Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's September 2017 Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Oct 08, 2017 06:28AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments A Beautiful Place to Die (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #1) by Malla Nunn A Beautiful Place to Die. Malla Nunn. Read by Saul Reichlin. 5/5

An English detective is called in to investigate a crime in a South African village. Wonderfully drawn characters and an interesting dive into Apartheid South Africa. I enjoyed the mystery and the complexities of that culture. Unfortunately a reviewer revealed a late breaking twist I would have preferred to have been a surprise, but I enjoyed the book nonethless and look forward to reading more.

Exit Strategy (Nick Mason, #2) by Steve Hamilton Exit Strategy. Steve Hamilton. 5/5

Second in the series starring hitman Nick Mason, this was a compelling read that had me quickly turning the pages toward the end. Nick has been charged by Darius Cole to take out witnesses set to testify against Darius’s efforts to reverse the charges that have him serving a life sentence. Nick is determined to end this unholy alliance, but the odds aren’t good. The dilemma of a reluctant hitman is a curious premise for a series, and I thought the outcome would be a little different. That said, and despite the high rating, not sure I will continue if there are more in the series. There is no upside to Nick’s situation, and my reading about it, and there is plenty of unpleasantness. Life is too short.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins Into the Water. Paula Hawkins. Read by Rachel Bavidge. 4/5

Like The Girl on the TrainThe Girl on The Train, this is a messy and complicated novel. As many have said there are too many characters introduced all at once, none of them likeable. The novel starts out like a ghost story but then the mystery emerges and it becomes interesting. It helped to write down the characters; keeping track might be easier with a print copy. The narration was fine; several actors were used but I don’t think that helped.

Glass Houses (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #13) by Louise Penny Glass Houses. Louise Penny. Read by Robert Bathurst. 4/5

A stranger arrives in Three Pines and sets off a series of events which of course culminate in murder. The investigation runs parallel to a risky strategic initiative Inspector Gamache is leading at the Sureté, which heightens the suspense of the story. Penny does a brilliant job of weaving in an obscure cultural phenomenon that will likely send many of us to Wikipeda in search of details. The narration of Bathurst is growing on me; I am no longer pining for the late Ralph Cosham. The audio version is followed by an interview of Penny by Bathurst which turns into an illuminating and uplifting conversation. Louise Penny is getting more press with the release of this book, and the more I see/hear her the more I like her.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Carol, I have into the water to read on my kindle.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments The South African series by Malla Nunn is intense. My favorite is the second one.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Wow Carol! You've got some good ones for September :)

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Nice month Carol! It was good to hear you liked Into the Water,I have wondered about it.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Shomeret wrote: "The South African series by Malla Nunn is intense. My favorite is the second one."

Yes, Shomeret, thanks for the recommendation. I have the second one on my TBR pile so with your comment I will look forward to it.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments A good month. I won't be reading any more Nick Mason stories. I only read this one because I got an ARC. Glad you liked both it and Into the Water better than I did. It appears that Hawkins doesn't know how to write a likable character.