Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Suggestions & Voting > Books of the Month - Novemeber 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Oct 13, 2017 01:25AM) (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
That time of the month again
Time to nominate for Novembers books of the month.
November will also be Scifi month across a number of Blogs and co-hosted by our own wonderful Rinn so get involved if interested .

- Nominations will be open for 24-48 hours and during that time we will take in as many nominations as possible.
- After 24-48 hours, 8 books from each genre will be chosen at random from the selection, using a random generator online.
- Only ONE nomination per person (EITHER sci-fi OR fantasy)
- No books nominated last month may be re-nominated for Novemeber, instead you must wait until Decemeber to nominate them again. A book counts as "nominated" when it made it to the polls. If it was suggested, but not picked for the polls, it can be entered again.
- If books are part of a series, they must be the first, unless the group has already read the previous book(s) (you can see our previous group reads here)
- No authors nominating their own works
- No self-published or ebook only books - we want our BotM to be accessible to as many members as possible!
- Book nominations may be seconded in place of a suggestion, but this will count as your choice for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomisation process.

SCIENCE FICTION:
The Vorrh
Metro 2033
Ubik
Pandora's Star
Caliban's War
Gemina
The Collapsing Empire
The Last Policeman
Just One Damned Thing After Another
Deathworld 1
Mindstar Rising

FANTASY:
The Black Tides of Heaven
Knight's Shadow
Akata Witch
Hounded
Heroes Die
Three Parts Dead
The Mirror Empire
Legend
City of Bones
The Obelisk Gate
Throne of Jade
The Darkness That Comes Before

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1130 comments I'm gong to try again for Knight's Shadow

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 39 comments Let's have another go for The Vorrh

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1225 comments I would like to nominate Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor again for fantasy. It is a delightful urban fantasy with an interesting magic system that I really think the group will enjoy.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 39 comments Melanie wrote: "I would like to nominate Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor again for fantasy. It is a delightful urban fantasy with an interesting magic system that I really think the gr..."

Not read this one yet, but I consider Okorafor my find of the year, what a brilliant writer.

message 7: by Tallyho (last edited Oct 09, 2017 04:37AM) (new)

Tallyho Is it time for Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hounded by Kevin Hearne again?

I think it is!!! (Fantasy)

message 8: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. Can go as either sci fi or fantasy.

message 9: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate Three Parts Dead for fantasy.

message 10: by Steve (last edited Oct 10, 2017 10:54AM) (new)

message 11: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Your call Lancer

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Steve, we previously read Fifth Season if you would like to pick the sequel

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments For Sci-fi I'll suggest Warrior Wench (The Asarlaí Wars #1) by Marie Andreas .

message 14: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I'll nominate Metro 2033 for SF please

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1062 comments I'll nominate Ubik by Philip K. Dick for sci-fi

message 16: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Sean we may have to discount your nimination as it appears to be as self published title with limited a availability.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Shawcroft | 8 comments I don't see the link for looking at previous group reads (so I can avoid suggesting a book already nominated). There's a place for it but no link. Thanks.

message 18: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Cant copy the link on the phone app but if you go to the group bookshelves there is a shelf for group reads. I can add the link later from home

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1062 comments Here's the link Veronica: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 20: by Margo (new)

Margo I second Ubik

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Thanks Greg :-)

message 22: by Lafayette (new)

Lafayette | 26 comments I would like to nominate Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

I gave 4 stars for Pandora's star and will give 5 for the second book, Judas Unchained which is not so frequent for me.

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Shawcroft | 8 comments Greg wrote: "Here's the link Veronica: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books..."

Thanks!

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Shawcroft | 8 comments I'd like to nominate Caliban's War which is the 2nd in the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. This is a great series!

message 25: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The Mirror Empire for fantasy

message 26: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 118 comments City of Bones for fantasy.

message 27: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2807 comments Mod
Already?? Okay -- Gemina for sci fi

message 28: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikenl) I'll throw Legend in the ring for Fantasy once more.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Rinn wrote: "The Mirror Empire for fantasy"

I'll second The Mirror Empire, and note that it is currently $2.99 on Kindle US for those so inclined.

message 30: by Danisha (new)

Danisha | 1 comments Hey guy's I'm a new member here Furies of Calderon would have been my first read with the group, but certain things have come in to play and I will not be able to read as much as I've planned this month.

I did see though that Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke came in third for Octobers Sci-Fi and I wanted to see if it could get another shot for next month.

So I will be nominating Childhood's End for Novembers Science Fiction Nomination

Thanks, can't wait to discuss some great books with you guys soon.

message 31: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Marjot nominate The Obelisk Gate

message 33: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I guess throw it in fantasy Paul, seems to be fairly equal in nominations so far so you can switch it later I'd you need to round it out.

message 34: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I'd like to nominate Throne of Jade (Temeraire #2) for fantasy.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura (ldmccormick) | 1 comments second Akata Witch

message 36: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 79 comments i'd like to nominate Flowers for Algernon for science fictions please

message 37: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Lynne wrote: "i'd like to nominate Flowers for Algernon for science fictions please"

Apologies Lynne we did that one April last

message 38: by Margo (new)

Margo Ooh I want to read that but I've already Ubik which I also own. Some good nominations this month.

message 39: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Danisha wrote: "Hey guy's I'm a new member here Furies of Calderon would have been my first read with the group, but certain things have come in to play and I will not be able to read as much as I've planned this ..."
Apologies Danisha. Something that was in the polls last month has to wait a month before renominating.

message 40: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Probably enough Fantasy in there so anyone for more scifi

message 41: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1288 comments I'll nominate The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi for science fiction.

message 42: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'll second The Collapsing Empire. Its a book I'm looking forward to reading and has been on my scifi month pile already

message 43: by Margo (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:38AM) (new)

Margo I'm doing a buddy read of The Collapsing Empire with another group next month :-)

message 44: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (last edited Oct 10, 2017 03:51AM) (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
You're really getting around young lady. Do we need a quiet word

message 45: by Margo (new)

Margo Oy cheeky whipper-snapper, don't "young lady" me. I could be your .....older sister lol

Two groups I'm active in - this one and YLTO. Both nice and friendly - mostly ;-p

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 1212 comments Gemina's been nominated twice but is listed once.

message 47: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I havent listed anybook seconded twice and with only seven nominations for scifi so far it won't play a part

message 48: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1796 comments I'll second Knight's Shadow for fantasy please

message 49: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments How about The Last Policeman for SF?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.