Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Plan for 2018

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Dead Until Dark has a murder, if you want to slot it in.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Chinook wrote: "Dead Until Dark has a murder, if you want to slot it in."

That would be a good idea. It is one of those series that every year I plan on rereading the first books and finishing the series. So, I will have to see if I actually follow through and read the series this year.

message 3: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I need to do the same. I can’t recall offhand which one I even got to. I was thinking of listening to the audio for the rereads this time.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments I loved Britt-Marie Was Here Huge fan of all of Backman's books really!!! And really enjoyed Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood Hope you enjoy them as well!!

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Kelly,

I'm hoping that Britt-Marie Was Here is good. I loved A Man Called Ove but was disappointed with My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry. It seems everyone who has read this one Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood has really liked it.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments If you didn't like the grandma one... this one similar in tone although brittmarie is more of quirky character. But if you want something different but a fantastic story and very well written highly recommend Beartown by Backman it's so good!!!

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I'm working on the last few of the Sookie Stackhouse books too. I just found that they went so far downhill in the later ones that I have very little enthusiasm to finish them off. They aren't even a guilty pleasure any more ... but I will finish them!

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Jody- Yep, that is why I have yet to finish the series. I don’t have high expectations but at the same time I’d like to be able to have the series completed.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments I've been thinking about doing Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood. I love Trevor Noah.

message 10: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Born a Crime is great! If you like audiobooks, I highly recommend listening to this one. Trevor Noah reads it, and says a lot of words in his native language. I know for me, had I read the book I wouldn’t have grasped the proper pronunciation of the words, but hearing him say them was helpful. The book is also super funny. He had me laugh-crying at times, and nearly crying at some of the serious moments.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 982 comments Jillian wrote: "Kelly,

I'm hoping that Britt-Marie Was Here is good. I loved A Man Called Ove but was disappointed with [book:My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

I loved Ove too, but stopped reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry after 2 chapters. I chose Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood for the own voices prompt, I'm glad so many people liked it.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments I’ve just added Born a Crime to my TBR - thanks girls!

message 13: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments For some reason Born A Crime as an audiobook isn’t available on Overdrive. I wonder why not?

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments I didn't know of the Rain Wild Chronicles Series but I saw the word dragon, and now the first book is on my tbr. :P

message 15: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Sara wrote: "I didn't know of the Rain Wild Chronicles Series but I saw the word dragon, and now the first book is on my tbr. :P"

You might want to read some of Robin Hobb's earlier trilogies first. Farseer Trilogy, Liveship Traders Trilogy, & Tawny Man Trilogy. All these come before Rain Wild Chronicles Series. So while Hobb writes them as independent series, they are also part of a larger collective series, Realms of the Elderlings and the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th books in the series.

Hobb is one of my favorite authors.

message 16: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Right? And it’s not just that my libraries don’t have it, they don’t even have the audio in the database for me to recommend it.

message 17: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments Overdrive depends on what your specific library orders. If they do not order that book it is not available :( You could ask from them to prefer it.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Jillian wrote: "Sara wrote: "I didn't know of the Rain Wild Chronicles Series but I saw the word dragon, and now the first book is on my tbr. :P"

You might want to read some of Robin Hobb's earlier..."

Oh, alright, thank you, I'll look into those series! :]

message 19: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Anastasia - yes, I realize that. But at two of my libraries you can search all of Overdrive’s options and click recommend on a title you want the library to consider purchasing. There is no audio option in the Overdrive database for me to recommend. It’s as if Audible has it as an exclusive audiobook.

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments Nice one, Jillian! I'm reading in order too, as an extra level of challenge for this year.