Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Authors on cover vs in database

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:25AM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments By cleaning up doubled series I came across two 1 book Dirty Bertie series and non-combined books in it.
As trying to sort that out I saw there is David(3space) Roberts listed first on the cover - but most books are with Alan MacDonald as primary in the database. some even with only Alan as author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Is there a reason for that? Just going by alphabet instead of on cover? Or is text in general more important than the illustrations?
And should it be corrected to Roberts as primary or just left alone?

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Not knowing the series...

Text usually precedes illustrators.
Alphabetical is acceptable when there's no clear author listing (e.g. none listed on any covers and no editor(s))

message 3: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:41AM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments Emy wrote: "Not knowing the series...

Text usually precedes illustrators.
Alphabetical is acceptable when there's no clear author listing (e.g. none listed on any covers and no editor(s))"

even if they are the other way on the cover and it's a children's book with most likely (don't know the series, just assumption as reviews speak of few sentences good for young kids) more illustrations than text? (my first thought was "text first" but got insecure because of children's book..)

But ok, having Alan in front means less work ;)

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Go with the less work for now then! ;)

We can always revisit things and alter author orders at a later date if we make a more firm policy on this...

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments The books/profiles are messy enough so less work is fine ;)