Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Zaz's 2018 Plan [Completed]

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zaz (last edited Dec 20, 2018 02:43PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Hello!
I'm ready for another 52 round (it'll be the 4th)! This year should have more authors of color and also more books I added to my TBR because of GR friends or Booktube. It's time to tackle some of them.

2018 AtY RC ~ 52/52 categories completed.
Stats: 24 books with POC | 9 books with LGBTQ characters
20 books by US authors | 32 books by POC or not US authors
12 Children books | 12 YA books | 28 Adult books

▷ (currently reading) ✖︎ (read) ★ (rating) # (series) ✇/☯ (Doorstop/Short) * (may change) ✾ (POC or not US author) 🐙 (kid book)

✖︎ 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title: And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer☯✾
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman - 4★- Review

✖︎ 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list: Dragons of Autumn Twilight #
Dragons of Autumn Twilight (Dragonlance Chronicles, #1) by Margaret Weis - 2★- Review

✖︎ 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards: All Systems Red
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells - 4★- Review

✖︎ 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth: The Bones of the Earth #
The Bones of the Earth (The Bones of the Earth, #1) by Scott Hale - 3.5★- Review

✖︎ 5. A book about or inspired by real events: An American Plague
An American Plague The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 by Jim Murphy - 4★- Review

✖︎ 6. A book originally written in a language other than English: The Queue☯✾ (from Egypt)
The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz - 4★- Review

✖︎ 7. A gothic novel: The Shadow of the Wind✇✾
L'Ombre du vent by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - 5★- Review

✖︎ 8. An "own voices" book: Pachinko ✇✾
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee - 4★- Review

✖︎ 9. A book with a body part in the title: Head On # - April 2018
Head On (Lock In, #2) by John Scalzi - 4★-Review

✖︎ 10. An author's debut book: Wonder✾🐙
Wonder (Wonder, #1) by R.J. Palacio - 5★-Review

✖︎ 11. A literary fiction: Interpreter of Maladies☯✾
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri - 4★- Review

✖︎ 12. A book set in Africa or South America: Akata Witch #✾🐙
Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor - 4★- Review

✖︎ 13. A book with a plot centered around a secret: The Secret Garden✾🐙
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - 3★- Review

✖︎ 14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire: Little Fires Everywhere
Little Fires Everywhere The New York Times Top Ten Bestseller by Celeste Ng - 4★- Review

✖︎ 15. A book with an unique format/writing structure: Six Stories☯✾ (podcast format)
Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski - 4★- Review

✖︎ 16. A narrative nonfiction: Hiroshima
Hiroshima by John Hersey - 3★- Review

✖︎ 17. A book you expect to make you laugh: Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians 🐙
Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1) by Brandon Sanderson - 4★- Review

✖︎ 18. A book with a location in the title: A House at the Bottom of a Lake
A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman - 5★- Review

✖︎ 19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors): Out
Out by Natsuo Kirino - 4★- Review

✖︎ 20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends: Raising Stony Mayhall
Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory - 5★- Review

✖︎ 21. A book written in first person perspective: Mongrels
Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones - 4★- Review

✖︎ 22. A book you have high expectations or hope for: Beneath the Sugar Sky #☯
Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire - 3★- Review

✖︎ 23. A medical or legal thriller: Monster✾☯
Monster by Walter Dean Myers - 4★- Review

✖︎ 24. A book with a map: Bergères Guerrières #2
La menace (Bergères Guerrières #2) by Jonathan Garnier - 5★- Review

✖︎ 25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view: Snow, Glass, Apples✾☯ [link]
Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman - 3★- Review

✖︎ 26. A book with a text only cover: UnWholly✾ #
UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman - 3★- Review

✖︎ 27. A book about surviving a hardship: Between Shades of Gray
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - 5★- Review

✖︎ 28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water: River of Teeth #☯
River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1) by Sarah Gailey - 4★

✖︎ 29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench): Wires and Nerve, Volume 1
Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer - 4★- Review

✖︎ 30. A short book: The Night Masquerade☯✾ - 2018
The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3) by Nnedi Okorafor - 3★

