Green Group discussion

The Green Group Community > How do you stay positive?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Follansbee (joe_follansbee) | 21 comments As an American, I'm embarrassed and dismayed by our current national government's environmental policy (and just about everything else it does). We have more than three years to go before a change at the top. How do you stay positive about the future, that things will get better, at least in governance? Or do you feel ready to give up, find a cave, and withdraw from the world?

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1582 comments Mod
In studying philosophy, I came up with the idea of "as if." So I live "as if" the planet had a future, and I am involved in the fight to make sure it happens. No point in going to a cave.

message 3: by Clare (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:54AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 6197 comments Mod
J.G., I know the present and future look bleak in many ways. Please help us convince others that it is worth fighting for improvement.
I have a thread running here called Good news for a change! and I try to keep posting as many good news stories there as depressing ones elsewhere.
A very great deal of ingenuity, time, money and expertise is being poured into positive solutions and projects.
This is what I look at to convince myself to stay happy and healthy.
Good news stories always welcome.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Brian (last edited Oct 19, 2017 02:29PM) (new)

Brian Burt | 426 comments Mod
I, too, find reasons to be cautiously optimistic despite the flood of dismaying news articles. I regularly post encouraging topics on my Goodreads blog with the hash tag "#CauseForOptimism." There are still flashes of sunshine burning through the clouds. Don't lose hope!!!

message 5: by Clare (new)

Watch this stunning film showing some of the world's gorgeous scenery, visited in a novel way, and tell me you don't feel better!

https://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-guy-i...

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 96 comments As a fictional character of mine said, "don't just stand there, do something." A friend, Greg Norris, has an expression: handprint, meaning the actions you take to cut carbon emissions. This is in contrast to "footprint" passive stepping on creation.
I also like the concept by Solitaire Townsend(member of this group) in her latest The Happy Hero : doing good makes one happy.

message 7: by Clare (new)

Calvin Coolidge: "We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once."

message 8: by Clare (new)

A fellow student who is researching for a degree in psychology has a small survey on Google forms. This is about how you react to the environment and how you feel towards climate change. (Not what you are doing with regard to the issue.)
Please give her five minutes of your time.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

message 9: by Clare (new)

A relevant article regarding the loss of biodiversity and habitat.

https://www.theguardian.com/environme...
Has hope become the most endangered species in conservation? A committed journalist tells us why he has to hope.

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 2034 comments Positive or negative, the situation has progressed to the point where people are being forced to respond to the changing weather, the first step in changing denial to acknowledgment. The time for debating has ended. No more talk about what might happen 50 or 100 years from now. It is not our grandchildren, it is the current generations who feeling the effects today.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Here is an excellent article from Gizmodo with lots of links to help you research further or just find a site you might enjoy reading.
The author Leigh Anderson says she started cycling more, and that got her into a lot of new social media chats which started to feed her new information and greener ways of thinking.
She advises persistently contacting representatives; and asking banks about what they do with your money.
While her links apply to America, there is some good detail and a positive attitude to solving the issues.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-demand-...

message 12: by RbbieFrah (new)

RbbieFrah | 19 comments MY Dears ,

All are beings of love trapped in a world of ego .
A super hero sets others free.
Ego is our prison .Love is our freedom .
Love is the greatest super power of all
Love conquers all
Love is our strength

We Will become Superheroes
Our SUPER POWER will be LOVE.
This world -- full of ego
WE ---full of LOVE

Our superpower of Love
flows from within our own being
and we shall drive out ego from ourselves with pure love
love is our treasure within but ego keeps us from it

by association with a living human who has become pure love
and meditation as taught by said living human

any human can become a living fountain of love
any human can extinguish the soul destroying flames of ego anger
with gushing out pourings of love
heroically saving the day.

