Diversity in All Forms! discussion

Monthly Book Suggestions > Abkhazia, Albania, or Algeria (November 2018)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariah Roze (last edited Oct 13, 2017 04:56AM) (new)

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 1393 comments Mod
Hello Members! Since we have more than 1,000 people I put up a poll to vote on if we should add another book and enough people said yes. We will be reading a book that takes place in every country and territory in the world. We would go alphabetically in order. This way we can learn about all the different places in the world.

We are combining the first three places, so suggestions for any of these places will work. Please suggest books that were written in, take place in or was written by an author from there: Abkhazia, Albania, or Algeria.

You have till 10/15/17 to suggest books :)

**I was inspired to do this by my older brother who is the youngest person to travel the world and who is pending multiple world records. If you are interested in learning more about him here is his URL: http://www.wanderingdentist.com/

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments This sounds really fun! Can you link us to the list you're using in case countries and territories change before we're finished?

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments Or are you using the list on your brother's website? I should probably assume that.

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 25 comments Albany is the capital of New York. I assume you mean Albania.

PeekingLlama - Laura Abkhazia
Under Siege Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom Trier Under Siege: Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom Trier

Albania
Broken April by Ismail Kadare Broken April by Ismail Kadare

Algeria
The Plague by Albert Camus The Plague by Albert Camus

There is no country called Albany. So like Shomeret I assume you mean Albania.

message 6: by Mariah Roze (new)

PeekingLlama - Laura wrote: "Abkhazia
Under Siege Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom TrierUnder Siege: Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom Trier

Albania
[bookcover:Broken ..."

Shomeret wrote: "Albany is the capital of New York. I assume you mean Albania."

Good catch! Thank you!

message 7: by Mariah Roze (new)

Algeria =

The Eight (The Eight #1) by Katherine Neville The Eight by Katherine Neville
Computer expert Cat Velis is heading for a job to Algeria. Before she goes, a mysterious fortune teller warns her of danger, and an antique dealer asks her to search for pieces to a valuable chess set that has been missing for years...In the South of France in 1790 two convent girls hide valuable pieces of a chess set all over the world, because the game that can be played with them is too powerful....

message 8: by Cam (new)

Cam I would prefer not to read white Western authors for Algeria if the aim of the group is to read more diversely.

Unfortunately Algerian literature has been written mostly in Arabic and French and has not received a lot of attention from translators... But some options:
* The Barbary Figs, Rachid BoudjedraThe Barbary Figs
* The Obstinate Snail, Rachid BoudjedraThe Obstinate Snail
* The Savage Night, Mohammed DibThe Savage Night
* Fantasia, Assia DjebarFantasia or Women of Algiers in Their Apartment (Assia Djebar has been seen a strong contender for the Nobel Prize for Literature for years)

Heavy read but a classic: The Wretched of the Earth, Frantz Fanon The Wretched of the Earth

Amara Lakhous is Algerian but his books take place in Italy. The cast of characters is diverse and the books are an enjoyable read, lighter in tone than what I've suggested above. Clash of Civilizations Over an Elevator in Piazza Vittorio Divorce Islamic Style

If you read French, I strongly suggest Kateb Yacine's Nedjma and anything by Fellag, Rachid Mimouni and Kaouther Adimi.

message 9: by Cam (new)

Cam PeekingLlama - Laura wrote: "Abkhazia
Under Siege Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom TrierUnder Siege: Inter-Ethnic Relations in Abkhazia by Tom Trier

Albania
[bookcover:Broken ..."

Broken April sounds interesting.

message 10: by Caraina (new)

Caraina (raina79) | 3 comments Albania
Chronicle in Stone by Ismail Kadare by Ismail Kadare

message 11: by Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (last edited Oct 09, 2017 04:30PM) (new)

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 18 comments Algeria: The Lovers of Algeria by Anouar Benmalek https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3....