✖︎ 31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to: Inside Out & Back Again ☯✾🐙
Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai - 4★- Review

✖︎ 32. An alternate history book: Arabella of Mars
Arabella of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #1) by David D. Levine - 3★- Review

✖︎ 33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you: Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (my word is ET, so... aliens!)
Barsk The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1) by Lawrence M. Schoen - 4★- Review
✖︎ 34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call:
A book involving advanced technology + A book about or involving the arts: Eliza and Her Monsters
Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia - 5★- Review

✖︎ 35. A book featuring a murder: This Is Our Story
This Is Our Story by Ashley Elston - 4★- Review

✖︎ 36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before: I tripled this one, with 1 book per year :)
2016: Not Your Sidekick
Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1) by C.B. Lee - 4.5★- Review
2017: The Salt Line
The Salt Line by Holly Goddard Jones - 3★- Review
2018: We Don't Eat Our Classmates
We Don't Eat Our Classmates by Ryan T. Higgins - 5★- Review

✖︎ 37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee: Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple - 4★- Review

✖︎ 38. A science book or a science fiction book: Record of a Spaceborn Few # - 2018
Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers - 3★- Review

✖︎ 39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title: Alex, Approximately
Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett - 5★- Review

✖︎40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list: The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - 4★- Review

✖︎41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials: Magic Marks the Spot
Magic Marks the Spot (The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates, #1) by Caroline Carlson - 4.5★- Review

✖︎42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater: The Drowned World☯✾
The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard - 2★- Review

✖︎ 43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence: My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman - 5★- Review

✖︎ 44. A ghost story: The Hollow Boy ✾🐙
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud - 5★- Review

✖︎ 45. A book that (intimidates/) scares you: Sour Candy
Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke - 5★- Review

✖︎46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air: Castle in the Air ✾🐙#
Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) by Diana Wynne Jones - 4★- Review

✖︎ 47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own: Aru Shah and the End of Time✾🐙
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi - 4★- Review

✖︎ 48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins: (the difficult one) Spinning Silver (greed)
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik - 4★- Review

✖︎ 49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists: Children of Blood and Bone # (2018)
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi - 3★- Review

✖︎ 50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer): The Way You Make Me Feel
The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo - 3★- Review

✖︎ 51. An award-winning short story or short story collection: Seasons of Glass and Iron ☯✾ - [link]
The Starlit Wood New Fairy Tales by Dominik Parisien - 5★- Review to the collection (- 4★)

✖︎ 52. A book published in 2018: The Serpent's Secret
The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta - 4.5★- Review

message 2: by Zaz (last edited Dec 12, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments AtY 2018RC, children books edition: link

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈Other challenges≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Past challenges and current challenges

• 18 books released in 2018
American Panda by Gloria Chao Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi Head On (Lock In, #2) by John Scalzi Passage to Avalon (The Epic Adventures of the Techno Wizard)(Volume 1) by Mike Thayer The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett Batman Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2) by Marie Lu Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3) by Nnedi Okorafor Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers Wildcard (Warcross, #2) by Marie Lu You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta City of Islands by Kali Wallace Lies of the Beholder (Legion, #3) by Brandon Sanderson The Tangled Lands by Paolo Bacigalupi

• Science Fiction vs Fantasy Bingo 2018
Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton Where the Waters Turn Black (Yarnsworld #2) by Benedict Patrick Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi The Starlit Wood New Fairy Tales by Dominik Parisien Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1) by C.B. Lee The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1) by F.C. Yee Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1) by Connie Willis The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Barsk The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1) by Lawrence M. Schoen The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard Arabella of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #1) by David D. Levine Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland The Tangled Lands by Paolo Bacigalupi

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ TBR Series ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Series on Fictfact
Priority list:
Unhewn Throne #3 - fantasy [last]
Akata Witch #2 - kid fantasy ✾
Earthseed #2 - dystopia [last] ✾
Raven Cycle #2 - YA fantasy
The Invisible Library #4 - fantasy ✾
Kingkiller Chronicles #2 - fantasy [last]
Rebel of the Sands #3 - YA fantasy ✾ [last]
Broken Earth #2-3 - dystopia [last] ✾
The Passage #1 - dystopian horror
Renegades #1 - YA scifi
Sidekick Squad #2 - YA dystopia ✾
Alcatraz #2 - kid fantasy
Six of crows #2 - fantasy [last] ✾
City of Ember #4 - kid dystopia

