Baker Street Irregulars: The Game's Afoot--time to solve the mystery of the next great read discussion

Movies & Videos of interest > Murder on the Orient Express movie

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 21 comments Mod
On November 10 the newest movie version of this great Agatha Christie mystery hits the big screens. If any of you are like me (major AC fan girl) you'll be camping at the theatre waiting for it to open. And before you ask--yes, I have seen all of the "modern" (i.e. anything made after 1970) versions of this book, TV miniseries, movie, made-for-tv-movie, whatever. I've seen them all.

So, who else is going to be camping out waiting for this to hit the screens?

message 2: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 3 comments Mod
Am I driving to your house next month? LOL

Because YES. Just YES! This movie cast looks freaking amazing! I am so excited about the casting for Hercule because I love love love him!

I'm planning on getting the book and re-reading it this month because I feel like that's a thing that simply must happen. Frankly, I could get behind re-reading all the Hercule Poirot books. Maybe not all in a role. But you know what I mean...

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda B  (azobac) | 7 comments Mod
My daughter and I have been waiting for 2 months now since seeing the trailer to see this!! We are so excited and can't wait for this to release. It's directed by Kenneth Branagh and I really love his work.

We should maybe do a group read of the book or just anyone that wants to give their 2-cents on the story and/or the movie...

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I've been looking for my copy of the book. Unfortunately, since moving down to the beach, I haven't really organized my books. Mostly because they are upstairs, and getting upstairs isn't always easy for me. And, well, I own a few books. . . Like a few THOUSAND books. So trying to find one with them not being organized isn't easy. Guess I should breakdown and put the week of effort into getting them all organized, hum?

message 5: by David (new)

David Ruffle | 10 comments It will be... interesting. Poirot's moustache looks equally... interesting.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I've always imagined Poirot's mustache as a beautiful handlebar one. The English Master in the school I went to for 6 to 9th grades had the kind of mustache that I always thought Poirot would have. While some of the past portrayers of the Belgian sleuth have had interesting takes on that mustache, I've always wanted someone to do the handlebar. . .

message 7: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov | 9 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I've always imagined Poirot's mustache as a beautiful handlebar one. The English Master in the school I went to for 6 to 9th grades had the kind of mustache that I always thought Poirot would have...."

I am just afraid that it will look like it was pasted on rather than real.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

It's not like it takes years and years for a guy to grow a mustache. He can just put up with it for the length of time it takes to do the movie. Realism is everything!!!!!

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Well, I went to see it yesterday. And HBalikov--the mustache is.....unusual, to say the least. But he had a mustache protector for when he slept. I LOVED that. There were, of course, liberal tweaks to the story, bringing a lot of "modern" sensibilities to it, and totally ignoring what would have actually been happening/allowed to happen during that time period.

I'm also going to admit--not a big Penelope Cruz fan at the best of times. And to have her take the role that Ingrid Bergman had in the original... But I'm not sure who could play that role and avoid the obvious comparisons.

I did like the movie--but considering how many times I've read the books, that might be "damning it with faint praise." If I'd had to pay more than the "$5 Tuesday" price I might have been more upset, but it was well worth the $5.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda B  (azobac) | 7 comments Mod
LOL! I see what you mean Ann! My teenage daughter and I went to finally see it last weekend and also liked it. Many people I had talked to that had seen it said it was slow moving, but I disagree. It was the right pace and the cinematography was fantastic. We both laughed really hard during that mustache protector scene.

50x66

Baker Street Irregulars: The Game's Afoot--time...

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)