SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Challenges > Task Nominations: Mount TBR

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolien (last edited Oct 09, 2017 11:32AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 1992 comments Mod
No rereads allowed.

25 tasks:
The aim is to reduce the number of unread books in your shelves/Kindle or your TBR list. Each task must be doable either with physical books or ebooks (audio books).

Everyone may nominate 2 tasks from now until Saturday. Then I will open the nominations again until we have 25 tasks.

Please stick to these general rules:
- Tasks may not be set for graphic novels or books that are less than 150 pages long.
- Don't nominate tasks that are unfairly restrictive, e.g. forcing participants to acquire expensive or obscure books, or find books set in their home town (it's easy for some, impossible for others).
- Since this challenge is not genre-specific, don't limit your tasks to any one genre.
- Be creative.

Examples:
Sort your Goodreads TBR list or ebook library by date. Read a book that has been on it for more than 2 years OR look in your bookshelf and choose a book that you have had for more than two years.

Read either an ebook or physical book that you have acquired to review. Post your review to complete the task.

message 2: by Janice (last edited Oct 29, 2017 01:00AM) (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Tasks so far:

1. Read a book that you bought in 2017.
2. Read a book that you have received as a gift.
3. Make a top 10 'want to read most list' either from your TBR list or books that you own and read one of the books on the list. Post the original list as part of your task completion.
4. Read a book that is on your first 50 date added books on goodreads that you haven't yet read.
5. Sort your Goodreads TRB list or ereader alphabetically by author. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as your surname. Alternatively, do the same with your physical bookshelf. If you do not have a surname that matches, read a book by an author whose first name starts with the same letter as your first name
6 Read a book that you acquired based on a recommendation (either on Goodreads or in person).
7. Read a book in your TBR list/shelf that you already own that has the earliest original date published.
8. Read a book in your TBR list shelf that you already own that has the latest original date published.
9. Read a book that has been on your tbr list / book shelf that you already own the longest.
10. Read a book in your TBR that has been made into a movie.
11. Read a book in your TBR that is part of a series but it should not be the first book of the series.
12. Read a book in your TBR that has 500 or more pages. Alternatively, if you do not have a book of more than 500 pages, read the book with the most pages.
13. Read a book that has more than 300,000 ratings and has an average rating of more than 4.0 on your TBR list/ebook reader or shelf.
14. Read a book that has a rating of higher than 4.3 on your TBR list/ereader or shelf.
15. Read a book that is also on another member's TBR list here on goodreads.
16. Read a book on your TBR list whose author you have never read before.
17. Read a Classic on your TBR.
18. Read a book that is on your TBR list with a Goodreads rating of 4 or higher.
19. Read a book in your TBR list with a title of three words.
20. Read a book in your TBR list with a dark cover.
21. Read a book on you TBR/shelf that is the third or higher number in a series.
22. Read a book on you TBR/shelf where the main characters name starts with the same letter as yours.
23. Read a book on you TBR/shelf that starts with the same letter as your name. Alternatively, a book title that starts with the same letter as your surname.
24. Read a book on your TBR list with a one word title.
25. Read a book on your TBR list whose author is the same gender as you.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My nominations:
1. Read a book that you bought in 2017.
2. Read a book that was previously a South African Book Lovers book of the month (needs to be a BOTM from before October 2017).

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
3. Read a book that was written by a previous South African Book Lovers author of the month (needs to be a AOTM from before October 2017). :P
4. Read a book that is on your first 50 date added books on goodreads that you haven't yet read.

message 4: by Carolien (new)

5. Sort your Goodreads TRB list or ereader alphabetically by author. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as your surname. Alternatively, do the same with your physical bookshelf.

6 Read a book that you acquired based on a recommendation (either on Goodreads or in person).

message 5: by Carolien (last edited Oct 10, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Janice wrote: "1. Read a book that you bought in 2017.
2. Read a book that was previously a South African Book Lovers book of the month (needs to be a BOTM from before October 2017)."

Janice and Lu, tasks 2 and 3 are a problem since somebody may not have a copy of a book by a previous author or book of the month on their TBR list, ereader or shelf. The intention is not to acquire more books, but to read those that people already have. Can you rethink how to phrase these tasks?

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Ah yes I see the problem!

Here is a strange one:
Clean out: Remove 10 or more books off your to-read list and then make a top 10 'want to read the most' list and read 1 book from that list. *The books on your top 10 list must be on your list for a year or more

(is this too convoluted?)

message 7: by Carolien (new)

Love it, but simplify it a bit. What about:
Make a top 10 'want to read most list' either from your TBR list or books that you own and read one of the books on the list. Post the original list as part of your task completion.

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Sounds good!

OMG I have two more tasks! Come oooon Saturday!

message 9: by Janice (new)

Going to change task 2 to:

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Potgieter (jackiepot) How about:
1. Read the book in your TBR list/shelf that has the earliest original date published.
2. Read the book in your TBR list shelf that has the latest original date published.

message 11: by Angelique (new)

Angelique (angelique682) read the book that has been on your tbr list / book shelf the longest.

message 12: by Angelique (new)

Angelique (angelique682) oooh and one that has been made into a movie... I'm sure most everyone should have At least one on their tbr's right?

message 13: by Janice (new)

Angelique wrote: "oooh and one that has been made into a movie... I'm sure most everyone should have At least one on their tbr's right?"

