Collaborating Teachers discussion

Grades K-2 Book Discussions > Independent reading titles Grade 2

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordan (last edited Oct 08, 2017 08:12AM) (new)

Jordan Moore | 44 comments Mod
I am working with a group of Grade 2 students who are part of a K-2 split class several times per week to work on reading. My plan is to be doing guided reading/conferring with students during this time. Borrowing from the daily 5 model, I’d like the students I’m not working with to read independently and read with others while I’m working with a student or small group. I have never worked with early readers before and am very unfamiliar with engaging book titles for this age. In their reading boxes, most are reading very dry books that follow simple sentence structures on topics like “All about me” and “Things we do at school”. I find that engagement and motivation to read independently is very low and I have a hunch it has to do with these types of books.

Any recommendations or suggestions for engaging titles at this early reading stage would be appreciated!

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Dienstbier | 13 comments Oldies but goodies that students always enjoyed once they had experienced a read aloud or book talk:

Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline
All the Syd Hof books even though they are dated - Sammy the Seal, Danny and the Dinosaur, Grizzwold

Henry and Mudge series by Cynthia Rylant
Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen

Also the Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCammilo and Super Fly by Todd Doodler have positive recommendations.

My students enjoyed non-fiction from Go Facts and also some National Geographic titles.

The PM+ books at higher levels that are non-fiction as well as the folk tales and fairy tales in the same series have always been popular.

Oxford Reading Tree Magic Key series of Biff and Chip books is a favorite. Once students are introduced to the magic key adventures they have to read all the books in the series.

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana | 20 comments The Year of Billy Miller, Beverly Cleary books, Julie B Jones, I Survived series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Ricky Ricotta, the Bone series, Amulet, and anything by Raina Telgemeier are popular in my room!

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 40 comments Mod
Thanks for the recommendations!

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Moore | 44 comments Mod
Thanks so much for all the book recs!