UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Blog Roll > Womagwriter blog

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments https://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk

This blog mainly is for anyone interested in writing for women's magazines, but readers are very welcome too.

It gives all the submission guidelines, plus advice, news, interviews and guest posts from people connected with womags (including editors).

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments Useful.
Writing for magazines is good training, you get regularly edited and even paid :-)

message 3: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments Yes, and compared with writing books, results are much quicker. Completion of the piece, acceptance or rejection, payment and publication can happen within weeks - although a few months is more typical.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments and frankly I always reckoned they paid better than books on a word count basis as well :-(

message 5: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments I agree. Maybe not for bestsellers, but for the majority of books I think it's quite a lot more per word (though magazine rates do vary quite a lot).

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments At £200 per thousand words (which isn't a high freelance rate, or wasn't until the internet tanked the market) a 70,000 word novel would fetch in £14,000
I could live quite comfortably on writing two novels a year at that rate!

message 7: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments There's no marketing to worry about either.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments Patsy wrote: "There's no marketing to worry about either."

although there are times you have to come over pretty muscular to collect the money :-(

message 9: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments New requirements for PF pocket novels - https://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/20...

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Chapman (catherineechapman) | 140 comments Patsy wrote: "New requirements for PF pocket novels - https://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/20..."

Many thanks for this info., Patsy!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) This looks interesting - I've often thought of writing short stories for mags - but unfortunately, that's as far as it's got - the thinking stage!!! Maybe if I put my mind to it - I could put some thoughts into action...... especially if there's money involved!! How good have you got to be?

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments T4bsF (Call me Flo) wrote: "This looks interesting - I've often thought of writing short stories for mags - but unfortunately, that's as far as it's got - the thinking stage!!! Maybe if I put my mind to it - I could put some ..."

Somebody once said that it's a tough market. But somebody new can have stories in them which are different (still within genre) and get them published

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) ......now where's that bomb that I can put in that well known place??

message 14: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Collins | 180 comments It is quite a tough market - but aren't they all? The editors seem to like stories which are different (but not so different they don't appeal to regular readers) so someone knew to writing these stories may have a slight edge over someone who has been writing them for a very long time.

I currently have a poll about whether people use their local libraries. I'd appreciate it if you could spare a minute to vote.

https://womagwriter.blogspot.co.uk/20...

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments I voted. Ironically I've got a library book I'm reading at the moment Strathclyde and the Anglo-Saxons in the Viking Age

The reason I've got it is that I had to collect my daughter from town and we met in the library as she was changing her books. I noticed this one and got it out on her ticket as mine is massively out of date
My problem is that merely getting to the library is a faff, living in a rural area. When I get there the choice of books isn't what I'd hope for, I've got a better ancient history section than they have.