Not priority:
Waverley #2 - magical realism
Red Rising #2 - dystopia
Craft Sequence #2 - fantasy
The Divine Cities #1 - fantasy
Witcher #1 - fantasy ✾
Fitz and Fool #1 - fantasy
Snow Like Ashes #1 - YA fantasy
Secrets of the Dragon Tomb #1 - kid fantasy
Warm Bodies #3 - zombies [last]
Rot & Ruin #1 - zombies
Ashfall #1 - dystopia
Jackaby #2 - paranormal mystery
Bounders #3 - kid scifi
Starflight #1 - YA scifi
Murderbot #2 - scifi
The Bones of Earth #2 - dystopia
The Land of Stories #3 - kid fantasy
Lockwood & co #4 - YA fantasy ✾
Mistborn #5 - fantasy
Percy Jackson #3 - kid fantasy
Unwind #3 - YA dystopia ✾
Aru #2 - Kid fantasy ✾
Howl's #3 - YA fantasy ✾

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈Other goals≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
• Read at least 100 novels [Count]
• Finish at least 5 series [8/5]
• Read at least 20 sequels [24/20]
• Don't add more than 50 adult novels in my TBR [Count] (removed if read this year) TBR started at: 608)
• Read less than 50 adult novels by US authors (not counting POC authors)

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Dang! I have some serious list envy. A lot of great books! I can't wait to hear what you think of Head On. I've been eager to read it since I finished Locked In.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments Great list, Zaz! Record of a Spaceborn Few and the The Essex Serpent are on my list too. I loved A Man Called Ove but gave up on My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry after 2 chapters. I hope you'll like it better than I did.

message 5: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Manda > I'm also looking forward to it, I even think to re-read Lock In before the new one :)

Anna > I heard mixed things about My Grandmother so I'm aware it could be a tedious read. I hope I'll enjoy it enough to finish it, if not I'll switch with Britt-Marie Was Here!

message 6: by Mai (new)

Mai | 98 comments wow! great list Zaz

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Nice list! I have Stray on my tbr as well, so this is a great reminder to try to fit it into my list. The Way You Make Me Feel looks cute from reading the blurb, and so far I had no idea what to have for number 50.

message 8: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Stray is a series well rated by one of my GR friends. I'm curious about it but it's not a top priority for the moment.
The author of The Way published a cute book this year (I believe in a thing called love) and I enjoyed it, so I'm eagger to try her next release :)

message 9: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Zaz,

Some ideas for Seven Deadly Sins:
GreedA Christmas Carol
Wrath:The Grapes of Wrath
Sloth:A Little Book of Sloth
Lust:Lust Killer
Envy:Envy
Gluttony:The Man Who Ate Everything
( Maybe out of your comfort zone, but thats how my search turned out today)

Books on your list that I either loved or enjoyed: Interpreter of Maladies, The Secret Garden, Hiroshima, The Color Purple, and The Handmaids Tale.

enjoy your challenge :-)

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments You have some great book. I especially liked The Color Purple and Hiroshima.

I'm really intrigued by the book you have for #38. I see it's part of a series. I think I'll be checking it out.

message 11: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Tracy > thanks for the ideas! I haven't read A Christmas Carol yet, so I'll add this one as a possibility. I'm checking all the plans for this category but the books aren't really appealing for the moment.

Angie > the author is great, I prefer low scifi and her series is social low scifi, so I enjoy it a lot. Plus, she writes a wide alien diversity, with well developed and interesting cultures.

message 12: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Shanna :)
Good luck with keeping your TBR nicely sized. I set a max number of books I can add to my TBR, it worked nicely in 2017 so I'll try it again in 2018 (it's a little hard to resist, but at least I read more books than what I add).

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel | 162 comments Great list of selections! We've got some books in common (Essex Serpent, Interpreter of Maladies, Out) but mostly in different categories; it's wonderful seeing how flexible some of these categories are where one book can fit multiple options.