Never Doubt !!!
WE WILL BE SUPER HEROS !!!
Love will be our super power
Love will transform us into beings of pure love
Love will be our super power
Love will over come all ego

With our super power we shall
Transform enemies to friends
War to peace
Blood shed to healing
Destruction to construction
Misunderstanding to understanding
Enemies to friends
Imperfection to perfection
Loneliness to happiness
Separateness to unity
Time to eternity
Boundaries to limitlessness
Imprisonment to freedom

KNOW FOR SURE !!!
WE shall be transformed into pure , perfect , complete , limitless oceans of love
And shall play the part of super heroes in the drama of life
Our life is a journey
a JOURNEY of TRANSFORMATION ,
FROM EGO
TO LOVE

AS we travel this journey
we radiate currents of love into this strife torn ego world
we are on a journey of transformation
AS we remind each other to radiate love back our source -
(the ocean of PURE PERFECT LOVE )

As our soul’s love flows through our ego hardened mind
we shall cut a channel through this vast field of mind
we shall erode that channel of love through all the ego-anger thoughts
and flow through said channel of love
back into our ocean of love
we shall become limitless love in a world of ego
superheros in this earthly drama of ego vs love
superheros whose power is super love
ordinary egoists transformed to superheroes by love
Light bulbs of love in a dark world of ego
Illuming all hearts
with the light of love so they can see the way home

So Dear
if u want to take a happy journey of transformation.
I invite you to a come along with me .
description

🙏
Robbie

message 13: by Clare (new)

Lovely poetry and a mesmerising gif. Thanks!

message 14: by Clare (new)

Some people are preparing for an uncertain and unhappy future. I found a very interesting article about preppers in Australia (which is related to American preppers). We all need to have some tools and basic supplies, enough in case there's a power cut or snowfall. But a stockpile of useful skills is actually the most important item.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-1...

" As millennial prepper Daniel Spikowski, 26, told her, hoarding alone won't keep you safe when society falls apart. "If you have a stockpile of things, then you'll become a target for those things," he said.
"If you have a stockpile of skills, you'll be the person that people work to keep alive." "

message 15: by Ned (new)

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments All we can do is prevent civilization from failing. I stay positive by speaking to students, adults, and businesses - many of which are doing a lot to support efforts to reduce GH gases. We all can do a lot more. I try to make that point in The Big Melt available on Amazon. I leave my readers and my audiences with hope and an Action Plan. Ned Tillman. #SavingThePlaces

message 16: by Clare (new)

My author blog on Goodreads this month covers the Royal Dublin Society Farm and Forestry Awards.
The message is for sustainable and better quality farming, with sustainable and more biodiverse forestry.

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 17: by Clare (last edited Aug 28, 2019 05:52AM) (new)

I've just spent a week and a half helping to staff Worldcon, the World Science Fiction Convention. This was held in Dublin for the first time and all hands were needed. My husband also attended and gave me great assistance.
The atmosphere of excitement, friendship, teamwork and optimism became an absolute credit to the main event organisers. I don't know when I've enjoyed myself more.

When you feel you have drawn the last drops of optimism and faith from the well, I recommend getting involved in some similar activity. This replenishes not just the bucket but the well. The awesome accomplishment of a team - quite often composed of strangers - shows the power of what humans can also achieve to protect nature.

message 18: by Lonny (new)

Lonny Grafman (lonnyg) | 2 comments Short answer:
Work with engaged people to create better ways, every day.

Longer answer:
This question has been critical in my life. For 30 years, I have been working on these issues, but at first, I attacked the problems of the world in a more destructive way. Quickly, I realized that it wasn't helping much, and it was only increasing my anger.

I switched to creating things instead and have found that if I work with engaged people to fix the problems around us every day, I stay positive and avoid burnout. I have found that personally the change doesn't even need to be drastic, it is more the act of actively addressing the issues that helps me.

message 19: by Clare (new)

Great answer, Lonny.
Keep up the good work.

message 20: by Lonny (new)

Lonny Grafman (lonnyg) | 2 comments Thanks, you too!!

message 21: by Treesong (new)

Treesong Treesong | 15 comments One of the great challenges I see in climate communication is how to convey the severity of the situation while also conveying a sense that we can still do something about it. Both aspects of the climate crisis are very true. It's very serious and in some ways irreversible -- but there are also so many amazing and effective things we can still do to make the present and future better than they would be if we did nothing.

It's not necessarily about whether or not we feel "hopeful" on a given day. Hope is a feeling that comes and goes. We sometimes have hope and we sometimes lose it. If we only act when we feel hopeful, we're not going to get much done in the face of a problem this immense and unsettling.

