Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Young Adult Fiction > Writing YA vs speaking to YA

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Schatz (steveschatz) | 6 comments I hit an interesting bump. I was talking to my local library about doing a reading of my soon to be released book. The first in the series Adima Rising has enjoyed some success and the second book, Adima Returning, is coming out in October. While the characters are in 9th grade, I wrote the book for all ages. Most of my readings have been attended by mostly adults. I'm quite comfortable reading, answering questions and chatting with folks of all ages. My publisher made the decision to market the book as YA.

However, this library has a floor that is age restricted (I think under 18 only). If I do a YA reading it would be on this floor. As I have thought about it, I find myself rather shy. I'm a 61 year old guy. I don't have kids and don't hang out with kids on a regular basis. I'm not scared, I'm uneasy. It is the same feeling that troubles me on the topic that I draw on Hopi culture often (particularly in Adima Returning). I've studied the Hopi enough to know I can never truly understand what it is to be Hopi. I don't think that only Hopi should write about Hopi and I don't think only YAs should write about or for YAs. Yet, I have a reluctance to speak in front of a YA only group. Hmmmm.

Any thoughts?
Steve Schatz

message 2: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 1010 comments This is coming from a teacher who has has years of experience with all ages, more experience actually with young people than adults. (I can actually get nervous around adults.) But you can just relate to young adults the way you would adults. I write books where the characters are twelve and fourteen and have given presentations to fifth graders, though fifth graders aren't quite young adults.