Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

The Writing Process > Prepositions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments OK, so I have to ask. Any other writers here often end sentences in prepositions? My trusty PWA keeps flagging me for doing this and I'm wondering it this grammatical rule is one of the biggies or can be safely ignored?

As an example, "What are you talking about?" would be a sentence ending in a preposition. As would anything ending in up or down.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments I edit them more in prose than dialogue. I don’t bother in dialogue. It’s the way people speak. I won’t stilt my dialogue because of that rule.

Missing Remnants is a challenge because it’s written in the first person. The main character Track is not a member of the British aristocracy and as such finishes sentences will all kinds of words!

message 3: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Amy wrote: "I edit them more in prose than dialogue. I don’t bother in dialogue. It’s the way people speak. I won’t stilt my dialogue because of that rule.

Missing Remnants is a challenge because it’s writte..."

Good advice Amy! It is the way people talk so why should dialogue conform to the rule.

It must be hard to write British aristocracy. Wouldn't have a hope myself :)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments As I’m from saaaaaaf east England I wouldn’t stand a chance either.

My mother on the other hand annoyed me no end with her “do you not think...” rather than “don’t you think...” she wasn’t aristocracy either.

She had me rewrite a letter to a friend when I was about six. Apparently I was to use the work “received” rather than “got” when talking about birthday presents. I was six!

I digress... again!

message 5: by Carole (last edited Oct 08, 2017 03:50AM) (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4600 comments Mod
I have learned a lot bout all that grammar I've forgotten. It's so annoying. Yes, I agree with Amy- When they are talking you have to keep it interesting and real- With the prose- I guess you have to keep it correct.

message 6: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1417 comments Amy wrote: "I edit them more in prose than dialogue. I don’t bother in dialogue. It’s the way people speak. I won’t stilt my dialogue because of that rule.

Missing Remnants is a challenge because it’s writte..."

Right on the mark! In dialogue, I write the way people speak, including pauses, interruptions, and the like. The narrative is a completely different animal.

message 7: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell | 285 comments Seems a good consensus here then :D

message 8: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Boley (bernard_boley) | 27 comments In my mind, writing a novel isn't writing a thesis or a dissertation where academic rules should normally be observed.

Creating a character involves, among many other aspects, having a rather good idea of the way he will speak, of his own vocabulary, his linguistic style.

My role, as an author, is building a series of scenes, casting them and letting the characters deliver what needs to be delivered, each one speaking out in his own way. It's basically what I've learned from Luigi Pirandello's 'Six Characters In Search of an Author'.

My first novel, My Ripper Hunting Days, has a first-person POV diary form. So the narrative is written in the same style the main character speaks reflecting his personality.

My Ripper Hunting Days by Bernard Boley

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Oh I definitely agree with that.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 963 comments I agree with everyone here. The only time I think about grammar when speaking is during a job interview or business meeting. Keep it real and natural, so it flows easily smoothly in the readers' head. Hugs

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

My Ripper Hunting Days (other topics)