Up and Coming Authors discussion

Archives (Past Group Reads) > DISCUSSION (SPOILERS) Celtic Evil

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 150 comments Mod
Please Discuss Celtic Evil Here.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I finished this book last night and I really enjoyed it. The relationships between the characters were real and believable and it was an engaging book. I think I enjoyed finding out how Ryan really felt about Roarke. It was the perfect example of how most siblings who swear they hate each other really feel. Ryan said, "No one gets to hurt the brat [Roarke:] but me."

message 3: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna A Diamond in the Ruff

The book has a wonderful feeling of a fast paced fairytale adventure for grown-ups. If you are a fan of magic, Ireland, love to read about good fighting evil, witchcraft and wizardry, the book won’t leave you disappointed. A warning for English teachers everywhere-- the book is pretty much grammar’s grave. Some pages have as many as 15 mistakes in them, and the book has over 200 pages. Still, think about it as if you were sitting deep in a country, somewhere in Ireland, and a master-storyteller without any formal education was telling you a wonderful tale about five brothers: all handsome, tall, smart, noble, and on their way to face an evil wizard. I have to confess, I quit the book about halfway through while I was reading it for a group read (it turned out to be not something I was truly interested in completing), but I know it will make a great read for many people.

I am going to post this on Goodreads and possibly Amazon with a 4-star rating

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarereads) The spelling and grammatical errors were so distracting that I was too bothered to continue. Get a friend to proofread for you!

It also seemed like a bad rip-off of both Nora Roberts' recent books - the Sign of Seven (Blood Brothers, The Hollow and The Pagan Stone) meets her Circle Trilogy (Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, Valley of Silence).

message 5: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna Clare wrote: "The spelling and grammatical errors were so distracting that I was too bothered to continue. Get a friend to proofread for you!

It also seemed like a bad rip-off of both Nora Roberts' recent book..."

I agree with Clare about grammar and spelling. Most readers will treat bad grammar as a sign of author's disrespect towards the reader and drop the book. I had to promise myself that I will not judge "Celtic Evil" solely on grammar, but will include mentioning of bad grammar in my review. I have not read mentioned above Nora Robert's books, so I will not comment on any rip-off accusations, but I have to say that the idea of seven brothers, five brothers or sisters with magical powers and so on is not new neither to mythology, nor to literature.

message 6: by Sierra (last edited Aug 12, 2009 08:14PM) (new)

Sierra Rose (sierrarose) | 35 comments First since I don't know how often I'll be checking in the rest of the week let me thank any and all who comment here.

Next, I've addressed the grammar issue in the other thread above and will not again. The spelling issue was revised in the paperback edition, not so the Kindle and that too was addressed in the other thread. First one on the page, I believe. I don't write like a college graduate and never claimed to.

Finally, my characters create themselves and are certainly not meant to be a new thing to literature or the like. They are what they are. The Fitzgerald's certainly aren't the first set of five brothers I've created since when I write anything other than action/adventure anti-terriorist stuff it's family sagas and by some quirk of mine it usually happens to be five. In fact, in my profile under Sierra's Writing there's an example of another five brothers called 'Homecoming'. Nowhere near complete or anything.
Roarke's character began in an action style book but then the series turned paranormal and after two weeks and many bio sheets later to flesh out the general aspects they came out like this but basically they created themselves since I allow my characters to say what personalities, what attributes they have.
I certainly won't apoligize if the story or the boys don't appeal to all readers or if the subject matter is tired and old. Give that to all the young yuppie vampire stories floating around these days. I think if I was tempted to write a vampire story even I'd slap myself.
As for the 'rip-off' comment, I won't even dignify that with a reply.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I can't address the spelling and grammar issues because my own is so bad that I didn't notice any.

The story was well crafted and interesting. It really shows that the author knows something about magick, which is usually such a let down in a story like this. I loved the characters, there were so many of them and yet each was still fleshed out and original in and of themselves. The relationships between the brothers was the most interesting part of the story. I especially loved Roarke (good thing, given this is his book) Kelly and Ryan.

The story seems cliched by the description but it was done so originally and with such a clean technique that it surpasses any cliches. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes paranormal romance.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I couldn't agree with you more Christy!