Polls for Our Souls discussion

I Need Recommendations > A good stand alone

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TraceyK (new)

TraceyK (traceykrogers21) | 8 comments Looking for a good stand alone like "All the ugly and wonderful things" and "The Dry" or even "Gone Girl". I'm a thrill seeker, but mostly political thrillers. Not a big fan of fantasy or sci-fi.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 25 comments I Am Princess X is a YA mystery.

Inherent Vice is missing persons mystery/PI/thriller.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 58 comments One of us is lying - Karen McManus

message 5: by Mahra (new)

Mahra (passionist) | 13 comments 1.Remember Me?

2. A Little Something Different

3.How to Keep Rolling After a Fall

those are the kinds of stand alones i love to read between books, refreshing and sweet <3

message 6: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) megan abbott has a lot of stand alones very similar to gone girl

message 7: by ellie (new)

ellie (hugvvarts) | 44 comments The female of the species is like a YA thriller. SO good. seriously. The first sentence is “this is how I kill a man”.

message 8: by Auntie Terror (new)

Auntie Terror (auntie_terror) | 41 comments The screaming of the innocent, by Unity Dow.
Red Ink, by Angela Makholwa.
The Blackest Bird, by Joel Rose.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 25 comments Mystic River is a murder mystery.

We Disappear is a missing persons mystery/family drama.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 25 comments ellie wrote: "The female of the species is like a YA thriller. SO good. seriously. The first sentence is “this is how I kill a man”."

I recommend this one, too.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex | 27 comments No Man's Land by Simon Tolkien

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine  | 0 comments The night circus - twas amazing

message 13: by Cindy ✩☽♔ (new)

Cindy ✩☽♔ | 24 comments The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 24 comments If you like mysteries, I'd suggest And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Its a standalone.

message 15: by Anja H. (new)

Anja H. | 6 comments I loved Gone Girl as well and was recently blow away by Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas!

message 16: by TraceyK (new)

TraceyK (traceykrogers21) | 8 comments Thanks all you guys! I will be looking up all of these !
:)

message 17: by ~Bellegirl91~ (new)

~Bellegirl91~ (bellegirl91) I know the title might sound weird or cheesy BUT it ended up being such a fun read and quick. It's called First Love by James Patterson. Plus the main guy of the couple is fetching adorable and wish he was real like every other male character 😅 but it's worth it.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments Technically this does have a second book to it but it could be read as a stand alone and it's really good! A Certain Slant of Light

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinfwong) | 89 comments Magicalamity - this isn't really ya, more like a children's book, but I remember reading it and being blown away by the movie playing in my head as I read it

message 20: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (alexabc) | 0 comments Shadows on the Moon 🌙 :)

message 21: by Bailey (new)

Bailey Eilers The Help is incredible

message 22: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 427 comments Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "Technically this does have a second book to it but it could be read as a stand alone and it's really good! A Certain Slant of Light"

SO good.

message 23: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 427 comments Have you ever read the mysteries of Tana French? Technically they all have a connection to one another (they are all set in Dublin, Ireland, and are about various members of the police force there), but the connections are faint and tangential, and you could read any one of them without having read the others and never miss them. She's a lyrical, descriptive writer, so you have to like that (i.e., they're not fast-paced); but the mysteries are amazing.

Try I Love You More, by Jennifer Murphy. Demolition Angel, or The Two-Minute Rule, by Robert Crais.

message 24: by Wadi (new)

Wadi Hisham | 1 comments The Shadow of the Wind. Although there are other books in the series (Cemetery of Forgotten Books), each book stands as a separate story that can be read without reading any of the other books. And Shadow of The Wind is the first and best in the series.

message 25: by Irfken (new)

Irfken | 40 comments Hisham wrote: "The Shadow of the Wind. Although there are other books in the series (Cemetery of Forgotten Books), each book stands as a separate story that can be read without reading any of the othe..."

The Shadow of the Wind sounds amazing. I own a copy and have been putting off reading it for a while. I'll definitely be reading it in the coming months.

My suggestion for this thread would be Can You Keep a Secret?. It's laugh-out-loud hilarious, madcap and absolutely swoon-worthy. It's just a fun light book that you can read anytime.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments Melliott wrote: "Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "Technically this does have a second book to it but it could be read as a stand alone and it's really good! [book:A..."

It really is. Have you read it??