Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Not So Standard September 1/2

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments So I read a little more this September.

1)Starswept by Mary Fan (YA science fiction romance) 438 pages. Source: Amazon Kindle version but there's a page total. Started: 8/31 Finished: 9/5

Why Read: The central character is a musician. The author has a degree in music from Princeton. I'm interested in any fiction involving music.

Comments: Musicians need to find alien patrons by age 21. It's a dystopia, but there's also resistance to the dystopia. There are aspects that made this fresh. Rating A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

2) Wonder Woman, Volume 2: Year One by Greg Rucka (graphic novel) Source: Library Started: 9/5 Finished: 9/5

Why Read: I love Wonder Woman and I like the way Greg Rucka writes her stories.

Comments: Early history of Wonder Woman and how she got called that name. Very nice. B+

3)Perfiditas by Alison Morton (alternate history/thriller) Source: Author Started: 9/5 Finished: 9/10

Why Read: I like this alternate history series about a Roman colony that survived into the 21st century called Roma Nova. Oh, and it's a matriarchy. In this book there's an effort to overthrow the matriarchy.

Comments: I liked the fact that most men in Roma Nova supported the Imperatrix. Rating B. See my review at http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2017/...

4)Song of the Lion by Anne Hillerman (mystery) 291 pages.
Source: Library Started: 9/10 Finished: 9/12

Why Read: I really like the way Anne Hillerman handles Bernadette Manuelito.

Comments: This one had really good Joe Leaphorn characterization. Rating B+

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14404 comments Shomeret:
Starswept looks quite good!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I've got a sample of Starswept on my Kindle!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Interesting mix, as usual. Fun to see Greg Rucka as author of a Wonder Woman graphic novel!