Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > What makes a good book blurb?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 5 comments What makes a book blurb good enough to get you to open the cover and read more? Goodreads is hosting a poll during Oct with 3 blurbs for the thriller Eavesdrop. Which is your favourite and why?

Goodreads poll

message 2: by Ann (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Ian: In my opinion if three catalysts (wife, job, conspiracy) are the hook for the book to be told in a single statement then the simpler the better. Flesh out what the wife's sickness is, and the lost job was, and what group the main character is up against later -- and if revealed in the blurb only in a second or third paragraph and only if revealed early in the book.
Blurb details should go lightly. The reader should really be tempted to find those details out in the book and not necessarily all at once.

message 3: by Angel (new)

Angel | 2 comments Short and to the point would add an air of mystery which would pique my interest more than a lengthy or book report length blurb that tells too much.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Ian: Of the three blurbs in your poll i voted for the first one, and hope subsequent views don't randomize the presentation order.

The reason I selected that one was the mention of the wife which humanized the main character. Other readers would likely find any of the three interesting enough to read more of the blurb.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Angel: exactly! And your response demonstrates that even better than mine! ;) :)

Angel wrote: "Short and to the point would add an air of mystery which would pique my interest more than a lengthy or book report length blurb that tells too much."

message 6: by Angel (new)

Angel | 2 comments Ann wrote: "Angel: exactly! And your response demonstrates that even better than mine! ;) :)

Angel wrote: "Short and to the point would add an air of mystery which would pique my interest more than a lengthy ..."

:)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 5 comments Ann wrote: "Ian: In my opinion if three catalysts (wife, job, conspiracy) are the hook for the book to be told in a single statement then the simpler the better. Flesh out what the wife's sickness is, and the ..."

Good points. Thanks Ann.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 5 comments Ann wrote: "Ian: Of the three blurbs in your poll i voted for the first one, and hope subsequent views don't randomize the presentation order.

The reason I selected that one was the mention of the wife which..."

Yes, I think the humanization is what draws more people in (but doesn't work for everyone). Your comments seem to reflect the majority.