Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Alexis' 2018 Plan

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (last edited Apr 30, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments This will be my first time participating in the "Around the Year in 52 Books" plan! I am so excited that it is time to finally begin
compiling the list of books I plan on reading in 2018.

Around the Year in 52 Books
15/52 Completed

✔ 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Only Life I Could Save by Katherine Ketcham

✔ 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

✔ 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling

✔ 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman

✔ 5. A book about or inspired by real events
American Sniper The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle

✔ 6. A book originally written in a language other than English
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

7. A gothic novel
TBD

✔ 8. An "own voices" book*
In the Country We Love My Family Divided by Diane Guerrero

✔ 9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

11. A literary fiction
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

12. A book set in Africa or South America
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
~whichever Mitch Rapp book I am currently on at the moment~

✔ 14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

16. A narrative nonfiction
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

✔ 17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Bossypants by Tina Fey

18. A book with a location in the title
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

21. A book written in first person perspective
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

23. A medical or legal thriller
The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton

24. A book with a map
Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen

26. A book with a text only cover
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
or
Ebola How a People's Science Helped End an Epidemic (African Arguments) by Paul Richards

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

30. A short book
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) by Elie Wiesel

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

32. An alternate history book
11/22/63 by Stephen King

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link)
Fast Food Maniac From Arby's to White Castle, One Man's Supersized Obsession with America's Favorite Food by Jon Hein

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (link)
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

35. A book featuring a murder
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
The Gene An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo

✔ 38. A science book or a science fiction book
Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Mother, Can You Not? by Kate Friedman-Siegel

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

✔ 41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Abyss by Orson Scott Card

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

44. A ghost story
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
It by Stephen King

✔ 46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
White Teeth by Zadie Smith

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
Twelve Angry Men by Reginald Rose

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
Happiness The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After by Heather Harpham

50. ✔ A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Wonder by R.J. Palacio

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
The Opposite of Loneliness Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan

52. ✔ A book published in 2018
Still Me (Me Before You, #3) by Jojo Moyes

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Welcome and have fun making your list :)

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Zaz wrote: "Welcome and have fun making your list :)"

Thank you Zaz! I am excited to participate in next year's challenge! Thanks for helping get it all together :)

message 4: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments To Kill a Mockingbird and The Book Thief are among my favorites and I really enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Middlesex. Hope you enjoy them!

And Then There Were None, Turtles All the Way Down, and All the Ugly and Wonderful Things are also on my list to read next year. I'm looking forward to see what other people think!

message 5: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1348 comments There are so many good books on your list:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn , The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, To Kill a Mockingbird. All of them books that I would love to read again for the first time.

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7411 comments Mod
How are you going to wait until 2018 to read Turtles All the Way Down??? I put it on my 2017 list as soon as it was announced!

message 7: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Nice list so far !

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, Kite Runner, Middlesex, Henrietta Lacks, The Book Thief, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and 11/22/63 are all high on my list of great books.

Welcome :-)

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Ohhh how I loved kite runner, and the book their on list of all time favorites..... bossypants is good 11/22/63 is good!! Henrietta Lack!!! 👍🏼

I am planning to read all the ugly and wonderful things and stay with me in next years challenge too!!

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Emily wrote: "How are you going to wait until 2018 to read Turtles All the Way Down??? I put it on my 2017 list as soon as it was announced!"

I don't have a 2017 list, so right now I'm currently working through a bunch of books that I've bought and haven't read yet. That way I can have a fresh start in 2018 and follow my plan (or at least try too!). I do think it will be very hard to wait until next year to read Turtles All the Way Down though...

message 10: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Charity wrote: "To Kill a Mockingbird and The Book Thief are among my favorites and I really enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Middlesex. Hope you enjoy them!

And Then There ..."

I'm really looking forward to reading To Kill a Mockingbird and The Book Thief. I've heard so much about them and don't know how I haven't found the time to read them yet. I definitely have a lot of classic books that a lot of people have read that I haven't read yet. I'm hoping to find a way to incorporate many of them into my 2018 list so that I can get them read!