Seeing The Secret Garden on your list excited me, because it's one of my favorite childhood books and after rereading it this year, I was surprised at how wonderfully it held up over time. I hope you enjoy it. :)

message 14: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I never read The Secret Garden but I read A Little Princess and Little Lord Fauntleroy (same author) in my late teens. I enjoyed both but I'm not sure my tastes are the same now. I'm curious to see if I'll like this one.

I'm a little worried by Essex Serpent (it seems it's slow paced) but I should be fine with the other 2. We'll see :)

message 15: by MJ (new)

MJ | 666 comments You have Beartown down for at least 3 categories! :) I think it is one of the only books that overlap in our TBRs. A Wise Man's Fear was on my list for this year, and I am NOT going to get to it. As yet, I have not fit it into 2018's list. I can see where it sits on the shelf opposite me in my room, and it is taunting me!

I love your priorities - Something from Discworld is on my as well as the Percy Jackson books.

and I LOVE that one of your goals is to not add more than 50 books to your tbr in 2018. I started an around the world challenge of reading to get myself to diversify my reading some more. My foreign reading tends to gravitate toward Russian authors and little else!

message 16: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennabgemini) Wow... I'm a little starstruck by your plan layout! Just had to fan myself a little haha

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2200 comments Nice list. I have Pachinko, Interpreter of Maladies and The Essex Serpent as possibilities for 2018. Enjoy The Handmaid's Tale--so good!

message 18: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments MJ > A Man Called Ove was one of my favorite reads of 2017 so I want to read some Backman next year. Beartown has good reviews, so I'll read it for sure (and will try at least one older one).
The limitation for increasing my TBR worked nicely in 2017, I didn't note the number but I think I'm more or less at the same point, which is good enough for me. It's hard but necessary :p

Jenna > haha I like doing my plans, they're so nice to look at :D

Kathy > I hope we'll enjoy them. I think they are a bit out of my comfort zone (I'm not an adult fiction reader), but I like having some more serious reads during the year. The Handmaid's Tale frightens me a little as I'd problems with Oryx and Crake! Luckily, I'll enjoy this one more.

message 19: by MJ (last edited Dec 09, 2017 06:41AM) (new)

MJ | 666 comments The only Backman I've read is Britt-Marie Was Here and it was also one of my favourite reads of 2017. I liked it enough that I considered buying it so that I could have it on hand to read again... and that's saying something because I'm trying super hard not to buy books anymore!

There are a whole lot of classics that I want to read buy aren't on my tbr; they're sitting on my desktop in an Excel spreadsheet. So, my tbr does not reflect reality. Plus, there are books that go directly on to my challenge page for prompts that don't appear on my tbr either.
Sigh.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I really loved The Handmaid's Tale, but hated Oryx and Crake, so you should be alright ;)

message 21: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments It's funny to see how much everyone is reading because I'm totally reading outside the challenge for the moment. As I read several books per week, I'm sure I'll catch up later (plus some short books scheduled for the 1st month).

I made an outstanding discovery: the book from 2016, 2017 or 2018 needs to be... by a new author. I totally forgot it while doing my plan. Plenty of stuff removed because of this.

message 22: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Same here! I read four books last week but only one for the challenge, which made me feel oddly behind, even though I know I’m not.

message 23: by July (new)

July C. B (julycb) The Shadow of the Wind it's one of my favourite books of all time, so I really hope that you like it. I'm actually planning on re-reading it this year, but not for the challenge.

Good luck!

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Jan 08, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

I third the "reading outside the challenge" movement. As much as I promised I was putting ATY as a priority, the books I had out to read didn't fit the plan, so I've actually completed several for Pop Sugar and one for Book Riot. Just started on my first book for ATY and its good. Disturbing, but so good....I have A LOT of true crime on my lists this year.