I certainly do!

message 14: by Carolien (new)

These are such nice tasks, going to enjoy this challenge!

message 15: by Carolien (new)

Nominations are open for the second round. You can post two tasks for the week and we'll start another round next Saturday.

message 16: by Janice (new)

11. Read a book in your TBR that is part of a series but it should not be the first book of the series.
12. Read a book in your TBR that has 500 or more pages. Alternatively, if you do not have a book of more than 500 pages, read the book with the most pages.

message 17: by Carolien (new)

13. Read a book that has more than 300,000 ratings and has an average rating of more than 4.0 and has been on your TBR list/ebook reader or shelf for more than 2 years.

14 Read a book that has a rating of higher than 4.3 that has been on your TBR list/ereader or shelf for more than 2 years.

message 18: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
13. Read a book that is also on another member's TBR list here on goodreads

message 19: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
14. Read a book on your TBR list whose author you have never read before

message 20: by Carolien (new)

Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "13. Read a book that is also on another member's TBR list here on goodreads"

I like this one!

message 21: by Carolien (last edited Oct 15, 2017 02:16AM) (new)

Can we clarify for tasks 7, 8 and 9 that it must be one of the books in some context. The "latest date published" on my TBR is still in the future and I may not be able to get the book immediately. The oldest on my list is an obscure Greek play that doesn't make the page count requirement and the other one is the The Odyssey. Not sure I will have the appetite for either!

Maybe state that it must be one of the most recent/oldest 20 on the list?

message 22: by Janice (new)

Carolien wrote: "Can we clarify for tasks 7, 8 and 9 that it must be one of the books in some context. The "latest date published" on my TBR is still in the future and I may not be able to get the book immediately...."

Valid points. I think it should be allowed, I'll add it to the tasks.

message 23: by Janice (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:53AM) (new)

Carolien wrote: "13. Read a book that has more than 300,000 ratings and has an average rating of more than 4.0 and has been on your TBR list/ebook reader or shelf for more than 2 years.

14 Read a book that has a r..."

Maybe we should have these tasks (13 and 14) without the 2 year limitation? It would be easier to find books then because highly rated books are quite rare.

message 24: by Carolien (new)

I seem to have pages of them, but maybe that's just my blind luck, so yes, let's drop the 2 year requirement.

message 25: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Carolien wrote: "5. Sort your Goodreads TRB list or ereader alphabetically by author. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as your surname. Alternatively, do the same with your physica..."

Um... What could you do, if you don't have an author with the matching letter?
i.e my surname starts with a J - but I don't have any authors with surname beginning with a J in either my digital or physical TBR's. (I have H's and K's...)

message 26: by Carolien (new)

Jax wrote: "Carolien wrote: "5. Sort your Goodreads TRB list or ereader alphabetically by author. Read a book by an author whose surname starts with the same letter as your surname. Alternatively, do the same ..."

Do you have one whose first name starts with the same letter as your first name? We can add that as an alternative.

message 27: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
17. Read a Classic on your TBR?

message 28: by Monique (new)

Monique von Geyso (moniquevg) | 72 comments 18. Read a book that is on your TBR list with a Goodreads rating of 4 or higher

message 29: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Carolien wrote: "Do you have one whose first name starts with the same letter as your first name? We can add that as an alternative."

That I do!! :)

message 30: by Carolien (new)

Janice wrote: "Carolien wrote: "Can we clarify for tasks 7, 8 and 9 that it must be one of the books in some context. The "latest date published" on my TBR is still in the future and I may not be able to get the ..."

I had a different thought on these. Maybe we shouldn't put it as a specific number, but limit it to books that you already own? I don't think we want people to have to buy books and the 20 book limitation may just have that effect. Your thoughts?

message 31: by Janice (new)

Carolien wrote: "Janice wrote: "Carolien wrote: "Can we clarify for tasks 7, 8 and 9 that it must be one of the books in some context. The "latest date published" on my TBR is still in the future and I may not be a..."

I think this would be better. Will update the tasks.

message 32: by Carolien (new)

Nominations open for this week.

message 33: by Janice (new)

19. Read a book in your TBR list with a title of three words.
20. Read a book in your TBR list with a dark cover.

message 34: by Carolien (new)

21 Read a book on you TBR/shelf that is the third or higher number in a series.

message 35: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
22. Read a book on you TBR/shelf where the main characters name starts with the same letter as yours

message 36: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
23. Read a book on you TBR/shelf that starts with the same letter as your name

message 37: by Carolien (new)

Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "23. Read a book on you TBR/shelf that starts with the same letter as your name"

Lu, are you referring to the title? Task 5 is quite similar and we did run into an issue where not everybody had a match and had to adapt the task. So if somebody doesn't have a title that matches their first name, would surname do?

message 38: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yip. Yea I think that is a good compromise.

message 39: by Carolien (new)

Last round of task nominations.

message 40: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
24. Read a book on your TBR list with a one word title.

message 41: by Janice (new)

25. Read a book on your TBR list whose author is the same gender as you.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments 25. Sort your TBR list according to Date Added then read the book listed at the position that corresponds to your age (e.g. if you are 30 years old read book number 30).

message 43: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Yip. Yea I think that is a good compromise."

Um... (sorry, yes, it's me again...)
My Initials are J.J
and having scoured my TBR shelves, I have precisely one title beginning with a J - and which would be used to complete task 7 (earliest publication date.)

What would you guys accept as an alternative? (I do have authors that have first names beginning with J, and one or two with protagonists with names beginning with J.)
Or would it be okay if I use the second earliest publication for task 7 to move my single J to task 23?

message 44: by Carolien (new)

Jax wrote: "Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Yip. Yea I think that is a good compromise."

Um... (sorry, yes, it's me again...)
My Initials are J.J
and having scoured my TBR shelves, I have precisely one title beg..."

This is so funny! Play around with the publication date, it would be the easiest I think.

message 45: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
Thank you!! :)