Play Book Tag discussion

Sing, Unburied, Sing
This topic is about Sing, Unburied, Sing
Archive: Other Books > Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments I finished this last night, in the dark. You see, my ‘clever’ plan was to read nonspooky books at night, while reading It during the day. Yep. Oops.
This has ghosts. And voodoo. Just enough to be a little scary.
Jojo is a thirteen year old son of two addicts. He and his 3 year old sister Kayla live with their maternal grandparents, while his mother works at a bar and his father is getting out of prison. His white grandparents want nothing to do with them.
Everyone in this book has secrets, and most of them can see ghosts. Ghosts that, for the most part, want peace. At its heart, it’s about family, and what a father should be. I know that sounds crazy, but it works.
Jesmyn Ward is a talented writer, who understands how to make her point subtle, yet effective. And though her ghosts are scary, her humans are scarier. Leonie and Michael, Jojo’s parents are terrible parents, and awful people in general. Michael’s father is beyond contemptible. Everyone else has nuances of good and bad. Like real life.
All in all, a very good read, that I would recommend to anyone who doesn’t mind magic.

Booknblues | 5759 comments I recently read Ward's Salvage the Bones and agree that she is a very talented author. I hope to read this one very soon.

message 3: by Denizen (new) - added it

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Good review, Tracy. I need to make time for either this book or Ward's earlier book.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I just downloaded this on audio and it is up next for me!

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments I liked, but did not love, Salvage the Bones. I recognized Ward's writing talent, however, and plan to read this one .. eventually.

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments So too much magic for me, Tracy? If you give it 4.5 stars, I feel I must consider . . .but you know the whole ghosts thing might kill it for me.

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments Anita wrote: "So too much magic for me, Tracy? If you give it 4.5 stars, I feel I must consider . . .but you know the whole ghosts thing might kill it for me."
I’m not sure- the magic is ghosts and people who can see them. I think you’d like the story- if you can overlook the macabre. It would hit two categories in next month’s tag choices.