Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > White Wednesday Campaign

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashkan (new)

Ashkan Naeimi | 7 comments White Wednesday is a fairly new but growing campaign started by Iranian journalist,women's rights activist Masih Alinejad to help women in Iran in the battle against compulsory hijab .
It began by women wearing white outfits on Wednesday to show their dissatisfaction with the compulsory clouting laws made by Iran's government and it grow to become a collaboration between men and women in Iran whom are against the fact to be told what to wear and it continued to be supported even by people whom are not against wearing hijab but believe that it is a choice .
Now dear members of O.S.S , i as human and as a Iranian like to ask all of you to join and participate to help Iranian women fight against the compulsory hijab and become an important part of history in the worldwide feminism movement that will be remembered by the future generations.
for helping and supporting this movement you can do the following:
tweet #whitewednesday #masihalinejad
take a picture of your self with a writing that says Its a Choice and withe the hashtags above post them on twitter or other social medias.

Thank You.

#whitewednesday #masihalinejad #itsachoice

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments I shall be supporting this its about a woman right to choose.

message 3: by Dr. Paula (new)

Dr. Paula Trimble-Familetti (paulatrimble-familetti) | 3 comments Thank you for this suggestion. I have my white clothes picked out for Wednesday.

message 4: by Shayesteh (new)

Shayesteh | 10 comments It’s really good to see more Iranian people in here,
I have my white outfit ready for Wednesday!

message 5: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 391 comments Masih Alinejad's Facebook site is only in Persian, so it's not really comfortable for international audiences. But I found another site on FB where she seems to be involved and fortunately it is in English, too! There you can find updates on #whitewednesday and the current protests in Iran!

https://www.facebook.com/StealthyFreedom

All the best to the courageous women, feminists and allies participating in these protests! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you from here in Vienna.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertwkessler) | 62 comments I love hijab, but agree that it should not be compulsory to wear, nor should people be disallowed from wearing if they so desire.

Goodreads is about as close to social media as I get so I'll not be #ing, but will gladly wear my white in support. Thank you for posting Ashkan!