ARCs Anonymous discussion

ARCtober (...you get it) > Fangirl or complain about your book here

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) | 219 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for your October (I mean, Creeptober) reading.

You are free to fangirl as much as you like here:

Or complain if the book is boring you to death:

If you think we must also absolutely read this book, this is where you scream about it.

I will try to facilitate discussion by asking some questions as we go!

So... anyone reading anything good yet? I haven't started 😂

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) Now that the book is out, I am reading my ARC of Warcross, and it is amazing.

message 4: by Simant (new)

Simant Verma (allthatissim) I haven't started yet :D

Oh man, Warcross... Jealous! I haven't started either xD I've been having to teach evening classes on top of my regular work... I don't even know how I'm making time for the blog as it is :D but soon. SOON™

Honestly, I can't believe I haven't started reading my ARC yet 😭

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace (turnspageslowly) | 13 comments I’m about 20% in to my book! It’s going well, with the mystery set up but for some reason, it’s just not holding my attention yet. 😅

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Well, here's my review for Death By Wolf Bite. (Click here!) It just wasn't something that grabbed my attention...

Samantha (WLABB) (samanthawlabb) Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Oh man, Warcross... Jealous! I haven't started either xD I've been having to teach evening classes on top of my regular work... I don't even know how I'm making time for the blog as it is :D but so..."
Warcross was as awesome as everyone is saying

Oh wow Sheila, you were fast! Don't forget to score yourself some points in the score thread :) I was going to make a separate review thread, but I certainly didn't think someone would finish and review that fast! I am truly impressed and... going to make that review sharing thread now 😃

Sam, I am jealous! I want to read it too 😊

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Oh wow Sheila, you were fast! Don't forget to score yourself some points in the score thread :) I was going to make a separate review thread, but I certainly didn't think someone would finish and r..."

Yeah, that sounds good! I wasn't exactly sure where to put the link, so I guessed her would work. From now on I'll post them there! And thanks--I try to write a review right away while everything is fresh.

message 12: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Hindmarch (bethanmay) | 14 comments I'm on chapter three of my book and finding it slow going, but I think that's my problem with the language rather than the books problem.

Aw, that's too bad, Bethan. Is that the Welsh book you're reading now?

Meanwhile, I've started reading Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet and now I'm really sorry I have waited all this time to read it 😱 you have no idea how hooked I am! I went to bed late yesterday and boyfriend was actually waiting up for me, and he said "so did you finish it? Cause I thought that would be the only way you'd stop reading" 😂 I am only like 20% in, but it's got cake, magic, slaves, mysterious ghosts and evil. Loads of that. And a mysterious past. And! You can read it out of order. Which I didn't choose to do. Anyway, it's amazing!

message 14: by Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (last edited Oct 16, 2017 09:42AM) (new)

So I finished my book (Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet), and actually??? IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

So the group is already paying off, woohoo!

I just don't know when I'll be posting the review, as the review slots on my blog are absolutely taken up. Whoops!

message 15: by Marta (new)

Marta Pascual Perez (martapasperez) | 21 comments I am reading this ARC, Velzen 115. It was sent to me by the publisher and honestly I think this might be the worst book I have read in my entire life. Velzen 115 is a syfy, that deals with politics. There are several universes (being form the first to the third less developed) and so the people from the higher universes wants to blow up the first universe because is slowing the progress of the rest of the universes. So one senator scape and tries to stop it. Sounds good, right? Well, it's not. Plot wise nothing happen (I am like a 100 pages in) and is very confusing as nothing has been explained, there was zero world building. There are many characters but I cannot really paint a mental image of them as in one sentence they are male and in the next female and then male again and female again. Also, the book is written in Spanish, and grammarwise the genre is important, actually all the grammar in this book is a disaster and don't even get me started on the ortography. 😢😢

Oh my, poor Marta! If a book has poor grammar and spelling, then it's already a clue that it has not been edited and suffers from poor quality. Actually, the premise sounds great, but I know what you mean. Sci-fi sometimes suffers from too much politics... But if we're talking bad grammar than it's even worse. I hope you can skim through it and give it a 2 star review! So nobody else has to suffer reading it :D

message 17: by Marta (new)

Marta Pascual Perez (martapasperez) | 21 comments Thanks Evelina😊. I am consider DNFing (and I almost never DNF books) it as is so bad...

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Northern Plunder) (northernplunder) I've read a bunch of books this month though not all ARCs.

Here are the ARCs I've read so far:

Carnivore: The most controversial debut literary thriller of 2017 - dude, this is single handidly the most f*cked up thing I've read? It needs TW galore. I still loved it though.

Lighter Than My Shadow - I thought this would be a lot shorter than it was but still the impact and journey it told is v important. Its a true story about the authors life w an eating disorder and dealing w abuse. V powerful.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiejudgesbooks) | 8 comments I have no idea if I want to read this book - the vocabulary is totally inappropriate! It is supposed to be happening in Celtic times (or as the book itself says, almost 2000 years ago) but still the words used ON THE FIRST PAGE are 'mirror' and 'make up'. I know they had things like that but they wouldn't call them the same? I am seriously considering DNFing it :(

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Katie wrote: "I have no idea if I want to read this book - the vocabulary is totally inappropriate! It is supposed to be happening in Celtic times (or as the book itself says, almost 2000 years ago) but still th..."

That's a detail that really bothers me as well.

Lauren, Light Than My Shadow sounds good!
Katie, they actually didn't have mirrors, I think. Mirrors are very hard to make, humans weren't very good at it for a long time! I would also be rolling my eyes at that.