tighter than at the first book.

Miche | 2939 comments Silvana wrote: "Chapter 6 "

A lot happened here!

Miche | 2939 comments Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I got very excited at that point too.

Miche | 2939 comments I finished it. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down. :)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Prologue: (view spoiler)

Andat: I find how different this one is to the last one so interesting... (view spoiler)

I'm 33% in now, and I'm liking almost everything, even if Maati and Otah are somber POVs... (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Horny monks are so repressed, you know! :D

I think you'll find more revelations on the nature of andats in the later chapters.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I really liked how the andat reflects poet's personality.

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Yea... Stone-Made-Soft's Andat nature is so deceptive in this, partially because of how the narrator voices him languidly and like he's congested or got something in his mouth... (view spoiler)

I'm around 80% now... this book has been great... I even appreciate the one storyline I didn't earlier... (view spoiler)

I see what Daniel Abraham meant in the Q&A about understanding the antagonists and maybe forgiving them... (view spoiler)

The Long Price (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Iain, I thought so too, unless it refers to some greater design and encompasses the price paid for binding the andat.

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments I reached the epilogue... (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments But I liked the Otah-boy this time. He has finally manned up! (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Oh, I liked Otah... don't get me wrong... (view spoiler)

message 36: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Well so far, and so very depressing.

8 chapters done, and I really don't feel a lot about this book. Everything is so dark and depressing, I wish we had more cheerful characters!

(view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I think after reading Deadhouse Gates everything else is going to seem like air and light to me. ;-)

I just started this so I'm only a couple of chapters in.

This Oshai dude(view spoiler)...do we know him? Was he is the first book? The name sounds familiar.

I just don't understand why they have this tradition where the sons of the Khais have to kill each other off.

The mean part of me laughs at the fact that (view spoiler)

message 38: by Miche (last edited Mar 14, 2018 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche | 2939 comments Veronica, Oshai was the "translator" for Maj during the sad trade.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Miche wrote: "Veronica, Oshai was the "translator" for Maj during the sad trade."

Ah, yes. Thanks, Miche.

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Miche wrote: "Veronica, Oshai was the "translator" for Maj during the sad trade."

Wow, really?... I missed that...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Veronica wrote: "
I just don't understand why they have this tradition where the sons of the Khais have to kill each other off. .."

I think it is based on the Ottoman Empire's fratricide practice. And according to this link, there were other cultures who practiced the same thing.
https://www.dailysabah.com/feature/20...

message 42: by Silvana (last edited Mar 15, 2018 01:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Mayim wrote: "But I liked the Otah-boy this time. He has finally manned up! [spoilers removed]"

I wish he had other reason than rescuing his ex though. Just being in his head space, I am not convinced he really loved her haha

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Veronica wrote: "I think after reading Deadhouse Gates everything else is going to seem like air and light to me. ;-)

I just started this so I'm only a couple of chapters in.

The mean part of me laughs at the fact that."

I had an identical reaction. On both counts.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Silvana wrote: "I think it is based on the Ottoman Empire's fratricide practice...."

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting that. It still seems a risky way to handle the lines of succession. If all the male contenders are killed off and the winner dies before having the chance to produce more male heirs, then power passes to another family altogether. *shrugs*

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Mayim wrote: "I had an identical reaction. On both counts."

I knew you'd be laughing too. ;-)

message 46: by Miche (last edited Mar 20, 2018 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miche | 2939 comments Veronica wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I think it is based on the Ottoman Empire's fratricide practice...."

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting that. It still seems a risky way to handle the lines of succession. If al..."

For such a "zen" culture in which every pose is so analyzed to express feelings, it does seem a very brutal way of dealing with succession.

Miche | 2939 comments Veronica wrote: "I think after reading Deadhouse Gates everything else is going to seem like air and light to me. ;-)"

So true!

"Wickans! Wickans! Wickans!" I still get goosebumps.

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Miche wrote: "Veronica, Oshai was the "translator" for Maj during the sad trade."

This was my initial question too... Thanks, Miche:) Someone has an amazing memory:):):)

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Miche wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I think after reading Deadhouse Gates everything else is going to seem like air and light to me. ;-)"

So true!

"Wickans! Wickans! Wickans!" I still get goosebumps."

Me too!!! Maybe one of the most emotional for me books ever!!!

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments Hm, the reunion in Ch 6 broke my ♥! The missed so much with the separation...

« previous 1