Progress on the children's ATY version is amazing though :-)

message 25: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's reading books that doesn't fit the challenge :-) But as you, Zaz, I read more than one book a week most weeks, so I'll probably be able to catch up if I should fall behind at some point.

message 26: by Brooke (last edited Jan 09, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

Brooke | 223 comments I'm doing both AtY and Popsugar, and I didn't plan out either. I figured with 104 prompts between the 2 challenges, I should be able to match a book with a prompt for at least 2-3 months. After that I will plan. However, what I am deciding between 2 titles to start, I choose based on which challenge it fits. I am trying (somewhat successfully so far) to keep things even between the challenges and read at least 1 book per challenge each week.

So...I guess the point of that longwinded explanation is that I am not reading all AtY prompt books either. And I am okay with that, for now. :-)

message 27: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Yey, one of my side reads had a comma in the title in fact. So, one less prompt to read and I loved the book and read it pretty fast, which is nice and a bit surprising as it's a YA romance :)
Hope everyone has fun, even if the books aren't for AtY ;)

Tracy > yes, the kid edition is pretty easy to fill quickly and I'm enjoying it so far!

message 28: by Zaz (last edited Dec 21, 2018 04:02AM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Challenge finished, as well as the children books edition and the read 18 in 2018. I'm still working on the Science Fiction vs Fantasy Bingo 2018 (3 books left).

If the children edition of AtY was quite fun, this one gave me more trouble. I DNFed several books that I couldn't enter in and picked some books just because I thought there were easy reads and filled the categories. I didn't remove many books, but clearly kicked several out because I didn't have the time to read them. I think it'll be nice to not do a full challenge next year (even if I end doing the full list because books fit...).

I usually pick a list of favorites from my challenge, but the list would be very short (very few fav this year) so I decided to change the format and pick my best reads for various categories:

Best fictions:
Wonder
Between Shades of Gray
Alex, Approximately
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
Honorable mention for Eliza and Her Monsters.
Wonder (Wonder, #1) by R.J. Palacio Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia .

Best fantasy novels:
The Hollow Boy
Honorable mentions for The Serpent's Secret and The Shadow of the Wind (which is magical realism, not fantasy).
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co., #3) by Jonathan Stroud The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1) by Sayantani DasGupta The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Best horror novels:
A House at the Bottom of a Lake
Sour Candy
A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke

Best scifi/dystopian novels:
All Systems Red
Raising Stony Mayhall
Honorable mention for The Queue.
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz

The Epic Fail:
The Drowned World
The Drowned World by J.G. Ballard

The most difficult prompt to fill:
It's between A medical or legal thriller (I read many medical thrillers several years ago and they aren't appealing currently, and for legal, it's not my cup of tea) and A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (I was relieved when I saw that Spinning Silver worked for the prompt).

---
I did well for my goals with few new additions to my TBR (not counting sequels and children books), many sequels tackled and some series finished. I'll up the numbers next year but will keep these goals.

I'll end the year with around 54 books by US white authors (25 of them are children books). I've some books to finish but I should be around 125 books, so it's near 44% novels by US-WA. To compare, last year, I finished with 147 novels and 48% of them were by US-WA. So a little decrease, which is nice and I reached my goal for less than 50 YA-adult novels by this couple of authors-country. I'll probably do this stat next year by curiosity, but not as a goal as I'll be focused on series and I probably have tones of sequels from US series.

I hope you'll all have a fun end of the year :)

message 29: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Congratulations Zaz!!!!!!!

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Congrats!

I also focused on series this year and if feels very good to finish those off! I’m going for other goals next year but want to keep a balance by trying to not start more new series than what I finish. We’ll see if it works 🤞🏻

message 31: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Thanks Tracy, I hope you'll have time to finish yours as you seem to be near the end :)

Sophie > Thanks. Since last year, I'm paying more attention to the series I'm reading and it's not a bad thing, especially when I decided to stop a series if the 1st book didn't interest me enough (maybe it's not for the best because some of my fav series have average first books...). This month, I'd a look at my TBR dedicated to series, I've 78 series in it that aren't finished by the authors (that I started or not), so they probably won't be my first choices next year! The worsts are the neverending series, I just have to hope that at some point I'll totally lose interest (like for tv shows), so I can actually finish them :D

message 32: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Concentrating on series that are already finished is a great way of prioritising, I definitely need to look into it!

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments Congratulations, Zaz!