Really, it's more about continuing to find meaningful ways that we can make a difference for the better. Whether that's on a personal level or a step toward something systemic, like participating in a march, sending letters to support some sort of legislation, getting big institutions to "go green," etc. Every little bit helps. And if enough of us adopt that attitude (and practice), we'll still avert the worst of the climate crisis. Not all of it, perhaps, but the worst of it, by working together.

message 22: by Clare (last edited Oct 31, 2019 02:56AM) (new)

Thank you Treesong. While reading books by people like KSR help us to grasp the enormity of the problem, and he's not short of ideas, we also start to feel the creep of imminent doom. Can be hard to get out of bed if you don't think you'll make a difference. (Not for me. I've got cats who get me out of bed.)

Kim Stanley Robinson in case not everyone knows him.

message 23: by Clare (new)

The ever optimistic Natural History Museum in London shares 15 photos of incredible nature.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/fiftee...

message 24: by Clare (new)

I've joined my college's Sustainability Society and we are part of the Pan-colleges Green Campus movement, in which staff and students in each college across Ireland work to build a more sustainable campus culture.

I'm now also editing the Sustainable Campus blog, which I will link to later when we have more content.

As people can't get together right now due to lockdowns, we are coming up with ideas for participation that are within the rules. I suggested getting started with a photography contest about nature, and this drew entries from all around the college, some spectacular photos. That'll be a blog post.

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian Burt | 426 comments Mod
Clare wrote: "I've joined my college's Sustainability Society and we are part of the Pan-colleges Green Campus movement, in which staff and students in each college across Ireland work to build a more sustainabl..."

That is awesome, Clare. Keep us posted!

message 26: by Clare (new)

Here is our Sustainability Society for students in Dublin Business School. We are part of a spreading Green Campus movement across Ireland.
The Green Campus of each third level institution comprises staff, lecturing staff and students.
This year we have been raising awareness and we are just about to implement a suggestion I made, that search engine Ecosia, which plants trees, should be the default search engine in the college.
Next week is Green Week and even though Ireland is in lockdown, we are holding plenty of talks and contests to engage everyone.
Here is the blog, and I will be adding more content this weekend.

https://sustainablecollege.wordpress....

message 27: by Clare (new)

Great news that the US is back in the Paris Agreement.

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-en...

message 28: by Clare (new)

A great positive story, preserving a redwood forest.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...

"“Grandmother’s philosophy was, ‘Why go sit in a 100-year-old church when I could talk to a 2,500-year-old tree?’ ” he said.

Kate and her husband, John Ward Mailliard Jr., began buying the ranch in 1925, ultimately amassing a property with 69 potential legal lots that could be sold to developers.

Mailliard Ranch is a “stronghold for biodiversity,” the league said, inhabited by endangered owls and turtles as well as bats, golden eagles and more than 150 native plant species.

The easements also cover the Garcia and Navarro river headwaters, 28 miles of salmon-bearing streams and nearly 1,000 acres of old-growth and mature second-growth redwood forests.

Along with several adjacent properties, the network of preserves in the region now spans 82,000 acres stretching from Anderson Valley toward the Mendocino Coast.

Those lands include Mailliard Redwoods State Natural Reserve, donated by the family to the league for inclusion in the state parks system in 1954, and the nearly 24,000-acre Garcia River Forest managed by The Conservation Fund for sustainable timber production and carbon sequestration.

Randy Moore, a regional forester with the U.S. Forest Service, said in the statement the Mailliard Ranch project covered the largest nonindustrial, privately owned redwood forest in the nation.

Nearly a decade in the works, the project nearly doubles the amount of land the league has preserved in Mendocino County, bringing it to 34,000 acres."

message 29: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 33 comments Clare wrote: "Great news that the US is back in the Paris Agreement."

Yes, that is great news. Biden seems to understand what is at stake better than his predecessor to say the least.

message 30: by Ned (new)

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments most of us stayed IN over the past 4 years and made a lot of progress. Hopefully that will accelerate now with Biden.

message 31: by Ned (new)

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments I have kept my sanity over the last year of Pandemic and the last 4 years of fascism by writing books and presenting motivational talks. Hopefully they will help turn the tide.