Forgotten YA Gems discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Previous BOTMs > Miss Peregrine's: Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ley (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ley (mall3tg1rl) | 89 comments Mod
1) Why do you think Jake isolates himself from other kids before his grandfather's death?

2) Would you have been as bratty as he is at work?

3) Would you throw out the pictures, or would you keep one?

4) What do you think Emma meant about Jake's own loop?

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) | 327 comments Mod
I'm insane about keeping pictures and movie tickets and whatnot, so it really bothered me when Jacob threw out all the pictures. Even if he didn't think they were real, they were part of his grandfather's life, and that's not the sort of thing you can get back. It made me really sad.

I can't really answer the rest of the questions since I went ahead and finished the book, but I'm really liking what Riggs does with the pictures. They weren't much of a draw for me when it came to the premise, but I think he does a cool job piecing together a story with them.

Tacey Raye I would have kept the pictures. I finished the book too.

Plot Monster (plotmonster) 1. I'm not sure if he purposely isolates himself or if he just doesn't feel like he fits in.
2. If I was trying to get fired...
3. I would have kept all of the pictures in memory of my grandfather, even if I couldn't look at them for a while.

message 5: by K (last edited Oct 16, 2017 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

K (bookish_kayjinx) | 22 comments I happened to finish the book a few days ago, but I’ll do my best to respond to these questions as I would have without the knowledge I have now having finished.

1) Why do you think Jake isolates himself from other kids before his grandfather's death?
-I questioned that too. It made it seem cliche to me. Oh wow, the protagonist of the story secludes themselves from others and I bet you, he’s “special” in some way. It kind of ticked me off because I saw no point in it. Okay, besides that, I’ll assume he just didn’t fit in, but the book failed to show a good explanation for it.

-No. Work is work; it’s a place you respect. Then again, I’m an adult and he’s a child. I can’t expect him to understand his foolishness in the workplace as unacceptable behavior.

-I’d keep them. Why? They’re weird and different. And, there’s the fact that my grandfather cherishes them. He shared stories with me about it. I would never throw away mementos, even if they are creepy pictures with creepy stories attached. (Haha~)

-I have no flipping idea. That threw me through my own loop itself (pun intended hahaha~). I was left curious in understanding and knowing more about what she meant. What else aren’t you telling me Emma?!?!

Shelby (shelbykay0616) I know I'm a little late, but I just joined this group and I also just finished this book!

-I think Jake isolated himself because he felt different from the other kids due to his peculiarity. I agree with Kimberly. It is cliche, and the book didn't really explain it very well.

-I've always been told that you leave your personal life at the door when you come in to work, and I've always done that so no I wouldn't have been.

-I'd like to say that I wouldn't throw them out considering they were so important to my grandfather, but when you're upset you tend to do things in the spur of the moment. So, who knows...I might have.

-This was also confusing to me. I hope someone can clear this up, or maybe the next book can explain it?

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) | 327 comments Mod
Welcome to the party! I agree the outsider trope is a little overdone in YA fiction, but I think it comes up so often because writers and readers as a group tend to be isolated weirdos (and I absolutely include myself in that lol.) In general, we like to stay home and read more than we like to interact, and this is as true for me now as it was when I was a teenager. People like to read books that have characters like them in it. I'm much more likely to bond with a character who has problems socializing because I can relate to that. It's much better when it's well-done though (say, Cath from Fangirl rather than Jacob from Miss Peregrine's).

message 8: by Ley (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ley (mall3tg1rl) | 89 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "I know I'm a little late, but I just joined this group and I also just finished this book!

-I think Jake ..."

Welcome to our lil corner!

I personally also hate the outsider trope, and I've 100% noticed that all of my main characters are outsiders too, but none of them are nearly as bratty as Jake is. Even with jobs I've HAAAAAAAATED, I still showed up and did the work. Yes, it's his family's company, but damn dude, it's a job with a paycheck.

I would've kept at least a few pictures. Then again, i'm a weirdo pack-rat, sooooooooo.

As far as Jake's own "loop", I think it's briefly touched on later in the book, but I won't spoil that here!!