World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Wealth & Economics > How much do you spend on energy (natural gas & electricity)?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 08, 2017 12:56PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Apparently, in Australia, the energy bill is a large portion of the household budget.

For those of you who live in Australia, how much of your budget is spent on energy (natural gas and electricity)?

In the California San Francisco Bay Area, during the peak in summer, my energy bill was about 2% of my monthly budget.

How about for others worldwide?
A new national survey reveals the cost of energy has emerged as both the leading cause of budget stress and the most pressing political issue facing the nation.

The survey also shows that households don’t trust energy retailers — blaming them the most for high prices — or have confidence that politicians can fix the problem.
A new national survey of what people consider to be the most pressing issues reveals energy costs, terrorism and housing affordability are way out in front.

When asked to select three priority areas for the Federal Government, 54 per cent of respondents to a Galaxy Research poll for the Australian Futures Project included energy costs; 48 per cent nominated terrorism and security and 46 per cent said housing affordability.

Just 16 per cent put same-sex marriage in their top three. Job security, education, the environment and stable government all outranked same-sex marriage.

(http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/...)
Interestingly, in South Australia, Musk is going to build the largest capacity battery ever.
The project, which will bring 129 megawatt-hours of power storage to some of Australia’s most arid regions, will store enough renewable energy for later use to power 30,000 homes.

(https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-...)

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10662 comments Electricity in New Zealand is a fine example that "market forces" do not lead to cheaper consumer prices. When I bought my current house, electricity was over an order of magnitude cheaper (but because of currency inflation, I can't be bothered to work out exactly how much) and I can only recall one outage over about 15 years while the government electricity department ran it. When it was privatised in a neoliberal excess, the prices surged, and in a few years outages became common where I live as equipment was run on a "cost optimisation" strategy, and of course, salaries in the various companies for executives surged.

It is gradually becoming ore efficient, but as with a lot of things following privatisation, maintenance is a cost that is minimised.

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments We do have very expensive energy prices. Our bill has just reduced enormously, due to the installation of a smart meter, which offsets the power generated from our roof mounted solar panels against our usage during the generation period.

Sadly, our provider only offsets in the generation period (ie. sunlight) not generation gross vs usage gross.

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) In) the upper Midwestern U.S. our energy costs vary greatly by season. At my house our summer energy costs are about 5% of our monthly household budget. In the winter it goes to 25%. It may be different in other households......our summer bill is low because air conditioning is forbidden in my house (can't stand it) and other households start running the a/c as soon as the temps hit 75 degrees.

Home heating is the big issue here and every year there are poor and old people in places like Detroit, Milwaukee and Cleveland who are found dead of hypothermia in their own homes.

message 5: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1753 comments I m in the American Southwest, so the opposite of Holly. Most people here have higher utility costs when its warm because winter is mild. But we are in a desert so overnight lows can be a drop of 35 degrees in spring and fall. I live in what they refer to as the high desert so we can get down to freezing, our winter daytime highs of 50s, and our summer highs average the low 90s.

Mine is 4% to 8% depending on the season. I am the person who doesn't like being cold so my winter bills are higher. Two years ago I replaced my old mid 70s heater and swamp cooler for a heat pump and I installed new windows. Prior to doing that my electric bill was literally twice the usage amount that it is now.

The costs are also going to vary based on size of home and number of people. I live alone and my house is around 1100 square feet, all one level. In Arizona most of us don't have basements or attics. My house is built on a cement slab on the ground.

message 6: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2248 comments Ian wrote: "Electricity in New Zealand is a fine example that "market forces" do not lead to cheaper consumer prices. When I bought my current house, electricity was over an order of magnitude cheaper (but bec..."
Same here in the US...the less energy you use the higher the rates climb. Favorite reason to the regulators is "we need to raise rates because people are using less."