Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews discussion

2017 Monthly Reading > DISCUSSION- Night Film

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Oct 30, 2017 04:37PM) (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) | 260 comments Mod
Welcome to our discussion for our October book choice, Night Film! While you are free to discuss as you like, I did want to supply a few questions that really cover some of the major aspects. SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

1) How did you feel about the ending? We’re you upset by the lack of closure? What do you think really happened to Ashley?

2) What did you think of the multimedia reading experience? Did you feel it enhances the story or distracted you from fully engaging?

3) Were you able to connect/relate with any characters in particular? Did you find any characters completely unlikable and difficult to read about?

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 17 comments I have the luxury of listening to the Audiobook version of the Night Film. Not quite finished yet, but what a mesmerizing book!

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Ah how exciting Ben!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Oh. My. God. Yesssss! One of the best books I have read in a long time!

Sam (Clues and Reviews) (cluesandreviews) | 56 comments Mod
I am loving this one so far. I am not sure what I was expecting exactly but this book is so much more than what I thought it would be!! I love the media content with the articles and the website excerpts. It is just so different!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Sam (Clues and Reviews) wrote: "I am loving this one so far. I am not sure what I was expecting exactly but this book is so much more than what I thought it would be!! I love the media content with the articles and the website ex..."

I really liked the media content in it as well. It kept it interesting to read, like I was there on the computer with them reading the articles.

message 7: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Frisch (belindafrisch) Me, too. I think I would be missing something if I did the audiobook version of this one because the reports really make you feel like part of the action.

message 8: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments I really loved the media content as well, it did give a more involved feel to the book.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Richardson (lr622) | 9 comments I am listening to the Audible during my commute & reading the paperback (media resolution is much better than my Kindle). There isn’t any mention in the Kindle, but my paperback references an iphone App where you scanned the bird image & it brought up additional content. The app is history, but the author has made them available for viewing via the web.
http://marishapessl.com/night-film-app/

message 10: by Dennis (new)

Dennis (scaredstraightreads) | 5 comments Ugh I'm slacking! I have 12 days!

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books) (dryan0) | 14 comments Dennis wrote: "Ugh I'm slacking! I have 12 days!"

Same! I still need to start it too! Maybe we should buddy read it??

message 12: by TR (new)

TR | 42 comments Don't feel bad guys. I haven't started it either. Trying to get this library book read before it has to be back first.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Frisch (belindafrisch) I'm only on page 98, simultaneously reading Descent on Kindle when my insomnia acts up. I'll never finish this in two weeks, but like Chelsea says, the conversation is always here.

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Dennis wrote: "Ugh I'm slacking! I have 12 days!"

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books) wrote: "Dennis wrote: "Ugh I'm slacking! I have 12 days!"

Same! I still need to start it too! Maybe we should buddy read it??"

TR wrote: "Don't feel bad guys. I haven't started it either. Trying to get this library book read before it has to be back first."

Belinda wrote: "I'm only on page 98, simultaneously reading Descent on Kindle when my insomnia acts up. I'll never finish this in two weeks, but like Chelsea says, the conversation is always here."

Absolutely guys; no rush at all! This thread isn't going anywhere. 🙌🏼

message 15: by Kelli (new)

Kelli | 2 comments Just started this one last night and I am loving it so far. I've only made it to page 70, but I can tell it's going to be a quick read for me!

message 16: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (absorbedinpages) I am a little late to on my read for October. I am about 98 pages in and I love it so far. I really love the articles, reports, etc that are incorporated in the book. As a reader, it really makes me feel a part of the investigation aspect.

message 17: by Kimmie (new)

Kimmie | 1 comments This book is fantastic! I am totally enthralled. I wake up thinking about it 😳I am 75% through. It's taking me a while to finish because I'm so busy, but I can't wait to find out the ending!🙆🏻

ABookwormWithWine I haven’t read all that much of this book yet, but I’m loving the multimedia aspect. It’s so different from everything else I’ve read. And I’m glad the author made the media from the app that doesn’t exist anymore available on her website.

That being said, I’m not even to page 100 yet, and I’m having a hard time really getting into it. Anyone else? I feel like it’s just me since everyone else loves it. 🙈

message 19: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 17 comments I've got 2.5 hrs to go on the Audiobook...So far it's utterly mesmerizing! Haven't read anything quite like it.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I don't know about anyone else, but this book got inside my head. I was having dreams about this book and had trouble sleeping one night. To me, that is a sign of a great book lol.

message 21: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Yes, Michelle I had trouble sleeping while reading it as well.

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

Hey guys! Just FYI I added a few starter discussion questions to start the conversation.

message 23: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments I enjoyed most of the book actually could not put it down but the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I did think it lacked closure. We did not get answers.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Thelma wrote: "I enjoyed most of the book actually could not put it down but the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I did think it lacked closure. We did not get answers."

