Play Book Tag discussion

The Importance of Being Earnest
This topic is about The Importance of Being Earnest
Archive: Other Books > The Importance of Being Ernest - Oscar Wilde. 2.9 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8873 comments Honestly, its hard to give Oscar Wilde beneath a three. But, I felt compelled to. Ultimately couldn't. I read this years ago and loved it. But now in my later years, it just didn't hit me in the same way. Its a quick little read. Cute and silly. Not a not to be missed by any stretch. I read it at a seventh grade soccer match in Rhode Island. Our team won, 2-1.

This book was on the top pages of the shelf for "society," but I am a stickler for the monthly tags in my reading group. To me, this didn't speak much to society, except maybe satirically. I like to make sure I have a book that truly and classically fits. In the middle of the night, I started Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. This will be my society book. City of Light, City of Poison counts as society too, as did Gone With the Wind, but none fit so classically as Lean In will.

Tracy (tstan) | 1208 comments I read this after my sister was in a high school production of it. I thought it was good, but way better when performed. Years later I saw the movie with Colin Firth and Judi Dench,( among many others), and decided that sometimes the movie really is better. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my screen. Mmmm Colin Firth...

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8873 comments Oh yeah! That would've bumped up my rating.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6026 comments Tracy wrote: "I read this after my sister was in a high school production of it. I thought it was good, but way better when performed...."

Totally agree .... I dislike reading plays, in general. The medium is intended to be performed and that's how I prefer to experience plays.