What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA-ish Young woman eats rat poison on crackers, lives with doctor's family, watches swans flying. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison Williams (allisonkwilliams) | 4 comments Read it in 1984-85
It was in my fifth grade teacher's classroom but it wasn't a school book and almost certainly too old for me.

A young woman, who I think works as a nurse, decides to commit suicide. She eats crackers with rat poison and peanut butter on them. But she doesn't die right away. She gets taken in by a doctor(?) and his wife/family and lives there for days(?) a week(?). There's an extended metaphor about watching the swans fly overhead.

SPOILER

She dies at the end. I think at night and outside while watching the swans.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?
Did the story focus on the woman's recovery or the events leading up to the suicide attempt?

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison Williams (allisonkwilliams) | 4 comments I read it in paperback and the cover was dark blue. I feel like it was a young woman sitting with her back against a tree (her back oriented toward the book spine) and looking up at birds flying across a moon.

Standalone.

Modern story for the time--I read it in the mid-80's and I don't think it was historical.

The story spends most of the time when she's slowly dying and living in the other people's home. I think the book ends with her actual death. Maybe it was about learning to value your own life only for her it was too late?

Thanks!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Allison, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Allison (new)

Allison Williams (allisonkwilliams) | 4 comments I never did find it :)

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Allison, why does the young woman (possibly nurse) want to kill herself? Does she have family or a romantic interest?

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison Williams (allisonkwilliams) | 4 comments That's why I really found this book weird (in fifth grade) - she's just tired of life!