I think that was kind of the point, to not get complete closure. Cordova is still supposed to be mysterious. I think for me, if we would have gotten all the answers about him, it would take away from the magic of the book. I was happy that we got closure though on Ashley.

message 25: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 17 comments I finally finished this! Yahoo!!

1) How did you feel about the ending? We’re you upset by the lack of closure? What do you think really happened to Ashley?

I just believe that she committed suicide...Unless I missed something. But considering the facts that Mcgrath discovered that seems more than likely the case. I wasn't upset at the ending although I wasn't sure why it leaped to an interview in the 70's with Cordova. Couldn't understand that part. I thought the overall closure, resolution was good.

2) What did you think of the multimedia reading experience? Did you feel it enhances the story or distracted you from fully engaging?

I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. In hindsight it added to the overall feel of the book.

3) Were you able to connect/relate with any characters in particular? Did you find any characters completely unlikable and difficult to read about?

I related mainly to the main characters. Scott Mcgrath, Nora and Hopper. What a wild group! Loved the bond they formed in the end. I wondered what happened to the man they called Spyder though.

message 26: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin  Thomas | 17 comments Michelle wrote: "Thelma wrote: "I enjoyed most of the book actually could not put it down but the ending was a bit of a disappointment. I did think it lacked closure. We did not get answers."

I think that was kind..."

I agree. The writer leaves it up to our imagination what happened to Cordova and McGrath. That it way it kind of suspends our sense of closure forever. The mystery of Cordova will forever linger in question marks.

message 27: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Elm | 16 comments I couldn't rush the reading of this one. So well-written, and the characters are beautifully drawn. Love Scott of course because he's a journo looking for that big story that will put him back on top. I also like Hopper and Nora who seem very authentic as the kind of kids that exist by their wits in the city (but not, as the author says, for very long.)
As my progress with the book shows, I am only 26% through it, so I'm never going to finish it in time. However, I am extremely curious, and don't really mind if this prompts a spoiler answer but something I just read in the last few chapters about Nora and something she said, made me suddenly wonder if perhaps Nora is really Ashley????

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Joanna wrote: "I couldn't rush the reading of this one. So well-written, and the characters are beautifully drawn. Love Scott of course because he's a journo looking for that big story that will put him back on t..."

That is interesting...What was it you read that made you think Nora could be Ashley?

message 29: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Elm | 16 comments If I remember correctly, it was about at the 25%mark, when Nora was talking about Cordova driving his first wife to suicide. "It was from being around him," she says and the "him" is italicised -- almost as if Nora knows Cordova. She also seems to know way too much about all of Cordova's films -- even though she's just joined Scott in the investigation. She is very insistent on wanting to be part of that investigation. She suggests Gaetana Stevens as a user name when Gaetana is a character in an obscure Cordova movie and a character that Ashley played in the movie. She knows about Matilde, the final film only diehard Cordovites know about, comments Scott.
She says Ashley gave her the coat (just before going to leap off the roof). Nora was the last one to see her. What if it's Nora who actually went off the roof?
It was just a hunch. Will probably turn out to be a not-so-good one when I read further into the book?

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Richardson (lr622) | 9 comments If they ever make this into a movie, I can picture Matthew McConaughey as Hopper.

Benjamin wrote: "I finally finished this! Yahoo!!

I just believe that she committed suic..."

I felt similar. I didn't love the multimedia stuff at the beginning but by the middle, I was really into it. It added another level to the text.

Linda wrote: "If they ever make this into a movie, I can picture Matthew McConaughey as Hopper."

That is a fantastic choice! I agree!

message 33: by Katee (new)

Katee (ktdakotareads) | 2 comments Okay I think I may be the only one who wasn't in love with this book. I did really enjoy it but I felt by the time they actually got to The Peak the story started to decline in its intensity. I'm still glad I read it but maybe it was a tad too long and the story got drawn out a little longer than necessary. I also liked the characters and that they had their own unlikable qualities. This book was written before we started seeing all the thriller/mystery novels with unlikable characters but at least these characters have redeemable qualities for their flaws.

I did like the end where it doesn't have a definitive ending and the reader is left to make their own determination on what will happen. I was also hoping for more of a horror element than I got. I didn't didn't find it particularly scary. This may be because I read horror novels or the type of profession I have . There were a couple of parts that made me cringe but overall it was a good book but didn't scare me.

ABookwormWithWine Katee wrote: "Okay I think I may be the only one who wasn't in love with this book. I did really enjoy it but I felt by the time they actually got to The Peak the story started to decline in its intensity. I'm s..."

You are certainly not the only one who isn’t in love with this book! I’m struggling with it. I’ve been reading it for weeks and I keep stopping and moving onto other stuff. It’s good, just not holding my attention. I’m trying to get it done in the next few days since I haven’t even started this months book. 🙈

message 35: by Belinda (last edited Nov 21, 2017 07:00AM) (new)

Belinda Frisch (belindafrisch) It took me longer than I expected to read NIGHT FILM, not because I wasn't enthralled but because there's a lot going on in this book and I found it easier to digest in smaller pieces.

