Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Linking Book To Amazon

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kazz (new)

Kazz Mossman (karenjmossman) | 63 comments Hi,

How do I link my book to Amazon? I had just assumed that under the description where it says Amazon UK, it would take a potential buyer to Amazon. However, it doesn't. It takes them to every book with the same name.

How can I make sure the link goes to my book. I've looked around to see where I can do it, but it's not obvious.

Can you advise, please?

Many thanks
Kazz

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Which book?

message 3: by Kazz (new)

Kazz Mossman (karenjmossman) | 63 comments Any of my books. I've checked The Truth Will Out, The Missing and The Secret, it's says Get a Copy, but just generic.

Here is an example:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Only the editions with ISBN or ASIN link to the bookstore.

The example you linked, is an alternative cover edition. People who want to find the book on Amazon, need to clink on the ASIN link in the description to be taken to the edition with the ASIN. That edition links to Amazon.

(FYI, the ASIN needs to stay with the edition first added to Goodreads. But users generally know how to find the edition they want on Amazon.)

message 5: by Kazz (new)

Kazz Mossman (karenjmossman) | 63 comments That is a bit confusing. I clicked the ASIN number at the top of the description and it took me to the old cover.

I've looked on the one with the current cover and can't find where the ASIN number is.

Underneath the description it says Get A Copy, which leads the reader to believe if they clicked on it, they can get a copy of the book. Some of them presented with all the alternatives, just won't bother. I know I wouldn't.

So, I need to change the button to have it lead to my book as its misleading when it doesn't. Can you tell me how I do that?

Thanks
Kazz

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6668 comments The buttons are user designated. This isn't a librarian issue.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Karen wrote: "That is a bit confusing. I clicked the ASIN number at the top of the description and it took me to the old cover."

Yes, and on the old cover you can click the Get A Copy link and be taken to the book on Amazon.

message 8: by Kazz (new)

Kazz Mossman (karenjmossman) | 63 comments So there is no way I can get the button to go directly to Amazon from the current book?

It doesn't say anywhere for the reader to go back up and click the ASIN number then go down and to the Get A Copy and that button will work this time.

It is confusing and doesn't make sense. So if you are saying there is no way to change it, I can just add the link into the description instead.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6668 comments Karen wrote: "I can just add the link into the description instead."

It is against policy to have links in the description.

message 10: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments No links to outside websites allowed in the description. As I wrote in msg #4, users generally know how to find the edition they want on Amazon.

And as Elizabeth wrote in msg #6, this isn't a librarian's group issue.

message 11: by Kazz (new)

Kazz Mossman (karenjmossman) | 63 comments Ah, I see, thanks Tim. I thought I wasn’t explaining properly. But now I know that it is actually an issue and nothing can be done, I’ll live with with. Like we all do.

Thank you (and no, I won’t Add a link in the description !)