Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Thoughts on the film "Tomboy"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rustom (new)

Rustom | 2 comments Hi,
I recently watched the French 2011 film "Tomboy" as part of a Philosophy of Film module I am taking at university. It raises many questions about sex and gender and the possible distinction between the two.
I was wondering for those of you who have seen the film. What were your thoughts about it?
If you haven't watched the film I would recommend it.

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments i will look that up Rustom thanks. If I may I soil like to extend the question to the phenomenon of Tomboy. I always found it a sexist concept, the idea a woman can do what men do when young but was always understood she was expected to grow out of it.

On the other hand being a tomboy did give girls a chance at least to express themselves.

message 3: by Garance (new)

Garance (bgarance) | 8 comments Hi everyone. Being French I have had the chance to see Tomboy in theaters when it was released here. I loved the movie on many levels, the 2 most important ones being:
- as a movie spectator
- for its powerful message about gender in education and during youth.
It’s actually funny as I’ve just finished reading Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Manifesto for a feminist education and I think these two works resonate well together.
What we go through during our childhood, what our parents teach us, what type of society we live in, everything is crucial to the gender question and the definition of each being. These two projects illustrate how we don’t question enough the social bias we live in and raise our children in.
Both worth diving into.

message 4: by Garance (new)

Garance (bgarance) | 8 comments And yes Ross to concur with you, Adichie’s actually illustrates the sexism of such expressions as “tomboy” in her manifesto as well. Her point being that no one, either girl nor boy, should be prevented from doing what they like to do best, especially on a gender basis. And that education should be more about allowing children to become who they truly are than what society pressures them to be.

message 5: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hmmm, yet another film to add to my list. Thanks, Rustom! :)

message 6: by Rustom (new)

Rustom | 2 comments Ross wrote: "i will look that up Rustom thanks. If I may I soil like to extend the question to the phenomenon of Tomboy. I always found it a sexist concept, the idea a woman can do what men do when young but wa..."

Absolutely agree! Why should it be that society gets to define how you have to behave? It again comes down to the fact that people are afraid of change and as they've been brought up knowing one way of life, when another comes along they automatically reject it.

message 7: by Laure (new)

Laure | 390 comments I think one very important message of "Tomboy" is about childhood and the gendered expectations of adults on children. It's a good movie, not only because of the story and the message, but also the young actress' performance, and the way it is shot!
I also really liked Céline Sciamma's first movie, "Water Lilies", and her other movies ("My Life as a Courgette", an animated film of which she wrote the screenplay, and "Girlhood") have been for long on my to-watch list.