I’m inclined to think the story about Ashley’s recurring cancer is true. It makes perfect sense, and is supported by medical records (which would be hard to falsify even for someone as wide-reaching as Cordova). The interpretive ending feels as if even though Ashley was terminally ill, there might have been a supernatural component to her death.

The Devil’s Bridge plot line was brilliant in how it tied together Cordova being sighted on the playgrounds and the rumors about what he might have been doing with the children, all the while solidifying Ashley as someone too talented and beautiful to be replaced in the swap for souls. There’s a sense throughout the book that Ashley is one-of-a-kind, much like her father. The scream of loss when she crossed the bridge gave me chills. I believe Cordova’s family bought into the paranormal, which made me want to believe too.

I didn’t love or hate it. It’s unique but wasn’t so overwhelmingly effective as to have been an enhancement or a distraction, in my opinion.

I connected in some way with all of the characters for different reasons except maybe Villarde (the Spider) who isn’t the most well-fleshed out but maybe the most influential part of selling the story about the Devil’s Bridge. I hated him, and I would guess that was the author’s intention. I’m pretty glad Ashley exacted some sort of retribution before her death.

I’m bummed Nora and Scott didn’t end up together, and disappointed with Hopper’s exit stage left, though both endings seems to be the “right one” if there is such a thing given what the three of them went through.

Overall, there’s a lot to love about this book. It’s complicated, dark, and gave me so much to think about. I’m not typically a re-reader, but I can see myself re-reading this one someday. My review is up if anyone’s interested in reading it: http://bit.ly/2zN9SXl.

message 36: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Belinda, I was also bummed about scott and nora. I felt like Hopper's exit was vague. I did really enjoy the book. I think this group picks great reads. I wanted to join a group that would introduce me to new authors and books a little different from what I usually pick for myself so I could have more variety in what I am reading. I feel like a joined the perfect group. I am loving the books!

ABookwormWithWine I can't believe that I FINALLY finished this book. It took me forever to get into it, but once I did I flew through the remainder of the book.

1) How did you feel about the ending? Were you upset by the lack of closure? What do you think really happened to Ashley?

- I was actually a little worried about the ending after reading other people's thoughts. BUT, I didn't mind the ending. I thought that it was a little open ended, but nothing that bothered me. I am 99% sure that Ashley committed suicide, unless I missed something major. I also believe that she had cancer and that it was cancer and not black magic at work, even though some of what happened in the book was some creepy shit. I didn't really like how things ended with Hopper though. I really want to know what he saw in that house that made him so pensive at the end and that he wouldn't tell Nora or Scott about. I was also kind of sad that Scott and Nora didn't end up together even though in all reality he was probably way too old for her.

- The multimedia aspect was actually my favorite part of this book. I thought it completely enhanced the story. It was also so unlike anything that I have ever seen before in a fiction book, and I was pretty enamored with the concept.

- It's funny because I actually ended up finding Cordova pretty unlikable. Just for the simple fact that there was so much mystery surrounding him and things he may or may not have done, whatever the reason, were pretty appalling. His son not being able to go to the hospital because of a movie Cordova is shooting, and because of it loses 3 fingers? What father does that? I just couldn't really like the guy. I also didn't love the Spider or Morgan Devold (because ew, and creepy AF). I don't know if I really connected to any of the characters per say, but I did enjoy the relationship that formed between Hopper, Scott, and Nora.

Overall, I ended up being more impressed by this book than I thought I was going to be since it was taking me so long to get into it.

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 7 comments Reading.Between.Wines wrote: "Katee wrote: "Okay I think I may be the only one who wasn't in love with this book. I did really enjoy it but I felt by the time they actually got to The Peak the story started to decline in its in..."

I'm so late to the discussion for this one, but I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who struggled with this one and was not in love with it! I actually started it in early in September and thought I would fly through it since it usually takes me 2-4 days to read a book. It took me 7 weeks! I don't know if it was because I was listening to the audiobook and it just couldn't capture my attention. I was able to use the enhanced multimedia reading enhancements since they came with the Audible book, and I thought they were very unique! I'm not sure what I expected with Night Film, but I couldn't connect to the characters even though I liked Nora and the relationship Scott, Hopper, and she formed. It was interesting...a solid 3 stars is what I rated it, and I may try reading it again as a physical book and see if I enjoy it better that way versus the audiobook. Something just felt lacking in parts although I did enjoy the ending and the way it was left open-ended.

ABookwormWithWine Stephanie wrote: "Reading.Between.Wines wrote: "Katee wrote: "Okay I think I may be the only one who wasn't in love with this book. I did really enjoy it but I felt by the time they actually got to The Peak the stor..."

I was almost just as late as you so don't feel bad! Lol. It took me weeks to read it as well, I really struggled. I'm interested on what this would be like as an audiobook. If you ever read the book I would be interested to see what you think. I still have yet to listen to an audiobook.

Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Night Film (other topics)