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Anastasia wrote: "There are so many good books on your list:A Tree Grows in Brooklyn , The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, To Kill a Mockingbird. All of them books that I wo..."

Oh yay! I am so glad to get positive, happy feedback about a lot of my book choices for 2018!

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1596 comments Welcome and watch out! It's addicting!

Some great books on your list! All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was quite a surprise book that I loved this year. It was nowhere on my radar at the beginning of the year. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Book Thief were awesome too!

message 13: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Joan wrote: "Welcome and watch out! It's addicting!

Some great books on your list! All the Ugly and Wonderful Things was quite a surprise book that I loved this year. It was nowhere on my radar..."

I've had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Book Thief sitting on my bookshelf for a couple years. They fit into the categories so I am definitely going to find the time to read them in 2018!

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments I decided to create a spreadsheet to showcase all of the books that I'm reading, as well as all of my future reading challenges! Feel free to check it out :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments I am getting SO antsy about wanting to start this challenge. I can't wait for the beginning of 2018 to start the reading!

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I’m the same! I still have 3 books to finish for this year’s challenge, but listing my options for next year just makes me want to read them now! 🙈

message 17: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) I'm also a newbie, I'm looking forward to planning my list

message 18: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Five days into January and I have completed my first book of the year! I'm hoping to use the rest of this week to get started into my next book and finish up Why Not Me? that I started at the end of 2017 :)

message 19: by Alexis (last edited Feb 05, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments January Update

Books read: 7

I started off 2018 with a bang and flew through 7 books in the 31 days. To say I am pleasantly surprised is an understatement.

From the Prompts:
The Only Life I Could Save ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Small Great Things⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay⭐️⭐️⭐️
Here on Earth⭐️⭐️⭐️
When Breath Becomes Air⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Just-Added Fun Books
Why Not Me?⭐️⭐️⭐️
Truly Madly Guilty⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Excellent start to the year! Do you feel like the challenge makes you look forward to reading more? This is my first full year of doing a goodreads challenge, too, and I find that I love having the books planned in advance so I can just pick them up from the library when I'm ready to read. I also love the planning aspect.

message 21: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments Tammy wrote: "Excellent start to the year! Do you feel like the challenge makes you look forward to reading more? This is my first full year of doing a goodreads challenge, too, and I find that I love having the..."

It definitely makes me look forward to reading more. It also has helped me prioritize reading in my life instead of just watching netflix/hulu. On my library's page, I made a list of the books that I'll need to check out (in the specific order) to make it easy for me to put them on hold when I see that they are coming up in a week!

I'm a huge planner. I keep lots of spreadsheets. Lots of to-do lists. This has been a huge help in me figuring out how to prioritize new things in my life.

message 22: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Oh wow. I didn't even know I could make a list on the library's page. I need to look into that. I, too, love my spreadsheet.

message 23: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments February update:

Books read -- 7 (!)

A second month in a row where I've read 7 books! It feels so good to accomplish reading such a large number for myself. I'm hoping to continue this pace throughout March. This month I'm going to focus on books that I currently own from this list and have been sitting on my bookshelf for many months (or years). Then April, I'm hoping to shift gears and focus on finishing many of the ARCs that I've received via NetGalley.

From the prompts:
American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History ⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
In the Country We Love: My Family Divided⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Lovely Bones⭐️⭐️⭐️
Little Fires Everywhere⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Just Fun- Added Books:
Twist of Faith⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 24: by Alexis (last edited Apr 01, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Alexis (amspivak) | 28 comments March Update:

This month I read 8 books! Most of the books this month were not a part of the prompts for this challenge, but it feels good to be on track with all of my reading. I also started a blog at the tail end of February that I have been actively using and updating with all of my reading challenges. You can check it out at www.arguablyalexis.wordpress.com

From the Prompts
Still Me by Jojo Moyes
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Bossypants by Tina Fey

Just for Fun Books
No Place to Die by Jaden Skye
The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking
Silent Victim by Caroline Mitchell
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
All Grown Up by Jami Attenberg