This topic is about Legend
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Legend [Jan 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Jan 20th

Andrew | 653 comments It's gonna be...(wait for it)...LEGENDARY

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Ok looking at my BR tracker it's gonna seem unlikely but if I can I'll try to join for this since I want to read this book if I can because my schedule is pretty tight

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments It's a quick read Adam. If you had a weekend, you could finish it. It's great too, you don't want to miss this one.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Really?? Well looks like I may read this after all haha

Choko (chokog) | 6799 comments I will join you guys...

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "Really?? Well looks like I may read this after all haha"

Yeah I was really impressed with it and it's such a unique read. The amount of depth he gets from only 300 pages is incredible! I highly recommend it.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I'm in!

Andrew | 653 comments I'm excited to see this BR gaining momentum. It's going to be a good year meandering our way through the Drenai Saga!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Ol I've been doing some reading and I'm hoping some people who have read this may clarify are all the books connected and I mean like an overarching plot or is it like case books where it's a different story with some familiar characters but there's nothing really connecting them if that makes sense ??

Also I hear there's a chronological order which sounds odd because knowing that no I expect it to be confusing and is that the case not saying it bothers me but it would be good to now??

message 12: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven’t read them, but I’m assuming that because this was published before there were novellas/collections numbered #2.5 etc that it’s a similar situation, just numbered differently

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I re-read the Legend this year but since I really want to read the whole saga I might join. We'll see.

Andrew | 653 comments Ahdam, I can't answer your specific question since I haven't read Drenai Saga yet. But the little bit of Gremmell that I have read was a very "light" read in the sense that it was fast and action-oriented and didn't focus much on political subterfuge. This ain't Song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time.

Ahdam wrote: "Ol I've been doing some reading and I'm hoping some people who have read this may clarify are all the books connected and I mean like an overarching plot or is it like case books where it's a diffe..."

Terry | 270 comments I'll join along.

message 16: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1266 comments I'll be hopping onto this one as well.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Cool I can't wait to get into this 😂😂😂

message 18: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’m excited about how many folks we have joining us for this! We may need to do a dream casting thread!

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments To be honest with a series this big and well known to have an award which is named after the author and you get an axe as a trophy I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted yet

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments Ahdam wrote: "To be honest with a series this big and well known to have an award which is named after the author and you get an axe as a trophy I'm surprised it hasn't been adapted yet"

Hey Ahdam, I've only read Legend. But, I've read articles on his books that state he writes stories within hopping time lines. So the books as published aren't chronological, but do have characters that appear here and there, Druss being the major one.

message 21: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

That may be true for Drenai, but Troy is more linear (in case some may not be a fan of the style described by Chris)

message 22: by Chris (last edited Nov 18, 2017 04:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments That's just what I've heard. But I'm sure that it'll be good reads either which way. The books are entertaining and the characters have depth, which is all you can ask for in a good read! I'll be joining you for the second book for sure.

message 23: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

I look forward to it!

Andrew | 653 comments I'm pretty excited too. This and Fionvar Tapestry have been on my TBR List for quite a while, and we've got Buddy Reads coming up soon for both series.

message 25: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1266 comments Margaret, having heard such good things about the Troy series from you, I really want to read that one too! Since it's shorter I actually thought about that one first, I just don't think I'll have time to fit it in before this one. Perhaps I'll keep it mind for a future Buddy Read. :)

message 26: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’d probably re read it, it was so good

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6216 comments I'm in.

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Dec 18, 2017 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I'm in for this one and probably for the rest of the series :)

Brian | 1084 comments I’ll try it as well!

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm in! It'll be my first buddy read :)

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Virginie wrote: "I'm in! It'll be my first buddy read :)"

careful, they are addictive (speaking from experience) :)

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Virginie wrote: "I'm in! It'll be my first buddy read :)"

Have fun! It looks like we have a good group forming for this one :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments So I decided to start this today to get out of my slump and 2 chapters I'm very interested in it so far and the foreword got me interested who would think that if Gemmel got Cancer the story would be different

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments I'm on chapter 14 and I'm loving this book so much Druss has definitely become my favourite characters and I know I jumped the gun but this book seems to have got me out of my reading slump so I cant wait for you guys to read it.

Andrew | 653 comments Glad to hear it's a good read, Ahdam. I'm excited to start it in a few days

Brian | 1084 comments I bought the book today so ready for the weekend!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Ahdam wrote: "I'm on chapter 14 and I'm loving this book so much Druss has definitely become my favourite characters and I know I jumped the gun but this book seems to have got me out of my reading slump so I ca..."

This is a book one zip through, isn't it? A great reminder to many contemporary writers that epic does not automatically equate with +600 pages. That you can have 350 pages packed with action to the brim.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Mayim wrote: "Ahdam wrote: "I'm on chapter 14 and I'm loving this book so much Druss has definitely become my favourite characters and I know I jumped the gun but this book seems to have got me out of my reading..."

Yep this book definitely knows how to keep you hooked and it doesn't feel like gemmel is trying to rush you to the battles as we're not spending too much time with characters but I still enjoy them enough to see what's gonna happen to them and I can't wait for the final battle.

message 39: by jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Im glad to hear this is good! Im stuck in the mire of The Shadow Rising right now but hope to start this next week!

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments I did enjoy it as much as during the first and second read.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments I started the audiobook yesterday. Why did the author give a person and a place such similar sounding names (Druss and Dross)? lol

Mayim de Vries | 2918 comments Veronica wrote: "I started the audiobook yesterday. Why did the author give a person and a place such similar sounding names (Druss and Dross)? lol"

I never thought about it. I guess it looks better than it sounds. :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments It was a bit confusing at first until I figured out it was two different things.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Oops, I totally forgot to add this to my tracker. I might be late in starting it. I have 2 other books starting on the same day.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3611 comments No worries, Diana. I'm finding the latter part of January more busy as far as BRs go than I realized.

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2423 comments Hope you guys like it and I can't wait to see what you think of druss

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments I'll be starting this tonight... just wrapped up American Gods and Wayfarers

Brian | 1084 comments I’m going to start tonight too. I want to join in Wizards first Rule BR as well on the 22nd.

Choko (chokog) | 6799 comments Up to Ch 3 and already hooked! I love that a boy horse is called Daffodil ! Very heroic! And the several warnings about the candles have me worried for his friends' inn and the family...

Timelord Iain | 16626 comments Before I started the book, I assumed Druss was the legend, especially since there's another book about him with a longer title... now (view spoiler)

Early on, I was starting to wonder if Druss was even in the book... even tho I think he was in the blurb... then he showed up before I had a chance to comment as much...

I'm enjoying the book... has me wondering what the series is about... (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3