Albania: Pran of Albania by Elizabeth Miller
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...,
Abkhazia: Chik and His Friends by Fazil Iskander,
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...,

message 12: by Cam (new)

Cam Anouar Benmalek has been on my TBR for months so I'd be happy to get added "pressure" to read his work.
Ismail Kadare's novels also sounds interesting.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Would like to second 'Broken April' by Ismail Kadare for Albania

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Finocchiaro (fino) | 11 comments Benjamin Stora’s history of Algeria was informative. Tom Shapard’s Invention of Decolonization is really academic - struggling thru it

message 15: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (bookfanatic66) Abkhazia
Sandro of Chegem by Fazil Iskander
This author is from Abkhazia

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 123 comments The Meurault Investigation by Kamel Daoud. It's set in Algeria and is their take on what happened in the trial in The Stranger by Albert Camus. Actually that's set in Algeria, also. They're both short books so I would suggest reading both of them to get two sides of the same story.

message 17: by Mariah Roze (new)

Book that were messaged to me:

Women of Algiers in Their Apartment by Assia Djebar

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomassurm) | 1 comments There is no country called Abkhazia. It´s occupied by Russia.

message 19: by Mariah Roze (new)

Thomas wrote: "There is no country called Abkhazia. It´s occupied by Russia."

It's not a country. It's a territory and we are doing countries and territories.

message 20: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) I would go with Fantasia by Assia Djebar

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra The Stranger by Albert Camus The Stranger by Albert Camus.
He comes from Algeria, lived there for 27 years and the book takes place there as well.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 123 comments Albert Camus was a Frenchman living in Algeria. Last year The Meursault Investigation by Kamel Daoud came out writing about the investigation from an indigenous Algerian point of view. I think reading both books would make for a very interesting discussion.

message 23: by Cam (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:45PM) (new)

Cam Algeria was a French colony where the northern regions were considered a full part of France. I agree with Lisa that Camus was therefore an Algerian only in the pre-1962 sense of the term (Algerians=European settlers). L'Etranger could be set anywhere, as save for "the Arab" that he kills and a couple of place names, Camus describes European life amongst Europeans. L'Etranger might be a philosophical tale on belonging and existentialism, but it is an incredibly racist one. This would be like picking a book by Rudyard Kipling when wanting to read about India.
Also the American translation of L'Etranger (The Stranger) has been criticised for its inaccuracies. The newest translation (called The Outsider) is supposedly closer to the French. I've only read the French and the second translation so I can't personally compare.
Kamel Daoud's writing is full of stereotypes, but it is much more readable. Its stereotyping of Algerians has sparked plenty of "responses to Kamel Daoud" from other Algerian writers, so the discussion goes on (but only in French and Arabic at the moment).

Apologies for the very lengthy post.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 123 comments They're both novels, fiction and are written from each of their points of view. They're also both short books. I think that reading the two of them together makes for a very good study.

message 25: by Cam (new)

Cam @Lisa: Totally agree that it'd be great to read them together if people don't mind reading two books. They're both quick reads and easily available.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Blocker (chrisblocker) | 5 comments Mariah wrote: "We will be reading a book that takes place in every country and territory in the world. We would go alphabetically in order."

I was just noticing that Afghanistan seems to have been skipped. Any reason?

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 123 comments I don't know but I read "The Pearl that Broke Its Shell" a few months ago and recommend that one for Afghanistan if we get to reading something from that country.

message 28: by Mariah Roze (new)

Lisa wrote: "I don't know but I read "The Pearl that Broke Its Shell" a few months ago and recommend that one for Afghanistan if we get to reading something from that country."

OMG! I totally missed that country! Thank you! I will send out a message tomorrow asking for book suggestions :) That will be our January read!

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris Blocker (chrisblocker) | 5 comments Mariah wrote: "OMG! I totally missed that country! Thank you! I will send out a message tomorrow asking for book suggestions :) That will be our January read! "

Honestly, the alphabet is overrated anyway. :)

message 30: by Mariah Roze (last edited Nov 17, 2017 11:40AM) (new)

Chris wrote: "Mariah wrote: "OMG! I totally missed that country! Thank you! I will send out a message tomorrow asking for book suggestions :) That will be our January read! "

Honestly, the alphabet is overrated..."

Thank you for being kind Chris :)

message 31: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments There's not actually a full list on your brother's website. Can you link us to the compiled list you're going off of? Sorry for being a pain; I'd like to make a chart for myself to track my progress.

message 32: by Mariah Roze (new)

Hannah wrote: "There's not actually a full list on your brother's website. Can you link us to the compiled list you're going off of? Sorry for being a pain; I'd like to make a chart for myself to track my progress."

No problem at all! Here is the list he made and sent to me so I use it :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
Feel free to share it!

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 38 comments Mariah wrote: "Hannah wrote: "There's not actually a full list on your brother's website. Can you link us to the compiled list you're going off of? Sorry for being a pain; I'd like to make a chart for myself to t..."

Thank you!!!